Cab in Brooklyn

Coupe

As a general rule, yellow NYC metered taxi do not cruise or hangout at Red Hook's BCT ... you might see green taxi (outside of Manhattan, in the other 4 boroughs or counties) coming by - odds are that they are occupied & if lucky, dropping off someone, otherwise - usually radio dispatched)

See this recent post by Turtles06 of a recent experinece, less than a handful of taxis there with 50 people waiting - Post #3 - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2677530

Legends Car Service, based in nearby Park Slope, Brooklyn area is what they called & used - 718-788-1234

OP has now a choice of 4 car services to choose from, call & for backup.

As a general rule, yellow NYC metered taxi do not cruise or hangout at Red Hook's BCT ... you might see green taxi (outside of Manhattan, in the other 4 boroughs or counties) coming by - odds are that they are occupied & if lucky, dropping off someone, otherwise - usually radio dispatched)

See this recent post by Turtles06 of a recent experinece, less than a handful of taxis there with 50 people waiting - Post #3 - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2677530

Legends Car Service, based in nearby Park Slope, Brooklyn area is what they called & used - 718-788-1234

OP has now a choice of 4 car services to choose from, call & for backup.

I wouldn't cite Turtles06's experience as being the norm for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal because that cruise was not scheduled to dock in Brooklyn but was moved there after Carnival Horizon damaged Pier 89 in Manhattan. There were likely few taxis because a ship wasn't expected in Brooklyn on that day. I'd like to hear the experience of cruisers on ships that were scheduled to dock in Brooklyn like the QM2 or various Princess ships before concluding that there will be almost no taxis at the cruise terminal.

My experience from today on the Royal I think would qualify. The destination expert even stated this in her talk. That is why I got the bus transfer. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So was your personal observation that there were few taxis there? The reason that I ask is that the "destination expert" has a less-than-unbiased agenda. They're trying to sell you the Princess product. I would be very skeptical about what they say about anything. But seeing it with your own eyes would be another story altogether.

As the thread in #2 I saw with my own eyes today and previously heard this from the destination expert who in my opinion never tried to sell Princess excursions. As a matter of fact she spent most of her time on places where Princess had no excursions. I never thought she was trying to sell anything. I never physically attended any but rather watched all on TV so I didn’t hear every question. I never had the impression she was trying to “sell” anything but was very objective but obviously contained personal opinion as would anyone talking about a destination. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with njhorseman that my recent dreadful experience trying to get a cab at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is probably not a good basis on which to judge, since our ship wasn’t supposed to be there. (I think someone really dropped the ball in failing to get the word out.)

At the thread linked below, hlitner reports no problem getting a cab there two days ago when he got off the Regal Princess, as the passenger waiting line was very short.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=57113389&postcount=18

I will add, though, that getting into and out of the Brooklyn cruise terminal seemed to be a maze of narrow, one way streets choked with gridlocked traffic even worse than in Manhattan. Maybe cabs don’t won’t that hassle...

• 1 month later...