Has anyone been really impressed with Chops lately?

I agree. Passengers should not be comparing land based steak houses to cruise ship steak houses at all.

Chops used to be just as good as most land based steak houses. Besides, did I miss that rule somewhere?

The biggest reason we won't eat dinner at Chops anymore is the menu revamp where they removed the cheese and onion soup, we LOVED it! That was a major misstep on their part, and now the dinner menu bears a minuscule difference to what they offer on the lunch menu. So now we only do Chops for lunch if it's at a steep discount ($17ish is fine for what they serve).

Did I have an uncharacteristically poor experience? What have others experienced lately?

Absolutely no. Resounding no. We've been twice in out last two cruises (one in each). The meat was sub par, the service was "meh" and the sides were nothing to write home about. Most definitely *not* worth the cover charge.

the only time i ate there i had whatever they call it with the small steak and lobster. my steak was delicious the lobster undercooked and by the time i got it most of our party had finished eating or I would have taken the time to send it back

the free lobster we got in the MDR or used to, not sure if they still serve it was at least cooked, this was mushy.

Chops on Liberty in February was excellent, went as part of FNDR steaks cooked perfectly sides very good(don't do the crab cakes anymore because they're are meh) , wanted to go in August but was outvoted fior Giovanni's on Oasis.

Will do Chops again but unsure if it would be ahead of other specialty.

I'm guessing a good number of the folks saying Chops is excellent are the same that go batty for the rather insipid and underwhelming "fresh" roast beef sandwiches at the Garden Cafe?

Nope I like my steak but not a sandwich guy, never been impressed with the kimmelweck and am not afraid to send something back or comment when something is not good

We had a very good dinner at Chop's on Anthem last month. Filets were done to perfection. But i was very disappointed that they served the same tired and uninspiring Caesar salad that is served in the dining room. This was the first time they didn't offer the Hearts of Romaine Caesar salad.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

I'm guessing a good number of the folks saying Chops is excellent are the same that go batty for the rather insipid and underwhelming "fresh" roast beef sandwiches at the Garden Cafe?

More likely they never ate at Chops when it was really good so they can't compare it to what it originally was (and at a lower cost).

We didn't have a particularly good or wait staff on Oasis in 2015. We had exceptional service and food on Freedom this year. Hit or miss. We'll try it again on Rhapsody and see.

(Tongue in cheek, as a Bengals fan)....they may have known you were a Steelers fan.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We ate at Chops 3 times on Rhapsody in April 18. The service was outstanding. It was quiet, well paced, friendly, and efficient.

The steaks are not Ruth Chris- but they are quite good, and we go to get out of the mad rushing of the wait staff, the noise of the room, of the MDR. The sides aren’t as large as they used to be, but they are good. It’s the ambiance of Chops and Giovanni’s that we truly enjoy.

We just got off EOS Friday and had 2 excellent experiences at Chops! Both lunch and dinner had great fresh hot food and excellent crab cakes and filet’s. Their breakfast disappoints as the hash browns are horrendous! Other wise the lunch and dinner we had were excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was impressed with Chops when we ate there on the Liberty of the Seas last year. Here's the thing: We ate there for lunch. I am not particularly impressed with the lunch options onboard, and I do very much like the MDR at dinner. Chops is also considerably cheaper at lunch. That's actually my plan for my next cruise- to eat there again at lunch one day.

Of all the groups I’m a part of on the internet and Facebook , Cruise Critic members give the worse reviews of Chops Grille! Like it’s the worst thing ever! The people who eat there now enjoy it and don’t really care how it was years ago. And dang it wasn’t going to stay $20 forever!

Tuna Tartare amazing, Jumbo shrimp cocktail very good and the Filet Mignion ok. The sauces are not fresh and all taste the same only have different colour. As an example a real Bernaise sauce needs to be prepared on the spot and not kept warm alll evening. The truffle fries are a mass product, for such a Restaurant you would expect the fries to be freshly hand cut and not from the freezer. The dessert, molten chocolate cake was dry inside out, absolutely disapointing.

Hence to sum it up, the starters especially the tuna tartare amazing for the rest absolutely not worth it. Btw, had the shrimps one night as main course, not good at all, at Giovanni's though very good

Of all the groups I’m a part of on the internet and Facebook , Cruise Critic members give the worse reviews of Chops Grille! Like it’s the worst thing ever! The people who eat there now enjoy it and don’t really care how it was years ago. And dang it wasn’t going to stay $20 forever!

So, you are okay with the price going up and quality going down? Well, alrighty then.