shipping luggage

zqtchas

I think you will find the discussion to which you are referring in the thread entitled "Live: Silver Muse -Lisbon to Montreal 8/31-9/28."

Since posting on that thread, I have had another interaction with Luggage Forward and continue to be very impressed.

Glad to hear good things about Luggage Forward. When we disembarked from the Muse in FLL, at curbside, there was a man holding a sign that read 'Luggage Forward'. It made no sense at the time, but I wonder if he was there picking up passengers' luggage. I should have stopped to ask him, but I was too busy heading to the airport.

Glad to hear good things about Luggage Forward. When we disembarked from the Muse in FLL, at curbside, there was a man holding a sign that read 'Luggage Forward'. It made no sense at the time, but I wonder if he was there picking up passengers' luggage. I should have stopped to ask him, but I was too busy heading to the airport.

It is almost certainly the case that he was waiting for a passenger to emerge with luggage, that he would then collect. The luggage would have tags from DHL or FedEx or UPS provided by Luggage Forward prior to departure. With the tracking number one can track the progress of the luggage back home.

The person you saw would almost certainly not have been an employee of Luggage Forward. Instead, he was most probably an employee of a cargo forwarding company or some similar outfit contracted by Luggage Forward. I doubt he could have told you much about the process.

In one case, however, I disembarked at an overseas port without any local currency for a taxi. The USD was not widely accepted by taxi drivers. The agent representing Luggage Forward who was there to pick up my bag kindly agreed to drive me in his truck to my hotel, and I of course gave him a generous gift in USD. I was very grateful! :)

I was unaware that it was the passenger's responsibility to deliver bags to the luggage forwarding service. I have seen bags the last night with obvious luggage forwarding tags on them and assumed that it would be handled automatically. Do you happen to know if this is handled differently if one is using SS luggage service?

I was unaware that it was the passenger's responsibility to deliver bags to the luggage forwarding service. I have seen bags the last night with obvious luggage forwarding tags on them and assumed that it would be handled automatically. Do you happen to know if this is handled differently if one is using SS luggage service?

Don't know. Am still in the investigative stage. Our TA said it's very expensive thru SS (@$300) & since we go biz cl it's not worth it.

I always place the forwarding company tags on the luggage when I leave it out the night before disembarkation. Then I do not have to worry about affixing them in a hurry.

I think that in many (nearly all?) cases one must see the luggage through customs personally. That is, one goes through immigration/customs with one's bags, is cleared by the authorities, and then delivers the cleared bags to the forwarding company. I realize the customs is generally quite perfunctory, but it's a process that, on disembarkation, one must go through oneself.

Yes, in the majority of cases you claim your luggage like you would luggage you are taking with you and then you go through customs and then hand your luggage over to the representative who is either waiting inside or is outside the terminal where you exit.

There are three major luggage services; Luggage Forward, Luggage Free and Luggage Concierge.

In most instances they use the same shipping company.

Prices will vary and how they charge you may vary. For example some charge you by weight rather then number of pieces of luggage whereas another one charges by number and size of pieces and not the actual weight.

It is not cheap to ship luggage. You are paying for the convenience of not having to deal with it.

Keith

Yes, in the majority of cases you claim your luggage like you would luggage you are taking with you and then you go through customs and then hand your luggage over to the representative who is either waiting inside or is outside the terminal where you exit.

There are three major luggage services; Luggage Forward, Luggage Free and Luggage Concierge.

In most instances they use the same shipping company.

Prices will vary and how they charge you may vary. For example some charge you by weight rather then number of pieces of luggage whereas another one charges by number and size of pieces and not the actual weight.

It is not cheap to ship luggage. You are paying for the convenience of not having to deal with it.

Keith

I would think the convenience would be they take from home to ship & ship to home. Which is declared through the postal/shipping system, as when one would when purchasing something from overseas, with declaring paper work attached.

We use either First Luggage or the Silversea Valet Service for all cruises and the service has always been Home to Ship (or overnight hotel in port of embarkation if applicable) and return inform reception and they deal with it for return to home address.We attach the appropriate completed tags to the cases for both journeys.The tags are sent to home address well in advance of departure from home for both journeys.It is a great service which has not failed us in 20 years of SS cruises.Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would think the convenience would be they take from home to ship & ship to home. Which is declared through the postal/shipping system, as when one would when purchasing something from overseas, with declaring paper work attached.

When shipping overseas you will fill summarize the contents of what is being shipped and that is included with the other paperwork. Some providers give you a set form to fill in while others just have you put it together yourself such as on a word document.

Keith