Eurodam in the News

IRL_Joanie

Yahoo News Headline: "For crew of 2,100-passenger cruise ship, frenetic ‘turnaround day’ in Seattle starts and ends the journey"

QUOTE: "It may be a leisurely 7-day vacation cruise for passengers, but for the staff it begins with a race to load 147,500 pounds of fresh produce, 35,000 eggs and more, while cleaning hundreds of rooms and properly delivering 8,000 pieces of luggage." UNQUOTE

FULL STORY HERE https://www.seattletimes.com/business/cruise-turnaround-feature/

Joanie

We were on her in May to Alaska, we loved everything about the cruise and the Eurodam.

Our favorite “Dam” ship and great crew. Captain Scott renewed our 25th Anniversary vows in 98. Thx for the article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The logistics of provisioning cruise ships and the organization of turn around day has fascinated me since I boarded my first cruise ship years ago. It seems a real work of precision efficiency from start to finish.

Thanks for the article Joanie. Hope you are well. :)

The logistics of provisioning cruise ships and the organization of turn around day has fascinated me since I boarded my first cruise ship years ago. It seems a real work of precision efficiency from start to finish.

Agree... always reminds me of a very well choreographed (and somewhat chaotic) flurry of activity required to get everything done prior to sailing.

I enjoy watching all the activity on the pier, loading groceries, luggage, etc., and am amazed at how skilled they all are in what they do.

Interesting article, thank you for posting, Joanie!:) We haven't sailed out of Seattle before and we're looking forward to sailing on Zaandam a week from tomorrow! It seems that boarding starts at 1, unlike Fort Lauderdale, where you can board around 11. We plan to be early! There are a lot of people to board in 2 hours. I don't know how they do it...

Thanks for interesting link. I did not know that longshoremen came aboard to lade, thought HAL staff handled everything once it was off the dock.

$300,000 worth of provisions for 2100 passengers for one week works out to just $20.41 per passenger per day. Assuming that much of that $20.41 is for booze, beer, and sodas and some of it is for dry goods and some for the crew, the amount spent on passenger food must be pretty darn low, $10 per day, maybe? Less?

HAL hires a company of extremely experienced port, terminal workers to manage embarkattion, debark and all that involves

I may be wrong so please correct me if you wish but i think the name of this company is inter ruises or something like that.

They work for many cruise lilnes in lots of ports. They do not do this work for only HAL Many of these staffers have done this work for years and often work as a team. .

Edited by sail7seas

I am thinking that the cruise company hires part-time assistance for the turn-around days. Is this true?

Don’t believe so the staff and crew have the turn-around process to a “T”. With that said HAL changes many years ago has made it more difficult on the cabin stewards, increasing the number of cabins/steward plus pushing to make them available upon embarkation. Also allowing passengers to remain in their cabin until their number is called doesn’t help the crew. Their time to prepare cabins is probably around 2 hours, and that’s after transporting luggage throughout the evening, tough day with little sleep. Other crew are cleaning, restocking, and other tasks. With all that said they make it happen smiling all the time! In the case of the Eurodam they have 13 perfect health inspections in a row, that’s amazing!

As Sail says they do have shore help in assisting the Embarkation and Debarkation process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting article, thank you for posting, Joanie!:) We haven't sailed out of Seattle before and we're looking forward to sailing on Zaandam a week from tomorrow! It seems that boarding starts at 1, unlike Fort Lauderdale, where you can board around 11. We plan to be early! There are a lot of people to board in 2 hours. I don't know how they do it...

You will notice in the article it states, "......all 1,052 rooms must be cleaned and sanitized before the first guests arrive at 11:30."

We have sailed out of Seattle quite a few times including a few times from pier 91.

We get there by 10:30. I don't have my own wheelchair. So after we are dropped off, my husband leaves me with all the luggage and goes and gets help -- wheelchair for me and someone to help us with all our luggage.

Inside pier 91 we take an elevator up to the second level where we check in.

Embarkation starts around 11:30.