LIM in the middle of the night

TiogaCruiser

I am considering taking Latam from LAX to EZE. There is a long 6-8 hour) layover in LIM from midnight/1:00a until 8-9 AM.

Maybe a dumb question, but does the airport remain open all night? If so, any suggestions on what to do?

Open all night? Yes. Shops? No

Suggestion...take a pillow and a book. Or reroute on a non-stop to EZE (if available)

Check the airline's website to see if they have a lounge open during that time and if you can buy a one time entrance (assuming you don't meet the regular qualifications of flying business or first class or having status with an alliance partner airline). Any airline lounge worth its salt should have much more comfortable seating and offer snacks and drinks.

Check the airline's website to see if they have a lounge open during that time and if you can buy a one time entrance (assuming you don't meet the regular qualifications of flying business or first class or having status with an alliance partner airline). Any airline lounge worth its salt should have much more comfortable seating and offer snacks and drinks.

Thanks. I had not thought of that. I rarely fly. I'm leaning towards LATAM with the long layover instead of American or Delta with their 1 personal item only policies for those who are not FF or in the high priced seats.

Thanks. I had not thought of that. I rarely fly. I'm leaning towards LATAM with the long layover instead of American or Delta with their 1 personal item only policies for those who are not FF or in the high priced seats.

Not sure where you are getting the personal item information.

AA allows 1 carryon and 1 personal item on Economy flights to South America. In addition, there is no charge for a first checked bag.

Delta has similar provisions. Delta has a 2 hr layover in ATL, which is far superior to staying all night in LIM.

I meant AA and United. My reservation is currently on United. Their website says all over only a personal item as carry on for economy as of Spring 2017 and checked bags are extra.

I don't mind paying for a check on but I want to be able to bring a carry on and a small personal item ( my notebook computer). Inside my reservation it says 2 checked bags are free, but nothing about a carry on. I sent a question to customer service with my reservation info to clarify the rule for carry on for international flights. My LAX to Houston to EXE is all 1 booking.

I'll take a look at Delta. Thanks for the suggestion.

From United's website:

"Most travelers can bring on board one full-sized carry-on bag plus one personal item free of charge. If you have purchased Basic Economy, you will only be allowed one personal item, unless you are a Premier® member or a primary card member using a qualifying MileagePlus credit card.

Footnote 1 Everyone else who is traveling on a Basic Economy ticket and brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge. Payment is by credit card only."

From United's website:

"Most travelers can bring on board one full-sized carry-on bag plus one personal item free of charge. If you have purchased Basic Economy, you will only be allowed one personal item, unless you are a Premier® member or a primary card member using a qualifying MileagePlus credit card.

Footnote 1 Everyone else who is traveling on a Basic Economy ticket and brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge. Payment is by credit card only."

My research tells me that "Basic Economy" is not available for a flight to South America. Only "Economy", "Economy (flexible)" and "Business" on United. This is also true for AA and Delta.

Baggage rules for International flights are quite different than domestic rules.

Thanks.

I couldn't find their international page(s). I'm very hampered by only having my phone available as my computer is in the shop. Maybe that's why it's not clear to me. And I do only see Economy, Plus, Business and First (no Basic Economy) ( and did note that it is written "Basic" and not "basic").

I'll try to confirm with them in writing via email or chat. I currently have a reservation on United.

We just went thru LIM last week. Our layover was from 7:30 PM to 3:40 AM. There is a hotel right next to the airport (Wyndam Costa Del Sol). It's connected to the airport by a covered walkway on the upper lever.

You can book a room at the hotel and sleep there, if you want. They also have a 24 hour spa that you can buy a pass to - I think it's about $60 (check their website). People were sleeping in the spa on the loungers when we went to the spa - obviously using it to crash for a few hours.

Then when we went back to the airport on the covered walkway to catch our flight, the walkway was full of people sleeping on the floor (with blankets and eye masks, that sort of thing). This was obviously a popular place to sleep for free at LIM.

Those are all the options we saw when we were there. We also flew United for one international leg, if you're carry on is smallish I don't think you'll have a problem, but if it's a suitcase sized roller it might be an issue to have a laptop case too.

Thank you all, for your help.

United got back to me today with a clarification of their policy. I want to come back and update this thread and NOT start any rumors. I misunderstood. This is the pertinent part:

When traveling from LAX to EZE United allows passengers two free checked bags. To avoid excess changes no bag should exceed 50 lbs nor measure more than 62 inches when adding together the length + width + height.

You are permitted to carry-on one carry-on bag plus one personal item. The restrictions for carry-on bags are available in the following link...”