DIY Excursions

ScarletAnchors13

My boyfriend and I will be in the Bahamas next month with the NCL Sky. We both are working toward buying a house and are trying to keep a decent budget. While looking at a lot of the Excursions we find them to be very pricey and we arnt sure that we want to spend that much money. The two islands we will be seeing aside from NCL's private island are Grand Bahama Island and Nassau. We were wondering if any one has some budget friendly alternatives to these excursions. I have seen a few walking tour suggestions that we are willing to try but we would also love to hear any other recommendations and suggestions. Ideally we would like each activity to cost less than $50 if possible. The more affordable the better, but we are okay with spending a little more for a unique experience. We also would love to hear about any DIY excursions, like has any one brought their own snorkel gear and snorkeled on their own instead of shelling out $50-100 bucks to a company?

A little about me - i love food and drinks. I am a history nerd. I also love scenic areas or anything thats just nice to look at.

Boyfriend- Vegetarian who doesn't drink. Loves adventure and wildlife. Admires sightseeing and unique experiences. Loves being out on the water.

The suggestions dont have to cater to our interest because we both love trying new things and stepping out of our comfort zone.:D

#FirstTimeCuriser

My boyfriend and I will be in the Bahamas next month with the NCL Sky. We both are working toward buying a house and are trying to keep a decent budget. While looking at a lot of the Excursions we find them to be very pricey and we arnt sure that we want to spend that much money. The two islands we will be seeing aside from NCL's private island are Grand Bahama Island and Nassau. We were wondering if any one has some budget friendly alternatives to these excursions. I have seen a few walking tour suggestions that we are willing to try but we would also love to hear any other recommendations and suggestions. Ideally we would like each activity to cost less than $50 if possible. The more affordable the better, but we are okay with spending a little more for a unique experience. We also would love to hear about any DIY excursions, like has any one brought their own snorkel gear and snorkeled on their own instead of shelling out $50-100 bucks to a company?

A little about me - i love food and drinks. I am a history nerd. I also love scenic areas or anything thats just nice to look at.

Boyfriend- Vegetarian who doesn't drink. Loves adventure and wildlife. Admires sightseeing and unique experiences. Loves being out on the water.

The suggestions dont have to cater to our interest because we both love trying new things and stepping out of our comfort zone.:D

#FirstTimeCuriser

In Nassau for the first time, for historical things you should see The Queens Staircase (Free), Fort Fincastle (1.00 or so per person)

Beaches: You can go to Junkanoo which is right by the cruise terminal and it is a free, and there is a Tiki hut selling cheap packages for drinks and chairs. usually around 30-40.00 pp for that combo, and theres cheap eats on the beach as well. The condition of this beach varies from time to time, but I've heard the water is clear but the sand/beach area is not as nice.

British Colonial Hilton is right by the cruise terminal as well, they offer day passes for 70.00pp, with a 40.00 food and beverage credit I believe. Food and drinks are quite expensive, so don't expect your 40.00 pp to go far here

Melia is a resort farther away from the cruise terminal, which you can get to by bus or by cab. Since it's your first time, I would take a cab for 5.00pp. Melia is 45.00 per person for their day pass, which only grants admission to the resort, no food or drinks. The beach Melia is on is Cable Beach I believe, it's quite nice. There is a public access point for Cable Beach, but there are no restrooms there and it's a small little area, but you still could take your beach towels there from the cruise ship, use those instead of chairs and just enjoy the beach. There is also a daquiri shack not too far from Melia that has delicious drinks for 6.00 or so each!

All inclusive Day pass options would cost you minimum of 80-90.00 per person, so since that is over your budget I won't recommend any.

I have been bringing my own snorkel gear to ports for a while. I haven't snorkeled yet in Nassau, surprisingly, but I would say the snorkeling at Cable Beach would be better than at Junkanoo.

Thanks so much! I think we are staying away from all inclusive resorts. I have stayed at so many resorts, (over 100 trips and Im only 25). While I do love love love resorts I think once you've seen one you've seen them all. Thanks for the tips tho! I think I might end up bringing my own snorkel gear for sure

Thanks so much! I think we are staying away from all inclusive resorts. I have stayed at so many resorts, (over 100 trips and Im only 25). While I do love love love resorts I think once you've seen one you've seen them all. Thanks for the tips tho! I think I might end up bringing my own snorkel gear for sure

I'll report back, I am in Nassau on Wed and Im on a budget as well. We might just go to Junkanoo if the beach is decent enough. 30.00 for two chairs and umbrellas and drinks is not a bad deal

I'll report back, I am in Nassau on Wed and Im on a budget as well. We might just go to Junkanoo if the beach is decent enough. 30.00 for two chairs and umbrellas and drinks is not a bad deal

I was super into that, I think its what im leaning towards. Have fun! I cant wait to hear how it went! :D

In Freeport, I suggest to rent a car (they are inexpensive for the day) and drive around Grand Bahama Island at your leisure. There are a number of national parks, one being Lucayan National Park; it is very interesting, as it has one of the longest underwater cave systems in the world. Gold Rock Beach is simply amazing ... it's very pristine and void of the tourist crowds.

In Freeport, I suggest to rent a car (they are inexpensive for the day) and drive around Grand Bahama Island at your leisure. There are a number of national parks, one being Lucayan National Park; it is very interesting, as it has one of the longest underwater cave systems in the world. Gold Rock Beach is simply amazing ... it's very pristine and void of the tourist crowds.

This sounds incredible. thanks so much