Ruby Princess cabin electricity: Power off when no key card in slot?

SnowCrocus

On some ships, when you are in your cabin, you put your key card in a slot by the door, and the power in your cabin works, and then when you leave your cabin, you take your key card out of the slot by the door, and your power will turn off. Does Ruby Princess cabin electricity work like this? I usually charge my iPhone during the night and my iPad during the day.

I read that if your cabin's electricity is like this, if you want to leave an iPad or camera battery charging in your empty cabin, you should bring an extra card that you wouldn't mind leaving in the cabin door slot when you're out and about.

Thank you.

I agree with Cheeseclan, I have only seen this on the Royal, but had assumed the same, that all three ships, Regal, Majestic and Royal all had a similar set up.

The Ruby did not have that set up when we sailed on her last year. The Emerald also did not have that set up this year in September. I don't know if they are converting the ships to that "energy saving" process, but I don't think you have to worry about it on the Ruby.

The Royal, Regal and Majestic have the power card slot. When there is not a card in the slot all power in the room is off to include AC. I use an old hotel card and keep it in there all the time. Keeps room cool.

I don't believe the AC is connected to the card switch. The room would never cool down of switched off all day long.

On Regal last month - I believe it controls the lights but the outlets remain powered at all times (unless that was a pre-cruise hotel where the outlets remained live).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't keep my electric tooth brush charged on the Regal. Didn't think of trying another type of card in the slot.

The Royal, Regal and Majestic have the power card slot. When there is not a card in the slot all power in the room is off to include AC. I use an old hotel card and keep it in there all the time. Keeps room cool.

I agree, all power to the room is off when the card is not in place. If you want any chance of a cool room or refrigerator, keep a card in the slot at all times. I used my proof of car insurance card and it stayed there the whole cruise.

Do turn off your lights when you leave the room or the steward may remove it if lights are left on.

IF you need to put something in a slot, it doesn't have to be your room key! You can fold a piece of paper, and it will work...or a grocery store card....anything that will block the "beam" of light in that fixture. That's all it takes. I would lock myself out of the cabin multiple times if I had to put my key in that thing!

Our cabin steward removed the card we used and took it from the room. After we questioned him ( and pointed out it was a prepaid visa -only had a couple dollars on it before some gets uptight with me, but it was the principle of him taking it away that got me) it miraculously showed up under our door 2 days later

Our cabin steward removed the card we used and took it from the room. After we questioned him ( and pointed out it was a prepaid visa -only had a couple dollars on it before some gets uptight with me, but it was the principle of him taking it away that got me) it miraculously showed up under our door 2 days later

I'm with you. Theft is theft. Could have been your gym card or such, having it go walkies is gonna be a hassle.

I could write volumes about how the whole power cut off idea is just wrong. Power on ship is finite, I get it, but so is one's patience with miserly people. It's like those little restaurants where they don't have linen or paper napkin dispensers on the table nor paper napkins in accessible dispensers, but they give you one paper napkin with your food.

I did the same thing using my old Dunking Donuts Card. I told the cabin steward not to take it out of the slot because. I was charging my iPad. He said no problem.

Tony

I agree, all power to the room is off when the card is not in place. If you want any chance of a cool room or refrigerator, keep a card in the slot at all times. I used my proof of car insurance card and it stayed there the whole cruise.

Do turn off your lights when you leave the room or the steward may remove it if lights are left on.

Next time you on the Regal or Royal pull you card out & check the air flow of the AC.

You'll fine that it's the same with or without the card in place.

The lighting & switch outlets are the only thing controlled by the card.

I haven't had the steward actually take the card, I have had him remove it so that was was not activating the lights.

All this planning seems like so much work. On every princess cruise I've been on, they give you a little

pocket map -- folded about 30 times into a 2"x3" size

The back cover is card stock. Tear off. Put in slot. Leave your expired library card at home.

I'm happy to turn the lights off when I leave, but if I put my actual cruise card in that slot,

I would be locked out of my cabin frequently. (but at least I would know where I left my card)

Only the newest class ships (Royal, etc) have the feature to control the room and not the older ships like the Ruby. We were on another Carnival Corp ship that had the "feature" and had forgot to bring an old gift card. I used a piece of paper cut to the appropriate size and it worked. One day on the 7 day cruise the room steward took the paper out but left it so that I could use it again. He only took it out one time. Maybe his supervisor was checking on him when he did it? Moral to story is that anything that will block the sensing light and fit into the slot will work.

Room stewards actually put a service card in the slot while they are working on a room and could easily forget to put your temporary card back. Their process is so automatic that they don't even think about it.

Room stewards actually put a service card in the slot while they are working on a room and could easily forget to put your temporary card back. Their process is so automatic that they don't even think about it.

I think they only do that if the slot is empty so they can turn on the lights as there is no card reader or anything in this slot except for an optical switch. I returned to our cabin one day while Michael our steward was cleaning our room and my card was still in the slot.

I did the same on the Regal last week. My room steward kept removing the card, which I found very annoying since the slot controls the A/C as well as the lights. Once we got into cooler weather I didn't mind as much, but when it was sticky and humid I found having the air off for a length of time meant it was difficult to cool the cabin quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did the same on the Regal last week. My room steward kept removing the card, which I found very annoying since the slot controls the A/C as well as the lights. Once we got into cooler weather I didn't mind as much, but when it was sticky and humid I found having the air off for a length of time meant it was difficult to cool the cabin quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The smarter room stewards try not to annoy their passengers by doing such things, thus getting extra tips:)