Tip Porters?

Beachlover1989

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, so I apologize. Is one expected to tip the porters who take your bags at check in at the port? Thank you! Lisa

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, good idea if you want to ever see your bags again.

Our experience with the porter for our last Celebrity cruise was a real turnoff. Before we even finished dropping off the luggages, the big guy held his hand out said "Time to pay up now!" We were taken aback and we should have reported his behavior to guest services but we totally forgot about it until we got home. Yes, we always tip and quite generously, but having someone demand it from you in that manner was totally unacceptable.

Our experience with the porter for our last Celebrity cruise was a real turnoff. Before we even finished dropping off the luggages, the big guy held his hand out said "Time to pay up now!" We were taken aback and we should have reported his behavior to guest services but we totally forgot about it until we got home. Yes, we always tip and quite generously, but having someone demand it from you in that manner was totally unacceptable.
Reporting him to guest services would have been a waste of your time, as the porters don't work for the cruise line.
  • Like 1

I did not know, and if the boarding is in Vancouver, BC?

Considering that the port puts up signs specifically saying that there is no need to tip, anything you give them is a true 'over and above' rather than an expectation. Everyone you see is unionised, very well paid, and would mostly rather take easy work with suitcases even if there were not a whole bunch of cash tips getting handed over regardless of signage. Plus, in Vancouver you can walk right up to the indoor conveyor belt that feeds your ship with suitcases - the guy is literally picking up your suitcase from the ground (or your hand) and placing it on a ~waist high belt, so even if he wanted to 'accidentally' drop it into the water there's no way he can.

If you choose to hand your bags over to the guys roaming around the bus/taxi pull-ins with cages, then you add the risk of it going to the wrong conveyor and then the wrong ship - whether through malice or error - so you may be one of the folks who feels a few bucks is worth it to ensure no 'accidental' screwups. Personally I'd rather just keep 100% control over my bag until it gets to the conveyor so there is zero risk instead of a teeny-tiny risk...

Considering that the port puts up signs specifically saying that there is no need to tip, anything you give them is a true 'over and above' rather than an expectation. Everyone you see is unionised, very well paid, and would mostly rather take easy work with suitcases even if there were not a whole bunch of cash tips getting handed over regardless of signage. Plus, in Vancouver you can walk right up to the indoor conveyor belt that feeds your ship with suitcases - the guy is literally picking up your suitcase from the ground (or your hand) and placing it on a ~waist high belt, so even if he wanted to 'accidentally' drop it into the water there's no way he can.

If you choose to hand your bags over to the guys roaming around the bus/taxi pull-ins with cages, then you add the risk of it going to the wrong conveyor and then the wrong ship - whether through malice or error - so you may be one of the folks who feels a few bucks is worth it to ensure no 'accidental' screwups. Personally I'd rather just keep 100% control over my bag until it gets to the conveyor so there is zero risk instead of a teeny-tiny risk...

We were at Miami port and got out of a taxi. He simply took it from us and dropped onto the conveyor belt. Is there a later point that we could have dropped off ourselves?

I know sometimes people have some mixed reactions about the porters but I have to say that we have found the porters to be very helpful not only in dropping off our bags but also when we have gotten off the ships and needed assistance to take our bags outside to meet either private vehicles or taxis. On occasions porters have stood with us for 10 or 15 minutes and/or navigated sidewalks and streets and placed the luggage in the vehicle and stood there until we were driven off. We will tip them more when they assist us on disembarkation day particularly if it involves more time and getting out to the vehicle as I mentioned.

Keith

We did (and saw others tip) in Southampton....I don’t know if there are port specific rules. We just see a small tip as a much appreciated ‘thankyou’...

I would always tip in Southampton, baggage is collected from taxi leaving us free to check in.

Dropping off your luggage, I was told the porters (at least in the U.S.) work for the Port and make a healthy hourly wage + overtime on weekends. Tip them if you feel inclined. The ones I take care of are on disembarkation where they help gather your luggage, steer you thru the shortest customs/immigration lines, and assist in getting you and your luggage to the whatever transportation you have waiting for you whether it be taxi line or a particular shuttle service.