Carnival Legend - Alaska review (6/14-6/21)

Jeffb201

First of all, Alaska is beautiful, so it doesn't matter how you get there, just do it.

We were fortunate to have great weather our entire trip with almost no rain and mostly sunny days. It was actually warm enough for the kids to use the waterslides and pool (only indoor was open) while at sea.

The Ports of Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan as well as Endicott Fjord (Tracy Arm was not accessible our day) offered amazing glimpses at Alaskan beauty. Was not a fan of the stop in Victoria, though we understand its a required stop apparently to have at leat one stop out of the country.

The Legend is a great ship, though can get a bit crowded at times. It seemed that we were operating at about 3/4 staff at peak times. Dinner and entertainment were very good. We saw all of the main production shows and most of the comedy headliners. Piano bar was also a hit. For those that haven't been, the Red Frog Pub is also a great hangout for music and entertainment.

All in all a great trip and continue to believe that Carnival does a good job overall at a very competitive price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jeffb201, did you go on any excursions and if what were they and what is your view about them. I'm doing this cruise in August and I really want to see Alaska because I will never have the chance to do it again.

Thanks

Naoma

Thanks! Would love to hear more about what the best and worst parts were. Any tips you could give, things we might not think about. We've cruised several times, but never Alaska, so it's certainly a different way to pack and plan. Glad you enjoyed it!

How was embarkation? We will be arriving by hotel shuttle. Will we be able to go directly to the terminal or will we have to be dropped off in a parking area and then board a Carnival shuttle to the terminal? The information I have so far is a little confusing.:confused:

First, thanks for the review! I agree, having taken this cruise five years ago (and going again in a couple of weeks) that the Victoria stop is a snoozer. We used it last time to get packed up for debarkation the next day, and then just relaxed on our balcony with our feet up, finishing off our in-room bottle of Jack Daniel's. Probably won't get off the ship in that port this time either.

Do you know if Endicott Fjord is equal to or at least close to the beauty of Tracy Arm Fjord? Tracy Arm was our favorite day last time we took this cruise. What did they do with the people who had the Tracy Arm excursion booked... were the same boats available to take them close to Endicott and along the shoreline there?

Do you know if Endicott Fjord is equal to or at least close to the beauty of Tracy Arm Fjord? Tracy Arm was our favorite day last time we took this cruise. What did they do with the people who had the Tracy Arm excursion booked... were the same boats available to take them close to Endicott and along the shoreline there?

Good question! I hope our excursions won't be cancelled. Any idea why they couldn't get to Tracy Arm?

I'll try and answer all of the above here:

1. Excursions we did:

-Skagway - Musher Camp and Dog Sledding - Kids all loved it. Ages 11-21. We had a great tour guide who talked throughout the trip.

-Juneau - Mendenall Glacier Tour and Whale Watching - both legs of this trip were fantastic. Make sure that you go down to water level at the glacier site because there is a huge waterfall, Nugget Falls, which is fed from the remnants of Nugget Glacier.

-Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour - This was an excellent excursion as well. Kids didn't like it as much, but they guides and ship's captain did a fantastic job and were excellent story tellers.

2. Packing - Certainly a tough one. We packed for everything (cold, warm and wet/dry) We traveled from Florida so it made choices tough. We were very fortunate that the weather was mild (neither warm nor cold) and dry. Obviously, around the glaciers it's a bit colder and on certain desks with the wind as well.

3. Embarkation - Very easy. We stayed in Seattle for 2 days prior and took a shuttle form the hotel to the terminal (Pier 91). They pull up in a covered loaded/unloading area) and you walk to the terminal, but it's pretty easy.

4. Not too sure about the differences between the Fjords, but I would assume that Tracy Arm is slightly better is only because that's where they "normally" all go. We were not disappointing and yes the folks that booked trips for Tracy Arm did the same in Endicott.

5. Best / Worst - Not sure I have a worst. Best for me was just the natural beauty of the area. It's so amazing that you really just need to let it soak in and enjoy as much of it as you can. We literally did not move during the Fjord day as we just watch the nature unfold around us.

I hope this helps!!

I'll try and answer all of the above here:

1. Excursions we did:

-Skagway - Musher Camp and Dog Sledding - Kids all loved it. Ages 11-21. We had a great tour guide who talked throughout the trip.

-Juneau - Mendenall Glacier Tour and Whale Watching - both legs of this trip were fantastic. Make sure that you go down to water level at the glacier site because there is a huge waterfall, Nugget Falls, which is fed from the remnants of Nugget Glacier.

-Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour - This was an excellent excursion as well. Kids didn't like it as much, but they guides and ship's captain did a fantastic job and were excellent story tellers.

2. Packing - Certainly a tough one. We packed for everything (cold, warm and wet/dry) We traveled from Florida so it made choices tough. We were very fortunate that the weather was mild (neither warm nor cold) and dry. Obviously, around the glaciers it's a bit colder and on certain desks with the wind as well.

3. Embarkation - Very easy. We stayed in Seattle for 2 days prior and took a shuttle form the hotel to the terminal (Pier 91). They pull up in a covered loaded/unloading area) and you walk to the terminal, but it's pretty easy.

4. Not too sure about the differences between the Fjords, but I would assume that Tracy Arm is slightly better is only because that's where they "normally" all go. We were not disappointing and yes the folks that booked trips for Tracy Arm did the same in Endicott.

5. Best / Worst - Not sure I have a worst. Best for me was just the natural beauty of the area. It's so amazing that you really just need to let it soak in and enjoy as much of it as you can. We literally did not move during the Fjord day as we just watch the nature unfold around us.

I hope this helps!!

Thanks for the info. Honestly, I don't always have the time to read through lengthy reviews, although I appreciate the people who take the time to write them. I may do that for ours! LOL! But sometimes, short and sweet gives me all the info I need too. I don't want to start obsessing over every little thing we may need to do.

I love how you explain the beauty of it, just letting it soak in! I'm sure we'll feel the same way, just enjoying it.

We were also on same cruise. I agree with most and regarding Victoria I almost did the same thing. But, my granddaughter really wanted to go ashore. We met a man at the pier with a luxury car and he took us and another woman on a private tour for two hours. We saw so much and the beauty of Victoria. The British queen's residence, the endless rose gardens, a national park with peacocks, a Scottish Castle, the tallest point for sundown and a drive through the waterfront back to the ship. Wonderful tour.

Endicott Arm- is NOT as scenic as Tracy Arm and is shorter, wider. Basically sail in/out of a bay, with open expansive viewing of the Dawes Glacier.

Yes- the add on ship tour still runs, but, it really is not needed since the cruise ship also get about as close. You are on the water closer, about it. You will NOT know the diversion ahead of time, and won't have any recourse with the booked add on tour. There won't be any refunds or the ability to cancel.

We took this cruise last year and I wish they would stay longer in Victoria B.C. We had not planned anything but ended up taking a bus downtown to shop and wander around.

Mendenhall Glacier is gorgeous! We were on the first tour of the morning and it was cool but beautiful there. We also went on the Roberts Tram and the views from above Juneau are beautiful.