ISO best conch fritters,key lime pie, and unique cocktails

islandchick

Can't help with the conch fritters nor the unique drinks (I'm a simple drink kind of guy) but Blue Heaven has the best key lime pie, and one of the only places that put meringue on it (I don't care what anyone says, whipped cream does not belong on key lime pie). They do make good drinks there too.

Key Lime martinis at the White Tarpon, a small bar between Alonzo's Oyster Bar and the Boathouse at the Bight. And while not unique there's a great make-your-own Bloody Mary bar at the Blue Macaw at the corner of Whitehead and Petronia. You can also taste both the white and dark rum for free at the Papa's Pilar rum distillery.

Pjk

I think the best conch fritters are at a stand next to the entrance to the Key West Aquarium right in the area where the ships dock, or you are dropped off if docking at the Outer Mole Pier.

My favorite Key Lime Pie is at Kermit’s. I think Blue Heaven’s is too sweet and I don’t like the meringue topping. I prefer the whipped cream topping at Kermit’s.

There are dozens of bars here. Just pop in to places that look interesting to you or have live music you like. There are no cover charges, so if you don’t like the place you can move onto the next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We loved the key lime pie at Pepe’s. It is off the beaten path a bit, but well worth the extra 4-5 blocks of walking. They have been around for over 100 years and the pie is homemade and super yummy.

As for drinks, we came across a great drinks at Tiki House. I love Moscow miles and theirs is made with homemade ginger beer!

• 4 weeks later...

As a long-time visitor to Key West I think I've tried your requested food and drink options just about everywhere in town (!) and these days my favorite for conch fritters, interesting drinks and better than average Key Lime Pie is Two Friends on Front Street. If you've lucky enough to be in KW on a Tuesday, you will will also get to hear the amazing Ericson Holt on electric piano from 3 until 7. (he plays other places around town too, but in the evenings; sometimes does a "blues breakfast" at Two Friends on certain Sundays). Ericson is a world class player and singer doing New Orleans-style blues and jazz, originals and covers. Just a fabulous musician - and I'm pretty picky! - also a great guy, very engaging and friendly. If you tire of the myriad single guitar players banging out Wagon Wheel and Sweet Caroline, check out Ericson! I know this is not in your original question but there is no better way to wrap up a day in KW before getting back on the ship than hanging at Two Friends when Ericson is playing! But also agree with previous post - the Key Lime pie at Blue Heaven is sublime!

• Thanks 1