Miami Hotels Pre-cruise Stay

Philandher

We have various options for our 3 night pre-cruise stay in Miami in March, some being in downtown Miami and others in Miami Beach, any thoughts on the 2 locations and recommended hotels would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Phil

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and would say this. It depends on what you want to do and see. Downtown is not much to do or see unless you work there. Miami Beach is obviously the beach. Also depends on your budget the beach will be higher than downtown. I would suggest even if you have never been to South Beach stay there. Yes it is crowded on the weekends & you will be there during the height of our tourist season and maybe spring break but it is simply an experience not to be missed if you have never been there & it is right on the beach. There are oodles of restaurants and shops to just walk around and look. Lastly I don;t know if you like stone crabs but there is a place that tourists and locals flock to and they just re-opened for the season Joe's Stone Crabs.

There is a hotel called the Delano that is in the heart of South beach owned by Gloria Estefan.

If you need any other advice let me know.

Kathy

Edited by rabin1

I agree, the Intercontinental Miami is over rated and very poor. We had a bad stay pre cruise in April last year, they convinced to give them another chance, guess what January it was worse if possible. They rely on one night stands for the cruise ships and are not motivated to ensure repeat business. Another good one to look at (not a water view) is the J W Marriott Marquis - lovely roof top pool

when are you talking? month? i stayed at the Ritz in March and everywhere was music. .loud and louder. right now the Ritz is in rehab- blaming Irma but everything around them is open.

never head of the Shore Club. just so many and many are older. Use to stay mid MB but I like the beginning of S Beach.

My wife and I have stayed at the Epic and The Betsy in Miami. Both are fine hotels but pricey if you are on a tight budget.

The Epic was in the downtown/financial district and if you are a walker, it is in a concrete jungle. Although there is a Native American prayer circle that is interesting nearby. The rooms are very nice and the staff is friendly. They had a free wine tasting. The restaurants are not part of the hotel but include a steakhouse and asian fusion restaurant.

The Betsy is in the Art Deco area of South Beach near the end of Ocean Drive. Also pricey with a resort fee tagged on to the room that gives you access to 2 beach loungers and an umbrella. It is QUIET given the proximity to the beach and the party palaces. If you are a walker, or a people watcher, there is plenty to see and do. Lots of restaurants in walking distance including some places where the locals eat.

We are booked on the Dec 22nd Holiday cruise and we are returning to the Betsy for our pre and post cruise stays. Looking forward to relaxing on the beach. TA is still working on cruise transfers to and from the hotel.

To be fair, there are cheaper and quiet hotels nearby with beach access but I have no experience with them.

We are looking for a "cruise and park" in Miami for a late march to cuba.......Any suggestions!!

I use to live in MIA and not heard of this. Maybe park at pier. Have no idea of cost. Also check the boards under mia or Fl departures

Google Park and Fly for airport parking OR Google Parking at the port of Miami. I just did and found quite a number of what you are looking for so take your pick.................

Kathy

My husband and I stayed at the InterContinental in September and had a wonderful stay. The hotel was very nice and right on the bay. Our room was large. Even though I didn't book a bay view, our room was at the end of the hall and I could see a portion of the bay from my window.

The hotel is within walking distance to stores, restaurants, and shopping. A cab from the hotel to the port was $13 plus tip. I believe cab fair from the port to the airport is a flat $27.

The night we stayed, there was a concert nearby and we could hear the music late at night. If booking a hotel in this area, I would recommend researching to see what events are taking place during your stay.

I agree, the Intercontinental Miami is over rated and very poor. We had a bad stay pre cruise in April last year, they convinced to give them another chance, guess what January it was worse if possible. They rely on one night stands for the cruise ships

Oh No!!!! We are staying, only one night, in November. Last time we stayed at the downtown Hyatt Regency and that was dreadful. I thought the Intercontinental must be an improvement on that. Should have gone back to the Epic.

Oh No!!!! We are staying, only one night, in November. Last time we stayed at the downtown Hyatt Regency and that was dreadful. I thought the Intercontinental must be an improvement on that. Should have gone back to the Epic.

I have been to the IC twice. it is ok./ one time view was better than the other. but just so big of a hotel.

I found the Epic walking to dinner as i ate in the Asian one there. a little over price for the food. prices more LA than Mia and not as good as Nobu. i really need to walk past the hotel on Brickel.

Im going to put in a plug to avoid the giant boxes on the beach and look for a small boutique hotel in the Miami Beach area. Usually, you aren’t right on South Beach, so it’s much quieter, but are only a block or two from the ocean, so it’s an easy walk. We chose Blue Moon, a Marriott Branded Boutique, but there are plenty of others, many unaffiliated with a major brand. They aren’t cheap in season and have to be booked early because they have fewer rooms, but the experience is very nice!

More on our Miami stay: http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog?category=Miami

You didn’t ask, but if you want to get “jazzed” about Cuba, we have several posts with pics of our land trip there:

http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog?category=Cuba

Im going to put in a plug to avoid the giant boxes on the beach and look for a small boutique hotel in the Miami Beach area. Usually, you aren’t right on South Beach, so it’s much quieter, but are only a block or two from the ocean, so it’s an easy walk. We chose Blue Moon, a Marriott Branded Boutique, but there are plenty of others, many unaffiliated with a major brand. They aren’t cheap in season and have to be booked early because they have fewer rooms, but the experience is very nice!

More on our Miami stay: http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog?category=Miami

You didn’t ask, but if you want to get “jazzed” about Cuba, we have several posts with pics of our land trip there:

http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog?category=Cuba

I agree with you and I live here. I said a hotel to go to but apparently it was not the right fit.

Kathy

My wife and I have stayed at the Epic and The Betsy in Miami. Both are fine hotels but pricey if you are on a tight budget.

The Epic was in the downtown/financial district and if you are a walker, it is in a concrete jungle. Although there is a Native American prayer circle that is interesting nearby. The rooms are very nice and the staff is friendly. They had a free wine tasting. The restaurants are not part of the hotel but include a steakhouse and asian fusion restaurant.

The Betsy is in the Art Deco area of South Beach near the end of Ocean Drive. Also pricey with a resort fee tagged on to the room that gives you access to 2 beach loungers and an umbrella. It is QUIET given the proximity to the beach and the party palaces. If you are a walker, or a people watcher, there is plenty to see and do. Lots of restaurants in walking distance including some places where the locals eat.

We are booked on the Dec 22nd Holiday cruise and we are returning to the Betsy for our pre and post cruise stays. Looking forward to relaxing on the beach. TA is still working on cruise transfers to and from the hotel.

To be fair, there are cheaper and quiet hotels nearby with beach access but I have no experience with them.

Thanks for the recommendation, we've decided to go with The Betsy, it looks great and perfect for us, can't wait!!