Cruising After Gallbladder Removal

Luvtoeat

I may be having my gallbladder removed in the next week or so and was hoping for advice from anyone that had a similar situation how they handled eating all the food that is available. Wondering if their were certain foods you had to avoid and how you made out. We are not cruising for 2 months and I am hoping that my digestive tract will return somewhat to normal.

I had my gallbladder out and cruised six weeks later two years ago on the Summit. I didn't have too much of an issue because you will figure out pretty quickly what you can and cannot eat. I had to stay away from anything greasy. For some reason, sausages and hashbrowns were the worst offenders for me so after having that on Day 2 for breakfast, I steered clear!

I had my gallbladder removed July 3, 2007 and on July 4th I was eating hot dogs with chili and cheeseburgers.

Bring an OTC acid reflux medicine with you just in case but usually I don't have any problems with eating anything on the ship.

Which is why you had to have your gallbladder out in the first place! :p

I was not having acid reflux or gallbladder attacks when they took my gallbladder out. They were looking for something else and said oh that part is fine but you have gallstones so it should come out. They should have kept their ultrasound on my bladder and kidneys and left my gallbladder alone.

I had my gall bladder removed last year and found initially that I could not eat anything spicy other than that I was fine. Just make sure your insurance covers you my travel insurance would not cover me for any post surgery until twelve weeks after surgery, I did manage to change my provider so that I was covered though.

I had my gallbladder removed July 3, 2007 and on July 4th I was eating hot dogs with chili and cheeseburgers.

Bring an OTC acid reflux medicine with you just in case but usually I don't have any problems with eating anything on the ship.

How do you know that an OTC acid reflux medication won't have an adverse reaction with other medications he or she may be taking?

Had my gallbladder out in late November. By Christmas I was back to eating normally and did a 10 day cruise in early February with no issues. I have less issues eating after my surgery than before, wish I had it taken out long ago!

Of course your Dr is probably the best to ask as it is different with every person.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Oh this brings back memories of last year - had my laparoscopic gallbladder removal in November, then cruised on Oasis of the Seas six weeks later.

I wasn't as worried about food as I was about maneuvering the stairs in our stateroom (Loft Suite with bedroom upstairs), hoping they wouldn't cause any discomfort at the surgery site.

But no problems with either - I was able to eat everything I wanted (plus some!), and the stairs were no hassle at all. :D (Well, actually the stairs did have one bad design - for some reason, they only lit every other step, and coming down those at night - with cataracts - was a little dicey LOL. Had those cataracts fixed too, one eye in February, one in March ;p)

Good luck with your surgery - hopefully it will be as easy as mine was. Have a wonderful cruise!

Said no one with any medical training ever. What a ridiculous blanket statement that disregards all of the other causes and predispositions.

Some post op chole patients sail thhru with no digestive problems at all. Others, on the other end of the spectrum, may take months before they can tolerate a high fat meal. It's impossible to predict where the OP will fall.

I was one of the lucky ones who had a wonderful breakfast of bacon, fried eggs and buttered toast the morning after my surgery.

Fortunately it isn't all that difficult to maintain a restricted diet on the ship.

Medical advice re how sensible it is to fly, cruise etc is so important. Even if your medical advice is ‘fine’ then check your insurance too...I was not allowed to fly for six months after recent surgery but was allowed to cruise after 12 weeks. Totally different surgery but you cannot accept advice on CC on this. Worse case scenario your health could be at risk, also not good you could need some medical intervention and find it will be at your own cost.

On discharge from hospital I assume you were given guidance re diet, alcohol etc both short term and long term. If you weren’t you need an appointment to discuss.

Hopefully all will be OK but speak with your consultant and insurance providers before considering the advice of fellow cruisers.

Said no one with any medical training ever. What a ridiculous blanket statement that disregards all of the other causes and predispositions.

Some post op chole patients sail thhru with no digestive problems at all. Others, on the other end of the spectrum, may take months before they can tolerate a high fat meal. It's impossible to predict where the OP will fall.

I was one of the lucky ones who had a wonderful breakfast of bacon, fried eggs and buttered toast the morning after my surgery.

Fortunately it isn't all that difficult to maintain a restricted diet on the ship.

My comment? Inappropriately joking. Your comment about no medical training? Would you like to pay my student loans?

My point was that people who eat high fat, high cholesterol, low fibre diets put themselves at risk for gallbladder disease.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

I had mine taken out in 88 or 89, can't remember for sure. I was one of the first patients in our area to have the laparoscopic surgery. After about thirty years I've learned what steps and precautions I need to take with it.

Oddly enough prior to having it out I never ate spicy food. After having it out I learned I loved spicy food and I eat it on a regular basis now.

I cruised one month before gallbladder surgery. I didn't know I needed to have it removed. I got sick after every meal and was miserable. I cruised 6 months after the surgery and did great. I will say I am one of the people that has to watch higher fat meals. It has been five years and things have improved, but high fat meals still will cause problems.

My comment? Inappropriately joking. Your comment about no medical training? Would you like to pay my student loans?

My point was that people who eat high fat, high cholesterol, low fibre diets put themselves at risk for gallbladder disease.

The cause for my surgery was rapid weight loss after I switched to a low fat, high fiber diet (I took off over 100lbs in a year). Never heard of that until it happened to me- and then I learned gall stones were common in people who lose a lot of weight. I had one huge stone- the doctor handed it to my husband in wonder. Never had any hint of any problems during all the previous years of eating a high fat, high cholesterol, low fiber diet.

Recovery after gallbladder removal can vary greatly from person to person. As regards safety, your doctor is the only one who can advise you. As to food, there are plenty of low fat options available onboard for anyone who wants them. I currently have a gallbladder condition where the functionality is lower than normal (but not so low I need surgery at this time). I need to avoid alot of fat or pay the price with conditions I would not care to describe here (nor would anyone want me to:).) I cruise regularly and have no problem finding food that suits me.

Re diet: everybody will react differently to different foods. Some people can't digest meat and dairy. Some can. Ask you doctor about alcohol. Will you have someone to help you with your luggage? IIRC! I was told no lifting for at least 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cause for my surgery was rapid weight loss after I switched to a low fat, high fiber diet (I took off over 100lbs in a year). Never heard of that until it happened to me- and then I learned gall stones were common in people who lose a lot of weight. I had one huge stone- the doctor handed it to my husband in wonder. Never had any hint of any problems during all the previous years of eating a high fat, high cholesterol, low fiber diet.
+1 I was about 6 months into a similar diet where I had lost over 30 pounds when my gallbladder called it quits. Neither my doctor or the leader of the healthy eating program I was on had heard of it happening like that before.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I may be having my gallbladder removed in the next week or so and was hoping for advice from anyone that had a similar situation how they handled eating all the food that is available. Wondering if their were certain foods you had to avoid and how you made out. We are not cruising for 2 months and I am hoping that my digestive tract will return somewhat to normal.

Just follow doctors orders.

I went in for the lap surgery and they had to switch to the full cut. That was not a fun recovery.

Also I had digestive issues after the surgery and it was because I was not eating enough fat to absorb for bile I was producing. Now I eat everything. More than I did before surgery. I only get into trouble with a low fat lifestyle

My suggestion is to be careful around fried foods and leafy greens. French fries were always an issue for me (both pre and post gallbladder removal); Having issues with Salad was new after having my gallbladder removed. As the years have progressed, my body can tolerate various lettuces more easily; though I try not to have a large amount of lettuce 2 days in a row and I can't eat kale at all.