18 year old - drinking waiver

Marleycruiser

They would not serve a minor directly but in my experience they turned a blind eye to what I did. I could have a drink in my hand an order a another drink (that my niece clearly told me to order in front of the server) and they would bring it to her. Once they walked away I would had it to her. Or she would order a drink and I'd go to a bar and order a shot and bring it back to her and she'd put it in her drink. At dinner the sommelier would clearly see her drinking from my glass but kept it full. On the last night even filled up the empty one as well as mine for her.

As for others wondering why I let her drink, she is responsible and not going out of control. Also she was also with me at all times and not running wild w/ friends around the ship getting in trouble stumbling drunk. We all (well most of us) did it as teens so I believe it should be up to the parent/guardian to make the decision on if they can have a drink or not.

All it takes is once, you apparently got lucky, you never know what will happen.

You can thank Ronald Reagan administration for the 21 and over law.

The public campaign against drunk driving took off like wildfire. One result of this is that Ronald Reagan’s administration tied funding for maintenance of the Interstate Highway system to a state’s changing their drinking age to 21. States were free (and still are) to make their drinking age anything they like, but if it wasn’t at least 21, they’d receive no federal funds for maintaining their portion of the Interstates that ran through them. That worked out to many millions of dollars states couldn’t afford to do without, so they all changed their drinking age to 21.

thats a very handy admin background fact- will remember that- thanks..

to op- i assume if you buy a bottle of wine they won't object to you pouring him a glass. if its only to join in at mealtimes....

after reading all of the post here i am left wondering why there are so many parents trying to find ways to get their kids be allowed to drink alcohol. Is it really so important for your kids to be able to drink alcohol while on a cruise or at home. This is a major problem in our country and we really should try to encourage kids to avoid things like alcohol and drugs rather than encourage them.

like!

So the waiver (https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Alcohol_Waiver_Celebrity.pdf) isn't valid on sailings departing the US?

What happens if staff doesn't card and the child is a "minor" on the ship but legal in the port of call?

It is usually not a matter of "carding" since the minor's cruise card will simply not work for alcoholic purchases. If somebody else buys the minor the drink he/she might get away with it. The ships have nothing to say about what happens off the ship..so if you are in a Port where they have a lower drinking age (such as Mexico) there is nothing to stop a minor passengers from drinking ashore.

Hank

like!

or teach your adults to drink responsibly - the young 18 plus people i see out at night here - france- are at least 50% Of the time drinking coke- or water in bars ...

alcohol will always be there in most countries - but like food conscious consumption and enjoyment over abuse is what you're aiming for. a small amount of something you like...

You can thank Ronald Reagan administration for the 21 and over law.

The public campaign against drunk driving took off like wildfire. One result of this is that Ronald Reagan’s administration tied funding for maintenance of the Interstate Highway system to a state’s changing their drinking age to 21. States were free (and still are) to make their drinking age anything they like, but if it wasn’t at least 21, they’d receive no federal funds for maintaining their portion of the Interstates that ran through them. That worked out to many millions of dollars states couldn’t afford to do without, so they all changed their drinking age to 21.

Nice spin, considering it was Congress that passed the law, which was written by the Democratic Senator from NJ, and pushed by the liberal MADD. But hey, Reagan Administration. And the consequence was losing 10% (since reduced to 8%) of highway funding, not all of it.

Three Pinocchios. But the good news is that you should be getting a job offer from CNN any minute now.

Nice spin, considering it was Congress that passed the law, which was written by the Democratic Senator from NJ, and pushed by the liberal MADD. But hey, Reagan Administration. And the consequence was losing 10% (since reduced to 8%) of highway funding, not all of it.

Three Pinocchios. But the good news is that you should be getting a job offer from CNN any minute now.

thanks....was just fact checking that.:)

Bobtails12.

Don’t assume, read the policy

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to under age drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while on board; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly will be considered for discipline .....

Yup, politically motivated Fake News. But look at how uncritically it was accepted by some posters.

Another factoid - it had 16 Dem sponsors and 4 Rep sponsors. But hey, Reagan.

fair enough - same reason why scotch and scottish whiskey distillers got pride of place 'after' prohibition - than irish whiskey then :)

Bobtails12.

Don’t assume, read the policy

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to under age drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while on board; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly will be considered for discipline .....

you're absolutely right - policy is 21..... but seems others guest have experienced a softer approach to that policy - so my 'assumption' is that within reason if for a celebration etc....

i am multiples of 21 :)and have found wine waiters etc fairly few and far between on the last few cruises in the mdr....so I don't know if they are out doing what i assume is called a ' hall monitor' on each table..:)...would explain where they are i suppose.

or teach your adults to drink responsibly - the young 18 plus people i see out at night here - france- are at least 50% Of the time drinking coke- or water in bars ...

alcohol will always be there in most countries - but like food conscious consumption and enjoyment over abuse is what you're aiming for. a small amount of something you like...

like!

you're absolutely right - policy is 21..... but seems others guest have experienced a softer approach to that policy - so my 'assumption' is that within reason if for a celebration etc....

i am multiples of 21 :)and have found wine waiters etc fairly few and far between on the last few cruises in the mdr....so I don't know if they are out doing what i assume is called a ' hall monitor' on each table..:)...would explain where they are i suppose.

But then you may have to deal with security, they are on the ship and not necessarily in uniform.

Also, there is always the annoying busybody who will take offense and alert a bartender or security.

But then you may have to deal with security, they are on the ship and not necessarily in uniform.

Also, there is always the annoying busybody who will take offense and alert a bartender or security.

absolutely- the policy is 21 on usa sailings - so a bit like wanting things differently on any other policy - you accept the policy of the ship/hotel/country etc you are in and that is the law there.

as in I am european - so being in certain states in the usa where i know there is probably a percentage of people around me carrying firearms - is uncomfortable knowledge for me - but then i have the choice not to travel in usa. ....

same as the original poster and the 18 yr old have the choice not to travel on a cruise from usa...

Waiting for this thread to go poof...

1) Their ship, their rules. They've decided to go with 21 for North America departures.

2) I don't pretend the web page is definitive, but it has links to the various state laws. https://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591 Twenty-nine (i.e., the majority) of states allow minors to drink in some scenarios in the presence of a parent or guardian. The last time I looked this up, I was shocked to find the number that actually allow it in public locations, such as restaurants. The general prohibition is on purchase; consumption is much more complicated.

3) Just to help the thread go "poof", the 98th United States Congress, which in 1984 passed the the National Minimum Legal Drinking Act (I remember it well; I was legal at 18, illegal at 20, and legal again a few months later) had a firm Republican majority in the Senate and a Democratic majority in the House. The bill passed the House on voice vote, and the Senate 81-16...

Waiting for this thread to go poof...

i do like the "poof" imagery....and have noticed that a lot of threads go poof just as they get interesting...( wouldn't have thought that helps their advertising revenue).

you know when you have been following a thread about the two ex wives on the same boat with the mistress and the ex dog and the cat that won't talk to them.....and then cc admin decide it's too interesting....go back to talking about dress codes :)

Yup, politically motivated Fake News. But look at how uncritically it was accepted by some posters.

It was accepted uncritically because what has been said is true. Legislation signed by a President during his term in office is rightly considered part of that administration's legacy. Last I checked, the President has veto power. In fact, you can read Reagan's remarks at this link when he signed the bill. Doesn't sound like someone who is running away from this bill at all (the opposite, in fact). Fake News, indeed. :rolleyes:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=40164

Actually they do have a 21 year old drinking age, the other stuff with parents does not apply to most social situations.

In Wisconsin, the "other stuff with parents" does apply to social situations -- if your parent/guardian is with or if you spouse is legal drinking age and is with you, you may possess/consume alcoholic beverages. So if you are at a church picnic with your parents, or on a river dinner cruise with your 22YO spouse, a 20YO could legally order and consume a beer or a brandy old-fashion or whatever. And since many of the posters are talking about a family cruise, where they are saying it is "OK" for their 18 or 19YO child to have a glass of wine with dinner -- if WI laws were applied it would be legal.

Big point here is even if FL or NJ had similar laws for a closed loop cruise, the cruise line could still choose to not serve underaged pax.

Hard to lecture people who were able to drink at a younger age when they were growing up. Or those who live where it's not so restrictive or who were raised in households where alcohol was not taboo.
Legal drinking age when I was in High School in the US in my home state was 18YO. Legal drinking age in many European countries is 18YO. I grew up to be a very responsible and moderate drinker. I know a lot of people who enjoy a drink or two, or a glass of wine with dinner. I know a couple - each 20YO - who are married, own a house, he runs his own business, she works full-time, and both are volunteer fire fighters -- but he can't enjoy a cold beer after mowing his lawn because he is under age.

It was accepted because any of the Political crap was irrelevant to the discussion. Nothing wrong with saying it passed during Reagan administration but the rest of the crap is Political and a violation of Community guidelines. The year and President under which it was changed and the reason (cut drunk driving) were relevant, the fake news crap and other comments were not.

Maybe they should raise the drinking age to 40:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/07/18/alcohol-related-liver-deaths-have-increased-sharply/?utm_term=.887fe4dda393

"Deaths from liver disease have increased sharply in recent years in the United States, according to a study published in the British Medical Journal. Cirrhosis-related deaths increased by 65 percent from 1999 to 2016, and deaths from liver cancer doubled, the study said. The rise in death rates was driven predominantly by alcohol-induced disease, the report said.

Over the past decade, people ages 25 to 34 had the highest increase in cirrhosis deaths — an average of 10.5 percent per year — of the demographic groups examined, researchers reported."

"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me"; Winston Churchill.

We have quietly passed drinks to our 20 year old onboard; no one cares. Don't be obnoxious about it, never flaunt it, don't over do it (plus pay in full, not part of a drink package). No ones getting kicked off the ship. Try being discreet and not acting like a fool and you will be fine...

Put me in the column that says it's irresponsible to advise the OP (or anyone else) to flaunt the rules -- so long as you do it discreetly. To me, it begs the question of what happens, if they (or their 18-20 y.o. kid) gets caught, and has to suffer the consequences. It's going to sound kind of lame, when they look at the head of ship's security and say: "Gee, the folks on Cruise Critic said that it was OK.." :rolleyes:

However, you will recall that the OP, in this case, is taking his/her kid to Bermuda -- where the drinking age is 18 (if my info is correct). During their three days on the island, the OP should have ample opportunity to raise a glass, with their responsible young adult, in any number of excellent establishments. I would heartily recommend Flanagan's Pub, on Hamilton's Front Street! :cool: