Beware of Celebrity Air

FolsomMike

I checked the Celebrity site for flights to Rome on 6/2/19 with Premium Economy and found flights with Delta that looked perfect. However, after determining that Celebrity doesn’t allow specific seat selections I called the airline and was told that neither flight to or from Rome had Premium Economy seats (confirmed this on their site). Luckily, I hadn’t booked the flights. Be sure to check any flight information that Celebrity shows with the airline before you commit.

I checked the Celebrity site for flights to Rome on 6/2/19 with Premium Economy and found flights with Delta that looked perfect. However, after determining that Celebrity doesn’t allow specific seat selections I called the airline and was told that neither flight to or from Rome had Premium Economy seats (confirmed this on their site). Luckily, I hadn’t booked the flights. Be sure to check any flight information that Celebrity shows with the airline before you commit.

I can find all kinds of flights, from my area (Phoenix) to Rome on your dates offering the seats you are looking for. Either they don't have any from your departure city or you are looking at the wrong class. They offer Comfort + ( more legroom, is what we book as I'm 6'4") and Premium Select. I didn't investigate very closely but besides the legroom, it has a few other perks not available at a lower class.

Each time we booked our flights with Choice Air we got our record locators, the logged into the airline website and chose our seats. No problem. We always call to book our air with Choice Air rather than doing it on line. We were told that was the only way to choose our seats. Easy peasy.

It sounds as if you do not understand HOW Choice Air works..

Often times, most passengers know their flight options and fares before going to CA's website so there is a basis for knowing if the flights selected are better $ wise on which site and etc.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Sorry if I wasn’t clear...Celebrity indicated that the seats were Premium Economy (new on Delta) but on those flights the only seats available between Economy and Business are Delta Comfort which are cheaper and less roomy than P.E. seats (I’m 6’6”). I’m guessing now that Celebrity is not yet aware of this new designation on some Delta flights and is listing Delta Comfort seats as P.E. It’s complicated. :)

Sorry if I wasn’t clear...Celebrity indicated that the seats were Premium Economy (new on Delta) but on those flights the only seats available between Economy and Business are Delta Comfort which are cheaper and less roomy than P.E. seats (I’m 6’6”). I’m guessing now that Celebrity is not yet aware of this new designation on some Delta flights and is listing Delta Comfort seats as P.E. It’s complicated. :)

Okay, much clearer...

Well, you do understand that equipment can change before your flight in 2019?

As such, the class of service and seats you select, possibly soon, my be a moot point by the time you fly.

You may want to post the question on the Air Board...

bon voyage

To the OP, certainly understand your concern however I doubt this is Choice Air's fault. I suspect if you got to any other flight booking site (other than the airline itself) you will probably see the same thing. Possibly something in the way that the Airline has the flight listed.

Following Bo1953's advice is the first step. I never book anything without researching my options before hand usually using Google Flights or ITA Matrix along with looking at the Airline's website directly. This helps clarify what you are actually booking and can be easier to identify code share flights.

I think this is a code share and equipment issue, Delta flights ATL to Paris are predominantly on AirFrance which has Premium Economy as a choice. Delta flights ATL to Heathrow are predominantly on Delta, so the actual airplane is different (Boeing vs Airbus) and Delta Comfort is the mid-range seat. We just did the ATL Paris flight last year and we are booked on the ATL Heathrow for October - you get all the soft perks on the Boeing plane, just the seats are a bit smaller, I think.

My son is very tall, I hear where you are coming from. Try searching on Orbitz, or other non-single airline site for Air France flights to Rome, and see what you get...The flight may get routed through Amsterdam or even Charles de Gaulle, but give you true Premium Econ. Of course you can also try different airlines, and other permutations, but with Delta, I think that is why you are seeing this result.

Choice Air doesn’t docseat assignments but you, the passenger, can do it on the the airline’s website or app. I just did mine today. Choice Air booked my flight, then I went to the Selta app and chose my seats.

While this is typically true, some airlines and/or some fare classes simply may not allow advance seat selection period.

I think this is a code share and equipment issue, Delta flights ATL to Paris are predominantly on AirFrance which has Premium Economy as a choice. Delta flights ATL to Heathrow are predominantly on Delta, so the actual airplane is different (Boeing vs Airbus) and Delta Comfort is the mid-range seat. We just did the ATL Paris flight last year and we are booked on the ATL Heathrow for October - you get all the soft perks on the Boeing plane, just the seats are a bit smaller, I think.

Not quite; Air France premium economy is much closer to Delta Premium Select (their "brand" of premium economy). Delta Comfort + is essentially just economy with some extra legroom. Delta is retrofitting aircraft and as they do so, will be expanding routes on which they offer Premium Select instead of Comfort +. For more on the differences between the two, read on:

Delta Comfort Plus: You get a few extra inches of legroom, and supposedly a tiny bit of extra recline, though the additional recline isn't really noticeable in my opinion. You get a minimal amenity kit and the same pillow/blanket, headset and meal as regular economy. You also get Sky Priority boarding.

Delta Premium Select (true premium economy): You get even more legroom, more recline and a footrest, and I believe the seat is wider as well though I don't recall how much. You get the same (nicer) amenity kit and Westin Heavenly Bedding as business class gets, as well as a larger media screen than economy, noise canceling headphones, and a nicer meal on real dishes. You also get Sky Priority check-in, boarding, and expedited baggage.

Here's a comparison chart:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/delta-comfort-plus.html

While this is typically true, some airlines and/or some fare classes simply may not allow advance seat selection period.

Not quite; Air France premium economy is much closer to Delta Premium Select (their "brand" of premium economy). Delta Comfort + is essentially just economy with some extra legroom. Delta is retrofitting aircraft and as they do so, will be expanding routes on which they offer Premium Select instead of Comfort +. For more on the differences between the two, read on:

Delta Comfort Plus: You get a few extra inches of legroom, and supposedly a tiny bit of extra recline, though the additional recline isn't really noticeable in my opinion. You get a minimal amenity kit and the same pillow/blanket, headset and meal as regular economy. You also get Sky Priority boarding.

Delta Premium Select (true premium economy): You get even more legroom, more recline and a footrest, and I believe the seat is wider as well though I don't recall how much. You get the same (nicer) amenity kit and Westin Heavenly Bedding as business class gets, as well as a larger media screen than economy, noise canceling headphones, and a nicer meal on real dishes. You also get Sky Priority check-in, boarding, and expedited baggage.

Here's a comparison chart:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/delta-comfort-plus.html

Glad to hear they are retrofitting the planes, but right now on those routes, what I said is true (and what you are saying is true also). The OP was talking about 2019 flights I think, so may be able to get a real Premium Economy, although there was no bedding in the AirFrance Premium Comfort, yes to real plates and noise canceling headphones?

On our upcoming flight to London on a Delta coded flight, I think we get expedited boarding, alcohol, headphones (maybe not noise cancelling) and slightly bigger seats.

I don't know if this is always true. Last time I booked through Choice Air from Europe the price was so cheap that I could not believe it was actually a first class fare. The man that I spoke to told me I could do the booking and then go online to reserve a seat. He said if the booking was not first class I could cancel it within 24 hours. Well, he was correct it was first class, and I was a happy camper.

Carolyn

Interesting

I didn't know to use Google Flights and I am not sure what ITA Matrix is.

I do look at Kayak, the Airlines own sites.

Can someone explain ITA matrix please.

ITA matrix (which is now owned by Google) is an "advanced user" version of Google flights.

You can search using multiple criteria, such as specific connection points, flight numbers, classes of service, etc.

ITA matrix (which is now owned by Google) is an "advanced user" version of Google flights.

You can search using multiple criteria, such as specific connection points, flight numbers, classes of service, etc.

Thanks

Googled and found a T & L article. Normally use kayak and an alert

Will look at this too.

Was just discussing with DH about flights... and whether to go refundable or non refundable

Glad to hear they are retrofitting the planes, but right now on those routes, what I said is true (and what you are saying is true also). The OP was talking about 2019 flights I think, so may be able to get a real Premium Economy, although there was no bedding in the AirFrance Premium Comfort, yes to real plates and noise canceling headphones?

On our upcoming flight to London on a Delta coded flight, I think we get expedited boarding, alcohol, headphones (maybe not noise cancelling) and slightly bigger seats.

I was referencing Delta premium economy when I listed specific details, not AF, although I have flown AF premium economy and yes they DO have bedding. I'm not aware of AF having a product called "premium comfort." ???

As for your DL flight to London, if you are talking about Comfort Plus then yes, you will have Sky Priority boarding, (although that still comes after those needing extra time, families with small children, business class, diamond medallions, and active duty military). You will also have complimentary alcohol but that is true even for regular economy on Delta transatlantic flights. I think you'll get somewhat enhanced earphones (not the super cheap earbuds) but most definitely not noise canceling ones like in Premium Select and business class. If you are expecting a bigger seat you will be disappointed. Comfort Plus seats are the exact same width seats as regular economy, you just have a few extra inches of legroom.