NYC Subway/Bus Pass

Billzilla66

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just try figure out how many times I'll be on the subway and calculate what to put on the card.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You can always add money as you go. Better than leaving money on the card unless you plan to use it again before it expires.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just try figure out how many times I'll be on the subway and calculate what to put on the card.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Or you can just give it away after your last ride. That is what I do,. I always get a 7 day card and usually someone gets a card with a few days left when I'm done with it. In the grand scheme of things $30 or so to me is not a big deal and by giving someone a few days free might give me some good karma later down the line. :D

A further note; on some bus routes there are "Select Buses". For these you pay outside at the bus stop with your metro card. Riding without paying will cost a $100 fine ... when checked by transit security. Also there is a machine at these stops that accepts the fare in coins and prints a ticket for you.

A further note; on some bus routes there are "Select Buses". For these, you pay outside at the bus stop with your metro card. Riding without paying will cost a $100 fine ... when checked by transit security. Also, there is a machine at these stops that accepts the fare in coins and prints a ticket for you.

SBS or Select Bus Routes are clearly marked with "SBS" M34SBS. There will be three machines at the stop. Two are for only reading a MetroCard and dispensing a ride ticket. The third smaller one takes coins only and will dispense a ride ticket.

Please remember to press the silver button BEFORE inserting your card, the screens are not touch sensitive, you can board an SBS bus from any door.

Do not just consider Money when debating 7 day or pay per ride, the freedom to transfer without a time limit or doing a transfer out of the system from one subway to another with an unlimited card is great especially when there are service delays.

Apologies if some of this information is redundant. If you are going to be using the bus and subway a lot for 3 days or more, just get the 7 days pass and don't spend any more time thinking about it. If you are only using 1-2 days, you probably just want to put some money on a card. Transfers are free (subway to subway in station, bus to bus or between subway and bus, generally, as long as you don't transfer from the northbound bus to the southbound bus on the same route number) so you don't need to calculate accordingly.

Walking is also a great way to get around and really see more of the city. As a tourist, assuming no mobility issues, plan on walking up to 30 blocks from time to time rather than spending the same amount of time on a bus or getting on or off subways. You will get a better experience.

If you go the route of a card and adding money, be aware they add 5% bonus when you put $5.50 or more on the card. Add $20 and $21 appears in your balance. Also, the first time it adds $1 for the card itself.

So if you want to have a card for 6 rides: 2.75 x 6 = 16.50. Place $15.75 on the card and you get $16.53. Plus $1 to buy the card and you will spend $16.75 total.

Also, important: Buying cards for more than one person? Your credit card will likely decline a duplicate purchase. Use different cards, or cash, but don't use any one card more than once in a short time window.

• 5 weeks later...

We were told by a transit worker that you can use the same credit card 2x in the same day but after that it will be declined. We added what we thought we would need and still had a few dollars left on it so we gave it to a young woman with children that we saw exiting the station.

We were told by a transit worker that you can use the same credit card 2x in the same day but after that it will be declined. We added what we thought we would need and still had a few dollars left on it so we gave it to a young woman with children that we saw exiting the station.

Credit card or Metrocard? I hope you didn't give your credit card away. :D:D:)

MetroCard Vending Machines are still swipe only, no chip and you have to enter your billing code for verification. I don't know how they handle non-US accounts.

It was nice you "Paid it forward" with a balance on your MetroCard. Money left on an expired MetroCard can be transferred to a new card up to a year after expiration at any staffed booth. During the 2nd year after expiration, you have to mail in the card and the Station Agent can give you a postage paid envelope to do that. They will take a $1 off for the new card they mail you.

NYC no longer has a daily unlimited MettroCard only 7 / 30 days or 7 day express bus Metrocard.