The Celebrity Revolution

upwarduk

On our recent Silhouette Cruise, my husband and I attended a video promoting ‘Edge.’

The presenter mentioned that every ship in the fleet would have Le Petit Chef on board and also that the ships would have features added that will be found on the Edge.

What he didn’t say was that every ship would be Revolutionised.

This from an email sent this afternoon:

Timeline of The Celebrity Revolution

Ship Completion Date

Celebrity Millennium® - 09/02/2019

Celebrity Summit® - 23/03/2019

Celebrity Equinox℠ - 25/05/2019

Celebrity Silhouette® - 24/01/2020

Celebrity Eclipse® - 01/04/2020

Celebrity Constellation® - 01/05/2020

Celebrity Infinity® - 14/11/2020

Celebrity Solstice® - 01/10/2021

Celebrity Reflection® - 02/02/2023

Prices will likely go up with more price bundling of promos that punish Elites.

Not sure how this will punish Elite’s.

My reading of the promotion left me thinking most of the changes will be concentrated on Suite Class, but I also thought that prices will increase.

Prices will likely go up with more price bundling of promos that punish Elites.

Maybe they don't really care about Elites? Perhaps the target passengers are the younger ones wanting an immersive cruise experience who are prepared to pay for the innovative on board experiences?

My reading of the promotion left me thinking most of the changes will be concentrated on Suite Class, but I also thought that prices will increase.

If the current Edge pricing is any to go by that will certainly be true

Celebrity is removing itself from being a line I was striving to sail on again. I preferred their older Millennium-class ships for more exotic cruises because they had the elegance of yesteryear. All this rush for modern looking garbage is non-sense. If you look at it, the rooms functioned just as they should. What does sprucing them up going to do besides the paneling on the walls needing some replacing from years of dings and dents by passenger usage. The dining room renderings for the Millennium class ships look dreadfully bright and awful. The nostalgia of cruising is turning into a fashion walk versus what it used to be.

I also don't get where Elites are getting messed out of anything but I'm not one so can't comment on that. If they want to modernize the suite life, that's fine but eliminating the old steamer dining venues was a big mistake IMHO. Cruisers should value and cherish where the roots of today's modern day gigantic ships came from. With this modernization, Celebrity should modernize their dress codes because formal nights go with elegant decor, not contemporary garbage. Just my two cents...

Main issue is that they will limit access to the outside decks in the front of the ships to Suite guests. Good for them, bad for all others. This indeed makes the ships less attractive for loyal guests who just travel in balcony cabins like us.

I also do not understand if standard cabins will be modernized or just suites and if they add cabins again to squeeze in more people. This is obviously not an upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

High risk for Celebrity. Less enjoyable cruise experience for non Suite passengers with less public space, more passengers and higher fares to pay for it.

As one of those non suite passengers (read: inside of OV GTY - whatever the lowest level to get the perks), I'm thinking you're correct.

Maybe they don't really care about Elites? Perhaps the target passengers are the younger ones wanting an immersive cruise experience who are prepared to pay for the innovative on board experiences?

Bingo. They MUST attract younger people if they want to be a successful business in the future. Older, long time customers will die off, get too old to cruise, or move up to a more luxurious line (some of whom are throwing in promos to attract those customers.)

Edited by jkgourmet

Celebrity is removing itself from being a line I was striving to sail on again. I preferred their older Millennium-class ships for more exotic cruises because they had the elegance of yesteryear. All this rush for modern looking garbage is non-sense. If you look at it, the rooms functioned just as they should. What does sprucing them up going to do besides the paneling on the walls needing some replacing from years of dings and dents by passenger usage. The dining room renderings for the Millennium class ships look dreadfully bright and awful. The nostalgia of cruising is turning into a fashion walk versus what it used to be.

I also don't get where Elites are getting messed out of anything but I'm not one so can't comment on that. If they want to modernize the suite life, that's fine but eliminating the old steamer dining venues was a big mistake IMHO. Cruisers should value and cherish where the roots of today's modern day gigantic ships came from. With this modernization, Celebrity should modernize their dress codes because formal nights go with elegant decor, not contemporary garbage. Just my two cents...

Never gonna happen. X has to attract younger people to stay in business, and the only thing they know about "old steamer dining venues" is what they saw in the movie "Titanic."

they don't want to dress up, and the fact that maybe 15% of current passengers chose formal wear prices that the majority do not want it to return.

we live in a world of business casual. Some of the highest paid employees, executives and business owners wear jeans and sneakers to work every day. We live in a world of smart phones, Alexa and soon, we'll have self driving cars. Luxury isn't so attractive anymore. It's all about fun and automation.

I hear that you're unhappy about that, and I'm sorry.

Celebrity bundles the drink packages with the price, significantly raising the overall price. We are elite and enjoy the happy hour and spend a modest amount outside of that, say $300 for both of us for a 14 day cruise.

Sometimes the bundled price include onboard credit or paying gratuities, but it never makes up for the higher price.

SOrry to be dense, but how are Elites punished by promotions?

Comparing a two-hour event to a 24 -hour drinks promotions doesn’t compute, and I don’t see how that can be seen as a punishment in any case

We don't normally drink alcohol until happy hour and continue with wine a dinner.

Could someone go over which areas will be lost to non suite guests on M and S class, as shown in the Forbes article..see attachment and attachment to next post

M class did not have much public space to begin with, esp when they took Michaels Club away for suite guests only..

We are.mostly intetested in S class because the AC and sewage systems on M class are getting old...not sure if they will be replaced in the upgrade.

The designer has sleek spaces but works in a very gray palette...nothing bright or uplifting,

301230140_https-2F2Fblogs-images.forbes.com2Fericrosen2Ffiles2F20182F072FSuite-Deck-small.jpg.72dc0465cdcf2a1facd537e97f772d05.jpg

Could someone go over which areas will be lost to non suite guests on M and S class, as shown in the Forbes article..see attachment and attachment to next post

M class did not have much public space to begin with, esp when they took Michaels Club away for suite guests only..

We are.mostly intetested in S class because the AC and sewage systems on M class are getting old...not sure if they will be replaced in the upgrade.

The designer has sleek spaces but works in a very gray palette...nothing bright or uplifting,

The article says that they will add Signature Suites and a Reflection Suite on all the S Class ships as they have on Reflection. To do this on Reflection they reduced the Sky Lounge by half and added the new Suites in the area that was formally part of the Sky Lounge. The article also indicated an exclusive deck for Suites. That means that Celebrity will either add a deck, as they did on Reflection, or remove public space on the upper deck.

I fully understand what Celebrity is doing as they try to gain more traction in the "luxury cruiser" market. One danger to me is that their price narrows the gap between Celebrity and the truly Premium lines like Seabourn and Crystal and that given the choice of Seabourn or Crystal or Celebrity most will not choose Celebrity. I believe that Celebrity feels that there is a significant niche in the market for those who want a large ship luxury line and they can fill that market. As a stockholder I hope they are right.

Edited by Orator

The outside render seems to be the open fwd deck on M Class, going by the angles of the glass railings and the fact that a small mast/funnel is visible, which also seems to be angled.

Opinions?

Celebrity bundles the drink packages with the price, significantly raising the overall price. We are elite and enjoy the happy hour and spend a modest amount outside of that, say $300 for both of us for a 14 day cruise.

Sometimes the bundled price include onboard credit or paying gratuities, but it never makes up for the higher price.

It does IF you're in the cheap seats, like and OV or sometimes a balcony.

The article says that they will add Signature Suites and a Reflection Suite on all the S Class ships as they have on Reflection. To do this on Reflection they reduced the Sky Lounge by half and added the new Suites in the area that was formally part of the Sky Lounge. The article also indicated an exclusive deck for Suites. That means that Celebrity will either add a deck, as they did on Reflection, or remove public space on the upper deck.

I fully understand what Celebrity is doing as they try to gain more traction in the "luxury cruiser" market. One danger to me is that their price narrows the gap between Celebrity and the truly Premium lines like Seabourn and Crystal and that given the choice of Seabourn or Crystal or Celebrity most will not choose Celebrity. I believe that Celebrity feels that there is a significant niche in the market for those who want a large ship luxury line and they can fill that market. As a stockholder I hope they are right.

They will make the forward upper outside deck exclusive for Suites (including the space where currently the basketball court is). This means no view to the front for normal passengers anymore.

They will make the forward upper outside deck exclusive for Suites (including the space where currently the basketball court is). This means no view to the front for normal passengers anymore.

Which puts it in line with Edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums