Question re: Surge protectors

Water709

Hubby and I returned from our 10 night cruise on Summit on 6/27. We have been on multiple cruises, and always bring a power strip or surge protector, and one extension cord, as I sleep on a heating pad for my bad back. This has never been a problem.

Well this time my husband's suitcase did not arrive at our suite with the others. Late in the afternoon our Butler checked on it, and it was being held "downstairs." We couldn't imagine what was in there that was causing the suitcase to be flagged. My husband was very upset not to get his bag and have to go retrieve it, not knowing what the problem was.

There was a short line of a few passengers whose bags were also not delivered to their cabins. As it turned out, the "contraband" that was in my husband's suitcase was a surge protector/power strip. It was not explained to us why this was not permitted in the cabin. The officer took the power strip, put duct tape around it, labeled it with our last name, and then let us take the suitcase up to our cabin.

We never did ask why the power strip was confiscated. We were told when it was taken from us that we could get it back at the end of the cruise. We actually forgot about it and didn't retrieve it, but I heard there was a table inside the building at Bayonne where one could retrieve whatever was taken on boarding day. Not a big expense, so not a big deal, but it was inconvenient to not have our power strip as there were only two outlets to use for charging our phones, using the heating pad, etc. We couldn't charge both phones and use the heating pad at night; it was a pain.

One other passenger who was in line behind us to have his bag searched was a man who told the officer that he needed his power strip for his CPAP machine, because otherwise the cord was so short it would not reach the only outlets which were several feet from the bed. We didn't stick around to find out how the cruise line solved that as it was none of our business, but that passenger was upset about having his power strip taken also.

When did Celebrity start banning power strips? If they are not going to allow them, then could they think about adding a couple more outlets to the cabins? I know that requires great expense but it was inconvenient dealing with the limited outlets for 10 nights.

Just curious if anyone else has had a power strip confiscated, and why. Thanks for your input if you have any info. PS we LOVED our cruise in spite of this inconvenience!

Celebrity has not allowed power strips for quite some time. As I understand it the surge protector is not compatible with their electrical system. A power strip without a surge protector is generally allowed. They will provide an extension cord for CAPA machines if requested.

You are allowed to take a power strip, just not one with a surge protector. I've read it can damage their electrical system on the ship. Check out the Belkin rotating wall outlet that gives you a few more plugs. It is harder to find the ones without the surge protector feature but they do make them. BTW ... this is not new; Celebrity has had this restriction for years.

I was also under the impression that extension cords were a no no ... that may have changed. As you can imagine, passengers may bring faulty wiring and start a fire onboard. I would think that once someone in engineering checked it out and cleared it, it would be ok....maybe, maybe not. If not, I think you can request one if needed for a good reason, such as a C-Pap machine.

Celebrity allows multi-plug adaptors WITHOUT surge protectors. I use a small Belkin multi-plug that includes standard plugs and USB ports. Never had a problem with this device on Celebrity.

Please notify the cruise line if you have a CPAP machine and they will accommodate you accordingly.

I also think you could contact Celebrity's special needs department and ask them to provide an extension cord because you need the heating pad for medical reasons. They do have these because they provide them for people who use CPAP. On my last cruise I contacted them for a sharps container, and it was in my cabin when I arrived.

Carolyn

See this: Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels. Essentially, power outlets are wired differently for ships than they are on land. A regular surge suppressor (or a UPS) is designed for land use, and can be a fire hazard on board ship, which is why they are confiscated. Extension cords can also be confiscated because they can be a trip hazard, however you can request one from the special needs department for medical reasons. (Hint: One less thing that you have to pack)

That's why I carry a 1-4 Power Splitter cord which screams "I'm not a surge protector" and a USB charger that charges six devices at once and also does 120/240 volts easily.

I also use a heat pad, I bought a 110v one from the USA on the internet. Before I did this I asked Celebrity if I was allowed to use a one and what the specification should be. They mentioned it had to have auto shut off, I also bought a simple extension lead to go with it.

Every cruise I go on I now take the heat pad in the original box showing it has auto shut off and have a copy of the letter from Celebrity attached to the box. Better safe than sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

See this: Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels. Essentially' date=' power outlets are wired differently for ships than they are on land. A regular surge suppressor (or a UPS) is designed for land use, and can be a fire hazard on board ship, which is why they are confiscated. Extension cords can also be confiscated because they can be a trip hazard, however you can request one from the special needs department for medical reasons. (Hint: One less thing that you have to pack)

That's why I carry a 1-4 Power Splitter cord which screams "I'm not a surge protector" and a USB charger that charges six devices at once and also does 120/240 volts easily.

Aren't those squids heavy?

when we were on Solstice in March / April, there were 2 guys at the bag drop off outside the passenger terminal and they were waving power strips saying "if you have one of these please remove it from your luggage as they are not permitted onboard"

We had got advice from fellow CC members on this forum not to take one, so it wasn't an issue for us

I love my little Belkin surge protector, but for cruises (and international travel, since mine isn't 240V approved) I travel with the cheap "dollar store" extension cords which are only about 6 feet but turn 1 outlet into 3.

I also bring my international plug adapter on board so I can use both the EU and North American outlets in the cabin.