EURODAM, First Cruise EVER! Are we too young for this cruise?

Bernabei203

So I will be sailing out of Seattle in 17 days!

I have never cruised before and was NOT looking forward to going to cold weather when I originally booked (its a family trip for my parents 55th Anniversary) However, after MUCH research I am SUPER excited now to be seeing AK. My only concerns are this, Is there a nice club at night where you can go and listen to music and dance and have a cocktail? I am 48 and my better half is 58 and we would like to be able to stay out past 11pm.( lol at least on occasion). Im not sure ill be interested in the test kitchen or the other "enrichment" things they have. Just seems like there is not many things to actually do on sea days or later into the evening. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? I am super excited to be cruising on HAL i have to say, I am just hoping I will find activities to fill up my day, Thanks

The Gallery bar is usually open until at least 1:00 AM. Both the B.B. King Club and the Billboard Onboard Piano Bar usually have sets that start around 11:00 PM. A DJ typically comes on in the Queens Lounge after the last B.B. King set. I don't know how late people will be up in Alaska since it's pretty port-intensive, but there should be something going on.

We did our first cruise to Alaska on HAL in the late nineties, at that time I was mid-30's and my DW a couple of years younger, so your definitely not too young!

Generally there is not too much night life on HAL ships, its can get pretty sparse, people wise, starting between 10-11 at night. I'm a night owl, but even i find myself going to bed earlier than normal on cruises, partly because we have to get up earlier than usual in order to get dressed, eat, etc., and be off the ship at 8am each morning. So to get a good 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I try and be in bed by midnight.

Also, depending on the port activities that day, I'm sometimes pretty tired too.

The Gallery bar is usually open until at least 1:00 AM. Both the B.B. King Club and the Billboard Onboard Piano Bar usually have sets that start around 11:00 PM. A DJ typically comes on in the Queens Lounge after the last B.B. King set. I don't know how late people will be up in Alaska since it's pretty port-intensive, but there should be something going on.

Thank you!!! Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of the sea days so this is very helpful!

We did our first cruise to Alaska on HAL in the late nineties, at that time I was mid-30's and my DW a couple of years younger, so your definitely not too young!

Generally there is not too much night life on HAL ships, its can get pretty sparse, people wise, starting between 10-11 at night. I'm a night owl, but even i find myself going to bed earlier than normal on cruises, partly because we have to get up earlier than usual in order to get dressed, eat, etc., and be off the ship at 8am each morning. So to get a good 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I try and be in bed by midnight.

Also, depending on the port activities that day, I'm sometimes pretty tired too.

Thanks! Im all for getting sleep too! lol Cant stay up late everynight.

Two years ago we did an AK with one of our daughters (47) and her husband (50+) and they had a great time. We (being oldies) would go to bed at 9:30 or 10 and they would dance, party and sometimes Karaoke among other things. They still talk about how much fun they had - and this was not their first cruise.

I suspect you will have a great time and, speaking from the parents perspective, you will definitely please them by going ..

harry

We are on the same cruise. I have cruised several times before on NCL and Royal. This will be my second cruise to Alaska and my first ruise ever on HAL. From the reviews I have read HAL seems somewhat similar to NCL.

Alaska is the star of this cruise and this is a great itinerary. My last Alaskan cruise, on Royal, was the last week of August and the weather was fine. One of the nice features of the Eurodam is the pool with the closable roof. I think you will have a great time!

Our son and daughter-in-law took 2 HAL cruises before trying out another one; let's just say it was one of the "party boats". They said never again, and are back to HAL. He's 36, she's 35. They find lots of things to do on the ship and off, and have said they were glad we introduced them to HAL.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We were just on a HAL cruise in Alaska and even my kids had a great time - the 24 and 26 year old went dancing in the Crow's Nest (we were on the Amsterdam) The piano bar was always crowded (but no dancing there). I was actually surprised at the demographic on the ship - it seemed like there were all ages, younger couples, families with kids, and plenty of people in your age group (which is my age group too).

The HAL ships are quiet and for older people is a well-earned reputation but mainly on the longer cruises that go all over the world. You have to have lots of time off and a bank account to support the ticket prices, which tends to mean the "older" passenger. However, there are exceptions for everything.

You picked a good ship with enough variety in what it offers that I think you will enjoy this cruise very much.

And if not, it only a few hours out of your life, which may still have nearly a half million more hours to make up for any you feel lost on this cruise. Throw a few away and maybe discover something new to do with them. At least you get to be awake for the "midnight buffet" which we have never experienced in our nearly 500 days onboard HAL ships. We are the early to be set. .So we would love to have you report back just on that late night event. They sound like they have a lot of fun food to explore.

We are in our early 50’s and during our cruise 19 night Panama we were one of the youngest onboard. We found the Billboard our favourite place and we often were out for the late show.

I think with a shorter cruise you may have a lower age demographic. There was dancing at BBKings but the crows nest has been shrunk to half the space and is certainly quieter with no dancing.

I will say it was comical to see lots of older folks sleeping at the late show.[emoji12]

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While HAL might not be like Carnival or Royal Caribbean with activities and partying it has a lot of activities that can go until at least 9:30 or 10:00 not counting some bars and lounges that are open longer than that. Our family has ages from 78 to 7 years old including some 30 somethings and teens and we still have a great time as a family. If you want partying till 1:00 am or water parks on the ship then choose another ship, but otherwise HAL has a variety including some activities well after the dinner meal.

Two years ago we did an AK with one of our daughters (47) and her husband (50+) and they had a great time. We (being oldies) would go to bed at 9:30 or 10 and they would dance, party and sometimes Karaoke among other things. They still talk about how much fun they had - and this was not their first cruise.

I suspect you will have a great time and, speaking from the parents perspective, you will definitely please them by going ..

harry

I didn't think they had Karaoke?

i sorry but i do find Hal to be an older crowd and the cruises more subdued then alot of others and i'm mid 60's and can still b one of the youngsters on board !!! BB King can get old fast and the night club was almost empty everyday on our cruise.. Everyone was in bed by 10 mostly.. That being said we do like their smaller ships... think they r clean ships and we like the port itinearies...... But i do not recommend HAL to a young individual...

i sorry but i do find Hal to be an older crowd and the cruises more subdued then alot of others and i'm mid 60's and can still b one of the youngsters on board !!! BB King can get old fast and the night club was almost empty everyday on our cruise.. Everyone was in bed by 10 mostly.. That being said we do like their smaller ships... think they r clean ships and we like the port itinearies...... But i do not recommend HAL to a young individual...

Thanks, I guess I will find out in 17 days! I am NOT into all the bells and whistles and actually want to plan a cruise for my 50th to the mexican riviera I don’t like huge crowds so maybe HAL will be exactly what I want. Just hoping I’m

Not “board” on ship.

Every cruise is what you make of it. The purpose of the cruise is family and Alaska so I'm sure you'll be fine. There will be enough to do on land that you probably won't miss the lack of action onboard. HAL is definitely an older crowd and rather boring in our opinion (at least the smaller ships) but we go for the port experience. Have fun and enjoy watching your parents have the time of their lives. How nice that they get to experience their 55th with family.

My wife and I just returned from the same cruise on Eurodam (July 28 - Aug 4). It was fantastic. There will be lots to do, or not, it's your choice. This cruise is port intensive and I suggest you book your shore excursions on line now as well as the up-sale restaurants. Tamarind on Saturday night will be fantastic and you'll miss the semi-controlled chaos of the MDR that first night. Also do Canaletto (for dinner, say at 8PM on Monday night after whatever you plan to do in Juneau. Pinnacle Grill is always wonderful. Search out the Dutch Pea Soup offered while you are cruising Glacier Bay. You can get it for sure in the Crows Nest but it is supposed to be available on the rear Lido deck and out on the forward deck (which the only open for Glacier Bay) as well. Enjoy your cruise. We loved ours. Neptune Suite and all.

Cheers

You’ll be just fine! We began our cruising adventures 10 years ago on the Eurodam when we were 31. We’ve since spent time on Norwegian and MSC but still find the bit quieter scene of HAL to be our favorite! Working toward that fourth star!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks:) looking forward to it Soo much. Again it was more for the sea days I was concerned about. It sounds heavenly!!!

What do you do when things get boring at home? Probably some of the same options on board too.

Here is what a sea day looks like for us (old people) - late breakfast, attend lectures, laze in a deck chair, walk around the promenade deck, browse the lunch options, eat lunch, read a book/listen on tape, watch a movie, attend a lecture, write in a trip journal, spa or fitness time, get ready for dinner, meet others pre-dinner in one of the many bars, eat dinner, wander the ship, watch a show, listen to some of the music choices, Plan for the next day's port. Go to bed and sleep amazingly well, while getting gently rocked to sleep.

PS: we turn off all electronic media when traveling, but with the cheaper unlimited onboard web time now, one can stay hooked up to the outside world and fill in some of those down hours. However, I do stock up with free audio books for my ipod from our local library - and work through several books per cruise. This is a luxury for me having this down time for "reading".

You’ll be just fine! We began our cruising adventures 10 years ago on the Eurodam when we were 31. We’ve since spent time on Norwegian and MSC but still find the bit quieter scene of HAL to be our favorite! Working toward that fourth star!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Awesome! Thank you.

I will also be on this cruise. Just booked it Thursday. I am mid 50's and I love HAL, even though they are a bit sedate. I generally find the evening main stage show to my liking. They do a cinematography show produced by BBC Earth, accompanied by live music that is fabulous. I am a night owl, my husband is not. I usually go to my stateroom after the last Billboard on Board set. If I am not tired I will watch a movie. One of the great things about Eurodam is it has interactive TV, you can choose movies and TV shows on demand. Not really what I cruise for, but a nice wind down at the end of a fun filled day. I have been on the Ryndam, Oosterdam (twice), Eurodam, and the Westerdam. The other passengers have differed per itinerary, the crowd to Alaska (last year) was fairly balanced, (families, seniors, middle age, newly wed). Similar to my Alaska cruises on other lines (Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean). That said, is there less to do on HAL? yes. My favorite top 3 cruise lines in order are Disney,( not to Alaska) Holland America, and Princess. I have also cruised Carnival and Norwegian but not to Alaska.

We were on the 8/4 Eurodam sailing, which had a very age diverse crowd with lots of multiple generation families. The Queens Lounge featured B.B. King followed by a late night DJ with the bar rumored to have stayed open until 5 am Thursday evening (after Ketchikan port day.) We were definitely not up that late but found the ship to be very alive after midnight most nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums