Peggy's Cove Excursion

Mikalen

We will be in Halifax on 9/28 and are interested in a Peggy's Cove excursion that is not through the ship. Can anyone recommend a good tour company? I have looked at so many and just not sure which one to book. Would love some recommendations. We are not looking for a 7 hour tour, just up to Peggy's Cove

Look for me on Trip Advisor for Nova Scotia (same username) and send me a personal message. Be sure to give me your email address and I will send you some notes I have gathered over the past few years about taxis and private operators.

Also look at this document. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BjAtDscML-9Ce3VWUUsOrsVhPL7KIxb7Go_9SRi82dE/edit

I agree to just visit Peggy's Cove and see the interesting and quaint village to approach it thru.

I do not suggest an meal at the Sou Wester Restaurant. We were suppose to have a Lobster Lunch and was

deeply disappointed with it.

Yes they have a cute and full Gift Shop you may be interested to view.

Our day, Peggy's Cove is a very busy location..

BTW......Watch your footing around the rocks and boulders around the Lighthouse.

Where did you find a car for that? We find nothing less than $100 plus taxes and fees.

I’m also renting a car. I took advantage of Royal Caribbean’s offer ( for Crown &Anchor members) and got a Hertz for around $35. I had also priced them directly through the rental agencies and prices ranged from $65-120. If you’re sailing through RC, it’s well worth it.

this is only moderately helpful but on my trip to st john and halifax i used 2 different companies. i forget which site was which city though but the hertz office was across from the ship and was very cheap. 30 or 40 and the other one i used enterprise and it was about a 20 min walk through town to get there but they were 2 minutes to get me a car. hertz i waited a long time but it was dirt cheap. guy operated out of basically a closet. only 2 people could get in at once.

edit: found my review online:

HALIFAX:

With a 10 am arrival there is really no need to set an alarm unless you want to watch the docking. Hertz is literally across the street from the ship and was half the price of all the other car rental places (I think we paid 35 USD and the others were up over 70). However we found out why hertz is cheaper. Their office is literally a closet in the building across from the ship. You could probably extend your arms and touch both sides of the office. Only 2 people can stand at the desk and in the office at one time and the guy that works there is very slow to type stuff in the computer and he likes to chat. So while everyone is out in the lobby waiting it’s a bit frustrating. So be forewarned. I think it was almost half an hour in there vs 3 minutes at enterprise the previous day.

SAINT JOHN

Due to tides you have weird times to arrive/depart. We got there at 5 and the car rental didn’t open until 8. We had a muffin at the international café and walked a few blocks to enterprise. This walk is doable for most people. It’s a moderate hill and very safe and about 10 or 15 minutes at a very slow pace. I think it took 2 or 3 minutes on an ipad until we were keys in hand and driving away. super-efficient. I believe it was about 65 USD. One word of warning. When you go to get gas do NOT hit ‘fill up’ on your gas pump when you prepay. It will hit you will a 150 or 200 dollar preauth that ties up your CC for days.

• 2 weeks later...
Where did you find the offer from RCCL. That’s a good rate, we are D+ So I’d love to rent a car. I never knew you could thru them

If you look at the rewards for various C & A levels, they show benefits for land issues too, not just at sea. It’s offered through Hertz, and the office is right across the street from the pier.

We did the New England/Canada cruise in Sept/Oct 2014. We used Andy Smith’s Tattle Tours (Private). In 2014 it was $360 CDN/van (there was room for 6 of us). Begins, 9:00 AM, 5 to 5 1⁄2 hr. Peggy's Cove-Halifax Van Tour typically includessightseeing out to the very scenic Peggy's Cove area as well as through Halifax's historicdowntown area. Peggy's Cove is a traditional fishing village and the surrounding area isvery unusual geologically; offering stunning vistas of million year old rock formations.Along the way, you will learn about many important events in Canadian, North Americanand local history (Halifax's Titanic connection, the infamous explosion of 1917, etc.), aswell as odd facts and lots of local gossip. We visited Halifax's Fairview('Titanic') Cemetery where 120 Titanic passengers and crew lay buried. This tour istypically roughly 5-1/2 hours in duration. We booked directly with him, though he is available through some other organization I think. He was less expensive directly. He did an OK job, though we (the tour organizers) wanted a nice lobster lunch but one of the people on the tour didn't like lobster so we went to another place where the lobster wasn't the specialty. I still don't know why we couldn't have gone to a great lobster place that also served something else. It was a major disappointment since food is one of our hobbies.