Booking Direct vs. Discount Agent

Bill B

I need some advice -

Background:

- Sept. 23 I got quotes for Silver Cloud, 21-night Ushuaia to Capetown cruise from SS and a discount agent (DA).

- The DA's quote was $377 less than SS, plus included $500 OBC.

- I told SS the DA's quote and asked about three transfers and a night at the Sheraton San Cristobal Tower in Santiago listed on the Voyage Confirmation. It was only then I discovered three transfers, an overnight hotel and a charter flight from Santiago to Ushuaia were included. SS said they would also give me $500 OBC (first mention of it).

- I emailed the DA to ask if his quote included the transfers, hotel and flight. He did not reply.

- Sept. 28 I emailed the DA with the questions again, and received a message he would reply "within the next full workday". Then, nothing.

- Sept. 30 I booked with SS.

- Oct. 9 I notice a 'better' room (same Cat.) had become available and SS changes my booking...no problem (the SS agent has been very responsive to all my questions from the start).

- Oct. 14 I get an email from the DA

Dear Bill B,

Is there any additional information that I can provide to you now to assist you in making your vacation decision?

Are you pleased with what has been provided to you, and are you ready to go forward?

Let me know the status of your decision at the moment, so that I can be sure that you have the best pricing for any trip that you have under consideration.

Let me hear from you soon.

Thanks very much. We wish to make your planning easy and your price to be the best.

I wrote back giving him the particulars and dates of emails sent... and stated he had NOT answered my two questions. I told him I had booked direct with Silversea. Because of our time zone differences (I'm in China), it's too early to expect a reply from him yet... maybe in a few hours.

Questions:

1. Is it true, If you book direct with SS, you have only 30 days to transfer a booking to another agent?

2. Are SS agents working on a salary or commission; or, a combination of the two?

3. If a booking is transfered to another agent is it a 'black mark' against the SS agent?

4. If the DA replies with a good excuse for not having replied to my questions, and assuming the transfers, hotel and charter flight are included in the quote, would you transfer the booking?

- Part of me says 'Don't be stupid, stay with SS... the DA doesn't respond to emails'. I do feel some loyalty to the SS rep./agent - he's been very good and has spent a fair bit of time on me.

- Another part of me says 'Don't be stupid, $377 isn't exactly peanuts... make the switch'.

Of course, if the the DA doesn't reply (again) the booking stays with SS.

Thanks,

CM

Edited by Bill B
Double words.

I can't answer all your questions but if the TA you are speaking with is not responsive and they don't even have your booking then if you give it to them you can expect the same if not worse service.

I am a big believer in finding a TA who is knowledgeable when it comes to cruising and when it comes to luxury lines such as Silversea to find an agent who is well versed with the luxury market and with the cruise line(s) you want to sail. A good agent can help you to avoid making mistakes, can cut through the red tape at a cruise line and is your advocate if something goes wrong. I do believe the agent should be competitive in the amenities that they can offer but that doesn't mean they have to offer the most because I want one who is organized, responsible, available and knowledgeable.

Given a choice of keeping a booking with Silversea or moving it to an agent who is not responsible but will give you a few extra dollars in savings I would stick with Silversea.

Given a choice of keeping a booking with Silversea or any cruise line or finding an agent with the skills I mentioned I would go with an agent each and overtime.

To me given the cost of a cruise I would not let $377.00 sway my decision.

Keith

I think the SS agents are treated like travel agents and earn commissions, not salaries. I believe that one can get somewhat more generous discounts/perks from online discount agencies and I know that SS agents will provide some perks (OBCs, etc.) if asked. But I have had lots of very helpful experiences with SS agents, who have deep connections within the organization. I don't mean to be smug, but I don't need a TA to tell me the difference between Windstar and SS, or Celebrity and Regent. Knowing that if an issue arises I am dealing directly with SS is worth a lot to me.

There was no mention of the $500 OBC from SS until I told him the DA's quote. But then, nowhere (SS's or any other website) is there any mention of the pre-cruise: transfers, hotel and charter flight.

I wonder if I would have gotten the $500 OBC if I hadn't had the other quote?

I think the SS agents are treated like travel agents and earn commissions, not salaries. I believe that one can get somewhat more generous discounts/perks from online discount agencies and I know that SS agents will provide some perks (OBCs, etc.) if asked. But I have had lots of very helpful experiences with SS agents, who have deep connections within the organization. I don't mean to be smug, but I don't need a TA to tell me the difference between Windstar and SS, or Celebrity and Regent. Knowing that if an issue arises I am dealing directly with SS is worth a lot to me.

I don’t know if it is still true but a few years ago we met a regional Silversea’s sales rep at a cruise fair and actually had lunch with her. She was talking up in-house Silversea cruise consultants and how good they were. She specifically made mention that they were salaried and not commission based so in her mind they were not driven by signing people up to make their living. Of course she went in to say they also get a bonus for the number of cruises they book. We came away from that conversation thinking it sounded a salary plus situation where they have a quota and if they exceed that they can or do make more.

That said even though we had been using an Internet based TA our first Silversea cruise was booked through an in-house PCC and she was great. During that cruise we were referred by a fellow cruiser to another Internet TA who consistently gets us 10-12% cash discounts and usually throws in a onboard credit. We’ve booked five cruises with her.

To go back to the OPs question: I don’t believe in rewarding mediocrity. You got no response from the DA for your questions, so what makes you think you would get any better service if you had real issues later on? If it were my choice (for this cruise anyway) I’d stick with the SS agent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And I will reinforce if your TA is not responsive before you book with them likely when you need them the response will be just as bad if not worse.

Also, remember that just because they know a product doesn't make them a good TA. I look for the skills I mentioned and having one skill but not the rest is not a TA I would book with. I would also add to my list that you should feel like you can speak with them and have a rapport.

Keith

If you need a doctor I assume you will seek out theist available. I you need a lawyer I assume the same. You will no go online to find a discount MD or LLD. What then would you not do the same thing for a TA. There is a HUGE difference in the knowledge and service you will get from a qualified TA and an online know nothing.

If you need a doctor I assume you will seek out theist available. I you need a lawyer I assume the same. You will no go online to find a discount MD or LLD. What then would you not do the same thing for a TA. There is a HUGE difference in the knowledge and service you will get from a qualified TA and an online know nothing.

Except I have an Internet based TA that gives me both the service I want and need and discounts. Works for me. :)

I think a lot depends on your personal experience. If you have sailed on a line many times you might know more about it than any TA and booking just for best price is a good plan. If new to a line you may need lots of hand holding and info so look for a very responsive and knowing person. I book directly many times because I find it annoying to go through a third party for everything.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I guess we all have our different experiences.

I consider myself very savvy but my TA who deals with items including complicated ones each day know how to cut through the red-tape at cruise lines and knows how to optimize our booking. Often on Cruise Critic I read questions and/or frustrations from people who are dealing with issues and to me a strong TA would not only have the knowledge and know-how to deal with them but also will run them down so I don't have to deal with it. I also want a TA who has a strong infrastructure in place. In other words, if the TA is out of the office that there is someone else there to provide the support.

I will add when things go wrong on a booking or with some related issue a TA can be your advocate to getting them resolved.

I do look for balance so I don't just go with a TA who provides the most savings I look for competitiveness in this area and knowledge and high levels of service and the ability to treat me as an individual and not a commission. A strong TA can also help to save you money so while someone else might provide more amenities the one who can help you save more money could turn out to provide you with a lower cost.

Anyway like most things we all have different approaches when it comes to booking directly with a cruise line or booking with a TA and in how they choose their TA.

Keith

I guess we all have our different experiences.

I consider myself very savvy but my TA who deals with items including complicated ones each day know how to cut through the red-tape at cruise lines and knows how to optimize our booking. Often on Cruise Critic I read questions and/or frustrations from people who are dealing with issues and to me a strong TA would not only have the knowledge and know-how to deal with them but also will run them down so I don't have to deal with it. I also want a TA who has a strong infrastructure in place. In other words, if the TA is out of the office that there is someone else there to provide the support.

I will add when things go wrong on a booking or with some related issue a TA can be your advocate to getting them resolved.

I do look for balance so I don't just go with a TA who provides the most savings I look for competitiveness in this area and knowledge and high levels of service and the ability to treat me as an individual and not a commission. A strong TA can also help to save you money so while someone else might provide more amenities the one who can help you save more money could turn out to provide you with a lower cost.

Anyway like most things we all have different approaches when it comes to booking directly with a cruise line or booking with a TA and in how they choose their TA.

Keith

Totally agree,we have used same agent since 1998 for our annual SS cruises.Sorts out any problems with flight routing,hotels etc as well as providing far better deals than available direct.We have started or completed many cruises over the past 10 years at London Tower Bridge and always invite our excellent agent on the Wind for a visit and meal.She is now familiar with on board crew as well as SS office staff as much as we are which all adds up to an excellent arrangement as far as we are concerned.I suppose it can vary throughout the world regarding the quality of Agent available,but it works for us and long may it do so.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I forget two issues. First, check what the cancellation fee might be. Many charge 100$ on top of SS 200$. I had a agent in LA and the time change was a big annoying factor. However you do it it will be a great trip😂

Covered -

I basically asked two (as yet unanswered) questions of the DA:

- are the transfers, hotel and charter flight included?

- does your agency have a cancellation policy any different than Silversea?

I would not waste my time on that TA. Maybe they will match the other offer. Maybe they will forgo any agency cancellation fees. Then what? Would you book with them hoping to get something more than you have booking direct? And even if they give you something more would it be worth this amount of negotiation and still, in the back on my mind is, after I pay will that be the last time I will hear from them.

You seem to have a good rep at SS. While I prefer having the advice of a TA and having them take care of the arrangements, assuming you like the booking offer you have now, this is a time I suggest booking direct to secure the offer you have now or find another TA. If they are too busy to respond to me I would not chase them.

BillB, you have received some good advice from many cruise critics on this thread.

Answering one of your questions, by all means we would transfer this booking. In fact we were booked for months on this Silver Cloud expedition (USH to Capetown, Feb 28) voyage but late last month we canceled for various reasons--maybe the new suite you are now booked in was the one we released.

We book our Silversea cruises with our TA (not direct with SS) for service above & beyond before, during, and post cruise. Moreover, with our TA based on their generous discount provided to every SS client, our 11th SS cruise is near $0 cost based on the discount we have received from our previously booked/sailed ten SS cruises.

Emtbsam/Victoria if Bob and you were sailing on the Spirit fall 2018 crossing am guessing you would get to spend time with your/our TA while on board.

Edited by WesW

Answering one of your questions, by all means we would transfer this booking.

You would???

In fact we were booked for months on this Silver Cloud expedition (USH to Capetown, Feb 28) voyage but late last month we canceled for various reasons--maybe the new suite you are now booked in was the one we released.
I'm on the 2019 voyage.

Moreover, with our TA based on their generous discount provided to every SS client, our 11th SS cruise is near $0 cost based on the discount we have received from our previously booked/sailed ten SS cruises.

I don't understand what you're saying. EDIT: I get it - Your 11th cruise is 'sort of' free... because you've saved approximately 10% on each of the previous 10 cruises. Correct?

It's highly unlikely I'll transfer the booking to the DA... unless I get the right answers; and, he has a REALLY GOOD excuse for not responding earlier - like a hurricane wiped out his computer system.

Edited by Bill B

Hmmmm...

I searched for reviews of the DA and found three very positive ones on trustpilot.com. However, on sitejabber.com (under reviews of CruiseCritic), I found this -

"
xxxx xxxxxx
is a thief!asking directly to REGENT cruises as I had doubts on the amount asked by Mr xxxxxx we realised that he had made us pay for pre and post cruise program & hotels included in the cruise fare!! he asked us to wire him directly on his bank account and not to Regent!More than 4000 USD!
After sending proof given by @regentcruises that he had cheated on us : NO more ANSWERS
"

Perhaps the DA doesn't want to answer my questions because he wants to charge me for the 'included' transfers, hotel and charter flight!

Hmmmm...

I searched for reviews of the DA and found three very positive ones on trustpilot.com. However, on sitejabber.com (under reviews of CruiseCritic), I found this -

"
xxxx xxxxxx
is a thief!asking directly to REGENT cruises as I had doubts on the amount asked by Mr xxxxxx we realised that he had made us pay for pre and post cruise program & hotels included in the cruise fare!! he asked us to wire him directly on his bank account and not to Regent!More than 4000 USD!
After sending proof given by @regentcruises that he had cheated on us : NO more ANSWERS
"

Perhaps the DA doesn't want to answer my questions because he wants to charge me for the 'included' transfers, hotel and charter flight!

Of note in your post is that the TA deposits at least some of the payments, deposits, etc., to their own bank account. I will not and have not done any business with a TA of any sort that does that. In 14 years of booking cruises through Internet based TAs I’ve never had one do that. Find a new TA.

Dear Bill, stick to the 3 giant OTAs. All 3 are doing huge volumes, have big reputations and good reviews.

One gives you a cash card.

Another has insider rates for Norwegian, MSC & Holland.

A third gives max OBC.

All have secure direct booking facility with the Cruise lines.

No wiring cash to someone's personal account or giving CC information on phone or email.

Edited by drsel