Low Carb Dieting

jesskuhmarie

I think it is really easy (option-wise) to stay LCHF on a cruise. The breads and breakfast pastries are all pretty generic, IMO, so they are easier for me to avoid, despite the fact that I used to love a danish or donut in the morning with coffee. On our last cruise I did have dessert almost every night (sweets are my weakness,) pizza once or twice when we were too tired to even make it to the buffet for dinner, and maybe two fruity-type alcoholic drinks our entire ten days. We are incredibly active on our trips and generally gone the entire day in port so I'm not around food all day and also burning A LOT of calories. I think it is really important to go into the trip with a strong diet and no "cheats" or bad days for a while before. If I go into it with a fat burning body it is so much easier to avoid the sugar. If I go into it wavering, or with recent cheats, I'm going to have a much more difficult time saying no to the little things.

My advice is the same I dish out for everyday life:

1. Ask them to not bring bread to the table at the start of dinner. This can be a huge trap for me, so just not having in front of me is the best option.

2. If you want [carb] that's fine. Fill your plate with your protein/fat, eat all of that, and if you STILL want your carb item, eat it. I find that most of the time I am too full for it, or I will have one bite and realize, ugh, this wasn't as good as I had imagined.

3. If you are a drink lover have 2 waters for every alcoholic drink.

4. If you really want a dessert and don't care for the sugar free option, have it, enjoy it, move on.

I don't know about you but eating LCHF/keto has made a world of difference in my general health as far as digestion, migraines, energy. Now that I have been keto for 2 years, LCHF 3 years prior to that, I can REALLY feel the negative effects of carbs pretty quickly and severely. I still have to remind myself of that when tempted.

Good luck! Enjoy yourself!

I AGREE - I feel so much better eating LCHF and Keto - just keep saying, 'this is not a diet - it is MY WOE (way of eating) for life - therefore - I will stay with it"!

• 2 weeks later...

First breakfast in over two weeks - breaking 20 hours fast with all LCHF and Keto foods - only had one piece of salami! Got in my fat for the day! Not eating lunch will do IF until later tonight at the WJ Buffet where I will have all Keto! 1f642.png:) You can adapt your WOE to any vacation - celebration - no matter what the 'temptation' you GOT THIS!~

Eating LCHF or Keto on a cruise ship or anywhere is most easy to do - just make up your mind to do it! 2764.png<3

I find a low carb diet works very well for me, but is very hard to stick to and as soon as you start carbs again the weight comes flooding back.

This is why I don't call it a diet or just to lose weight - it is my Way Of Eating (WOF) - I have done this WOE for 21 months now and I do NOT "cheat" - most days I stay under 10 carbs but when traveling I might indulge in a few higher carb wines or a beer but my carbs still are below 30 so that is not high - I also juggle Intermittent Fasting (IF) every day - even while cruising so I don't cruise to Eat - I cruise to travel - see the world - meet people and make new memories with my dear husband and best friend Sam - 48 years!

• 2 weeks later...

Today marks 1/2 point of our B3B 34 day cruise - still maintaining LCHF and Keto - drinking vodka on ice with sprite zero and a little wine! Also doing IF - intermittent fasting from last meal of the day until at least noon the next day - :cool:

Yesterday marked the start of our final segment of our B3B on Jewel - love the new 'refurbishments' since she came out of dry-dock! Beautiful new carpets - drapes - pillows! It was definitely time for new pillows!

29 P

175 D+

400 D

Enjoyed double expresso along with cappuccino and full-fat butter this morning in the DL - DL in the evening is in the Vortex - new chef and awesome spread - More a Mediterranean Style and works better with my WOE! Chops tonight for BOGO and love the Pork Belly and I order the Ribeye but it is too much to eat so I bring it back to the cabin for lunch the next day! clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Last port today - B3B on RCL Jewel - Azores - then 6 AWESOME sea days back to San Juan -

Eating LCHF and Keto has been relatively easy as it fits my lifestyle - also do quite a bit of IF - intermittent fasting - have only eaten breakfast 3 times in 34 days :)

Getting us back to top of the page clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
No matter what nutritional plan you are on, I have found that intermittent fasting is great. On the program I am on I do it up to 6 times a month. Cheers ... Bob

I like to start off my week with IF - usually 24-36 hours! My dad fasted once a month from Sunday night until Friday night until he was age 84 - it was how he controlled his weight - it works!

These are all great recommendations! It's all about trying and seeing what works best with your body.

I've found a low carb - high protein diet works well for me and I've been doing that for the last few months in preparation for my June cruise.

I love to treat myself on a cruise so I definitely indulge, within reason.

Here are a few things I try to do:

Every time I'm at the buffet, start with a big salad and then go for carb laden items.

Avoid the dinner rolls/bread at dinner.

Try to start out the day with a protein filled breakfast to keep me fuller through the day.

I will be packing my go to snack, raw almonds and cherry tomatoes, in small ziplock bags for my purse so I'll never get too hangry :)

Hope it goes great on your cruise! and Eat Well!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Booked Celebrity Constellation from 01 Feb 2020 - 15 Feb 2020 - Dubai to Singapore! Reallly excited to visit Dubai and India ports!

Been experimenting with a few LCHF - Keto recipes of 'spicy pecans' - Pecan Chipotle 'Brittle" - all are low carbs and made with lots of butter and substitute sugar pretty good and a treat for the Holidays! :D

WOW!!! I didn't know this group was here until just now...my kind of group! I've been low carb for probably 15 years or more. I've kept off about 40 pounds keeping my carbs down, and have also managed to control my adult-onset diabetes (from years of not being low carb) without medication. We just booked our next cruise this morning (a little Christmas Eve present) . I must admit, I've been eating out of line for the last few weeks, which is something I give myself permission to do around the holidays...I still haven't figured out why I do this.

Bottom line, I get sick of my carbs pretty quickly after a few weeks of feeling carby and bloated. I'm ready to ditch the carbs and get ready for my next cruise! I need to drop about 10 pounds, which consists of 2 pounds gained between Thanksgiving and Christmas and 8 more pounds that I just want gone. If I can accomplish this, I will be at my lowest weight in probably 20 years. I'm not trying to lose "for the cruise." I actually eat rather low carb on cruises and lost a few pounds on my last cruise, probably due to the incredible amount of walking (it sure wasn't the alcohol or the creme brulee). I've tried IF a few times and found it to be helpful. I look forward to participating in this group!

WOW!!! I didn't know this group was here until just now...my kind of group! I've been low carb for probably 15 years or more. I've kept off about 40 pounds keeping my carbs down, and have also managed to control my adult-onset diabetes (from years of not being low carb) without medication. We just booked our next cruise this morning (a little Christmas Eve present) . I must admit, I've been eating out of line for the last few weeks, which is something I give myself permission to do around the holidays...I still haven't figured out why I do this.

Bottom line, I get sick of my carbs pretty quickly after a few weeks of feeling carby and bloated. I'm ready to ditch the carbs and get ready for my next cruise! I need to drop about 10 pounds, which consists of 2 pounds gained between Thanksgiving and Christmas and 8 more pounds that I just want gone. If I can accomplish this, I will be at my lowest weight in probably 20 years. I'm not trying to lose "for the cruise." I actually eat rather low carb on cruises and lost a few pounds on my last cruise, probably due to the incredible amount of walking (it sure wasn't the alcohol or the creme brulee). I've tried IF a few times and found it to be helpful. I look forward to participating in this group![/

Welcome - I have been eating pretty 'clean' keto LCHF during the last few weeks - LOVED the prime rib for Christmas Eve - I have 'nibbled' on the bones for the last two days - I did make my first batch of 'fat bombs' - It was Keto Maple Bacon fudge made with butter - cream cheese - bacon grease - cocoa - bacon and pecans - darn good and it onl takes one little piece!

Today marks 1/2 point of our B3B 34 day cruise - still maintaining LCHF and Keto - drinking vodka on ice with sprite zero and a little wine! Also doing IF - intermittent fasting from last meal of the day until at least noon the next day - :cool:

So do they have Sprite Zero at the bars or only in the Freestyle Coke machines? Also do you know if they have Cherry Sprite Zero?

So do they have Sprite Zero at the bars or only in the Freestyle Coke machines? Also do you know if they have Cherry Sprite Zero?

Yes on Royal they do have Sprite Zero at the bars~ :cool:

Happy 2018 and may you be blessed with health and great memories!

Bottom line, I get sick of my carbs pretty quickly after a few weeks of feeling carby and bloated. I'm ready to ditch the carbs and get ready for my next cruise! I need to drop about 10 pounds, which consists of 2 pounds gained between Thanksgiving and Christmas and 8 more pounds that I just want gone. If I can accomplish this, I will be at my lowest weight in probably 20 years. I'm not trying to lose "for the cruise." I actually eat rather low carb on cruises and lost a few pounds on my last cruise, probably due to the incredible amount of walking (it sure wasn't the alcohol or the creme brulee). I've tried IF a few times and found it to be helpful. I look forward to participating in this group!

Welcome and thank you for your success story! :)

best way to lose weight for most is low carb - high fat or also called keto - Complex carbs are NOT a necessary part of your diet - we do not need them to live - they really serve no purpose - especially to those of us that have lost significant POF (pounds of fat) not eating them - I have lost 100 POF and do Not eat fruits of any type (berries are allowed but I only eat them as a treat) and any veggie that grows above ground is allowed! I do not eat grain - rice - potatoes - carrots - or pasta of any type -

If you really want to get serious and lose those POF AND get healthy - give dietdoctor.com a try - only $9 per month and quit at any time - lectures - teaching videos - menus - recipes - guidance - shopping lists and so much more!

We are here for you! :)

Hi - haven’t written for a while. Had a great cruise to NZ in mid April and did really well with my eating. My drinking - not so good. But overall not to bad.

Then came the Christmas celebrations and I certainly over indulged. So back on track again now as also back at work (which helps me stay in routine). The first few days are hard, but getting back into cooking LCHF.

We have a cruise booked for mid August Vancouver to Alaska on Celebrity Millennium, so want to drop about 2 inches of my waist before then.

Eggs will become my best friends again.

Hope you all had a blessed Christmas and a Joyous New Year. Now it time to get back to Low Carb. Who’s with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi - haven’t written for a while. Had a great cruise to NZ in mid April and did really well with my eating. My drinking - not so good. But overall not to bad.

Then came the Christmas celebrations and I certainly over indulged. So back on track again now as also back at work (which helps me stay in routine). The first few days are hard, but getting back into cooking LCHF.

We have a cruise booked for mid August Vancouver to Alaska on Celebrity Millennium, so want to drop about 2 inches of my waist before then.

Eggs will become my best friends again.

Hope you all had a blessed Christmas and a Joyous New Year. Now it time to get back to Low Carb. Who’s with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Eggs - bacon - anything that is Keto and LCHF - my best friends - We also do not drink from Saturday night to Friday afternoon - and when I do drink it is a little wine 0r Sprite zero and Absolute Ruby Red Vodka - 0 carbs!

Went to a party last night (friend threw me a late BD Party) and everyone brought LCHF/KETO snacks! There were Scoop Fritos for those that wanted - but of course, I took my own Chicharonnes!

Keep up the great work! YOU GOT THIS! :)

I’ve been mentally preparing for our cruise in 2 weeks to stay keto. I know it’s entirely possible to do. It’ll be up to me and my will power to avoid the carbs. It’s not so much weight gain as health that I need to stay on keto for. When I go off, I get headaches and irritable and my chronic hives can flare and I usually end up sick. I want to enjoy the trip without being tired the whole time. But I’m the only one in a group of 11 eating low carb and I find it hard without a buddy for support. I appreciate any tips or advice or encouragement!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk