Changing from suit and tie to casual wear after dining in MDR on Formal Night? Do you

Kingofcool1947

You just need to find a better tailor...my Tux is like wearing pajamas...very comfortable...and I do my own shoes, not shoes from the Formal Wear shop...then drink 2 bottles of wine and enjoy the evening!
Dilly ...Dilly ;)

I have been asked by my DW to dress up and wear a suit and tie when dining in the MDR on Formal Night on our next cruise. 15 day Panama Canal Cruise Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. It’s been years since I’ve worn a suit and tie to dinner in MDR on Formal Night. On recent cruises, I’ve worn a Guayabera shirt for dining in the MDR on Formal Night. But pressure to wear a suit and tie prevails. :( FWIW, I just feel more comfortable dining without wearing a suit and tie. That’s just me, YMMV. :)

So my question is: Do many of you change out of your suit and tie after dinner in MDR on Formal Night to casual wear to enjoy the entertainment and walking around the ship? Is it appropriate to change into a tee shirt and shorts?

I will be sailing on the Coral next week for 15 day Panama Canal cruise. I anticipate it will be very warm weather to wear a suit and tie all evening.

Thanks for guidance re: after dinner Formal Night dress rules.

Don't let the pressure make you wear a tie and suit. Be comfortable and wear a polo shirt and long pants. After dinner, back into your shorts. Life is short, be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You just need to find a better tailor...my Tux is like wearing pajamas...very comfortable...and I do my own shoes, not shoes from the Formal Wear shop...then drink 2 bottles of wine and enjoy the evening!

Has nothing to do with finding a better tailor. I personally do not like wearing tuxedos or suits. Consequently, they make me uncomfortable regardless of how they fit.

Has nothing to do with finding a better tailor. I personally do not like wearing tuxedos or suits. Consequently, they make me uncomfortable regardless of how they fit.
my second wife had the same compunction. Thats why we got married at a nudist colony.

Although we have no way of knowing for sure, I do not think that most posters on this thread have sailed Cunard. And for what it is worth, this is a Princess thread and not a Cunard threat. And while we are at it, I have no desire whatsoever to sail on Cunard!

I was merely illustrating the difference....that Cunard is probably the only one who expects passengers to stay dressed....the OP asked if they should change or not after dinner.

(And I bet more of us have sailed on Cunard than you think)

WE dress for the cruise line. Cunard we've sailed the most, so we dressed properly for it. Celebrity & Princess, we dress in suits & sport coats.(formal & "Chic" nights)Smart casual nights we usually dress in nice slacks & dress shirt. Sometimes a sport coat if we want to kick it up a bit. As to Cunard, if you don't like to dress up(a TUX is NOT required, by the way)then skip the cruise line. Food is very good & if you like dancing(best dance floors at sea)Probably the best lecture guests in the cruise industry, but if it's not your thing, then skip the line.

I agree on your assessment...but I guess we're not allowed to mention Cunard....after all this is a Princess thread! LOL!;p

Not on QM2 in March, Sydney - Hong Kong. Some male pax in Tracksuit tops and jeans in Brittannia Restaurant for dinner and a few in casual dress in public rooms and theatre after the supposed 'bewitching hour of 6pm. The after 6pm - formal dress was rarely enforced. Much to the disgust of the many Brit world cruisers on board.:halo:

HMMM! Have never seen that on QM2....maybe Sydney is more casual??

I will continue to pack and wear a suit on formal nights as long as it is a Princess Policy. I would hate to get the evil eye from the 95% who do respect the policy.

If and when the policy is changed I will be one of the first to leave my suit at home.

I will continue to pack and wear a suit on formal nights as long as it is a Princess Policy. I would hate to get the evil eye from the 95% who do respect the policy.

If and when the policy is changed I will be one of the first to leave my suit at home.

Not exactly. Hundreds have already beaten you to that situation.

95%? lol.

I welcome the evil eye. hahaha

Dilly .. Dilly to Paul & Vicki

Who cares if someone else gives them the "evil eye" ? Means nothing to many.

The policy has already been relaxed so unless you're dressing to please yourself you can leave it home in the future.

I imagine you stand at all 3 MDR doors and record how he pax entering are dressed on formal nights. It must be tiring standing there for the 4 hours the MDR is open not to mention the feat of being in 3 places on the ship at once.

Appears as though the more expensive Cunard is also starting to look the other way on dress code to some extent. Not a surprise since we see that in our every day lives. I had to visit my friendly physician last week. I remember when they wore a white lab coat and shirt and tie. While dressed nice, he had a pair of dockers and a sport shirt on.

I do agree that verbally attacking a ship staff member is not called for nor attacking a waiter in a restaurant here at home for some omission. I don't like to see others doing it. Differences of opinion can be discussed in an adult manner with the crew member realizing that you are unhappy with something without resorting to abusive behavior.

Do some comparison shopping. You'll find Cunard/Celebrity/Princess to have surprisingly similar pricing. If anything the Suites on the Regal are just as nice as those on Celebrity/Cunard. The only thing is the overall lack of amenities in the Princess suites. I think you'll start seeing that change as Princess will want to attract more high-end pax. I never thought of NCL as high-end, but if you stay in the "Haven" on their larger ships, they'll give any luxury line a run for their money.