18 year old - drinking waiver

Marleycruiser

we are sailing the celebrity summit and we’re just told there isn’t a waiver parents can fill out for a 18 year old to drink a beer or glass of wine.... is this true?

We are on celebrity summit out of Bayonne to Bermuda.

Thank you

It is only in Europe where the legal drinking age is 18 and they don't need a waiver.

In the US it is 21.

21 is the drinking age in the US, irrespective of where you live ;). We have an 18yr old that is able to drink legally on European cruises but cannot consume alcohol on our US sailings.
While it may be the legal purchase age it isn't necessarily the consumption age as it differs from state to state.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

21 is the drinking age in the US, irrespective of where you live ;). We have an 18yr old that is able to drink legally on European cruises but cannot consume alcohol on our US sailings.

Our son also had this bizarre experience. Just 18 able to drink on a cruise from Hong Kong, one from Barcelona and one from Rome only to return to the Caribbean a few months before his 21st to be back on a soda package!

While an 18-year-old cannot legally drink in Bayonne, or on the ship (Summit) to/from Bermuda -- I think that 18 is the legal drinking age IN Bermuda (you can look it up). Once you dock there, the ship is just your floating hotel, for the next 3 days. You can come and go as you wish -- and eat and drink what you like, wherever you like. Except for the fact that the 21 & up limitation on alcohol will still remain in place, onboard the ship.

You can thank Ronald Reagan administration for the 21 and over law.

The public campaign against drunk driving took off like wildfire. One result of this is that Ronald Reagan’s administration tied funding for maintenance of the Interstate Highway system to a state’s changing their drinking age to 21. States were free (and still are) to make their drinking age anything they like, but if it wasn’t at least 21, they’d receive no federal funds for maintaining their portion of the Interstates that ran through them. That worked out to many millions of dollars states couldn’t afford to do without, so they all changed their drinking age to 21.

Edited by bigbenboys
added a word

Valletta Malta?

The Alcohol Drinking age in Malta has been raised from 16 to 17.Identity cards/passport to be carried as proof :-) Most Bars do not sell alcohol to teenagers below this age as they may be fined heavily if below-age drinkers are found on the premises.

The public campaign against drunk driving took off like wildfire. One result of this is that Ronald Reagan’s administration tied funding for maintenance of the Interstate Highway system to a state’s changing their drinking age to 21. States were free (and still are) to make their drinking age anything they like, but if it wasn’t at least 21, they’d receive no federal funds for maintaining their portion of the Interstates that ran through them. That worked out to many millions of dollars states couldn’t afford to do without, so they all changed their drinking age to 21.

Wrong, you can thank a sue happy culture. What cruise line full of American passengers are willing to face liability laws if something happens to a 18-20 year old after drinking on their ships? Maritime law has no drinking age and 25+ years ago neither did cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wrong, you can thank a sue happy culture. What cruise line full of American passengers are willing to face liability laws if something happens to a 18-20 year old after drinking on their ships? Maritime law has no drinking age and 25+ years ago neither did cruise ships.

What does that have to do with the drinking age in the U.S. being 21? That is what the post you're responding to was about, and the law was indeed signed during the Reagan administration.

I'm sure the OP is aware of the drinking age in the US. The question stems from the fact that some cruise lines, ie. Norwegian, offer parents a waiver they can sign permitting their adult child to consume either beer or wine while on a Caribbean cruise. To answer the question, NO Celebrity does not do this. It was for this reason that when we sailed with our adult children who were not of age to drink, we took them on Norwegian.

CM

Yes, I remember this. Living in GA back in the 80's the legal drinking age was 19. Then they phased in an increase over a few years raising the age bit by bit. My birthday always managed to put me "of age" just after the new age took affect. I was legal for a few days and then I wasn't...those were the days. Now I'm happy if I get carded :)

CM

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although the cruise lines may be worried about suits for underage drinking the previous poster is not wrong about the drinking age being changed during the Reagan administration. It was done how and why exactly as BigBEn boys said it was. I was a Police Officer at the time and remember the change very well and exactly why it was done. Basically the Transportation Dept told the states you want your highway funds you change your state laws. Every state complied, some quicker than others. This is not an uncommon practice, they did the same thing to have the states comply with minimum Blood Alcohol Levels for drunk driving. It's a very powerful weapon controlling the purse strings.

Don't know if anyone on the board remembers this but going back about 10 years ago Celebrity's drinking age was 18 and then changed to 21. It was ironic because at the time Celebrity's was considered the more sophisticated line over Royal but Royals drinking age had been 21 long before Celebrity's.

Yes, I remember this. Living in GA back in the 80's the legal drinking age was 19. Then they phased in an increase over a few years raising the age bit by bit. My birthday always managed to put me "of age" just after the new age took affect. I was legal for a few days and then I wasn't...those were the days. Now I'm happy if I get carded :)

CM

A little off topic but I missed voting in the 1968 Presidential election by a month when they changed to age from 21 to 18 for voting.

Speaking of carding, there are more and more companies now that are carding everyone no matter what age. A coup[le of years ago son and I took his grandmother and my wife to the AMC movie Theater in Disney Springs at DisneyWorld for dinner and a movie on Mother's day. They have a policy of carding everyone, I was carded, my wife was and my then 89 year old MIL was carded. Also, my son is working in a supermarket and every once in awhile he has to work in their Beer Garden. Policy of the Supermarket chain is to card everyone no matter the age. You don't card someone you get fired.

When you read Celebrity's policy it does mention having a waiver. However the 2 times I've sailed w/ my niece who is under 21 they have denied it. The first time I asked about it and was told no. The second time (this March) I didn't ask but upon check-in once they verified her age they agent asked if I wanted to allow it and I said yes. But then just to be sure she went and check and was told no. So not sure why they even have it in the written policy if they deny it every time.

However (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this) if the parent/guardian chooses to get them a drink it can happen. As long as they aren't out of control a lot of bar servers/sommeliers turn a blind eye. My niece was drinking some of my wine at dinner and the last night as we were leaving the MDR he filled up both my glass and the empty one for her. I've seen other parents just give their kids their card to get drinks at night. Some bartenders will allow it and others will deny them.

Seems they can cruise on Norwegian if Celebrity rules do not fit their family plans...it's not a political problem!

We cruised out New Orleans with our 19 year old son about 7 years ago on NCL for Western Caribbean cruise, I recall signing a waiver which allowed him to purchase alcohol. His birthday was yesterday and he just turned 27.

BTW, when I was growing up in New York it was 18 but that was awhile ago :cool:

That was a brilliant stroke of the pen.

Were you sailing from a North American port? There are no waivers available for these sailings AFAIK.

You’re right, there aren’t. If one sails from a US port, including San Juan, one HAS to be 21.....only cruises departing from countries where the legal drinking age is 18 (pretty much all other ports) can one be 18 to legally drink on board......although the gambling age is 18, except for Alaska sailings, which is 21.