Excursion of Pompeii

Cruzer Two

I wasn't aware that the bronze sculptures of Igor Mitoraj were still on display in Pompeii. I saw them when I was last there (June 2016) but thought they were only on display for a limited time.

They fit strangely well into the setting of Pompeii despite being modern.

I wasn't aware that the bronze sculptures of Igor Mitoraj were still on display in Pompeii. I saw them when I was last there (June 2016) but thought they were only on display for a limited time.

They fit strangely well into the setting of Pompeii despite being modern.

Yes, they do fit well. This is one in front of the Temple of Concord in the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento, Sicily as well and it looks like it belongs there.

Ron

We are cruising this June and have booked an excursion to pomeii that doesn't include the tickets. She has told me we can purchase them there. I would like to pre purchase them to save us some time as we are a group of 18. Did you purchase the prior to going, and if so, which site did you purchase them through? Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Amy

We are cruising this June and have booked an excursion to pomeii that doesn't include the tickets. She has told me we can purchase them there. I would like to pre purchase them to save us some time as we are a group of 18. Did you purchase the prior to going, and if so, which site did you purchase them through? Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Amy

Amy, we visited Pompeii with our tour company and tickets were included, but our guide purchased the tickets at the ticket booth after we arrived at the site. Not sure you can purchase online in advance, but not sure there is any advantage to purchasing them in advance. Enjoy your visit to this wonderful site!

Ron

Thanks,

Amy

This is the official website, if you want to purchase tickets in advance:

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?idSezione=6786

I've always purchased mine at the gate; it has never been a long wait -- but then I tend to visit off-season.

There are three entrances, so it doesn't get too bad.

There is not much advantage to advance purchase...other then perhaps saving 1 or 2 minutes when you arrive at the ticket booth. On the other hand, if you purchase in advance and the weather happens to be awful (such as rain) you will likely have wasted your money.

For those that go to the ruins on their own (DIY) you can join an English Speaking (or several other languages) tour at the entrance for 10€ per person. An Audio Guide (with map) is also a great option...and actually will give you a chance to see more of the ruins at your own pace.

Hank

My husband and I were in Italy on our own several years ago. At Pompeii we opted to sign up for the English tour. According to the sign on premise, tours are given for groups of 8 - 10. There were already 6 folks waiting, so everyone thought that with 8 of us, we could begin the tour. However the guide refused to leave until he had two more customers. Apparently the other six had already been waiting quite a while. They decided to abort the whole thing and headed for the audio-self-tour booth. Our guide suddenly had an epiphany, rushed to catch up with the departing tourists, herded everyone together and began the tour. Good thing too, as he was great and we would have missed so much without a guide.

Amy, we visited Pompeii with our tour company and tickets were included, but our guide purchased the tickets at the ticket booth after we arrived at the site. Not sure you can purchase online in advance, but not sure there is any advantage to purchasing them in advance. Enjoy your visit to this wonderful site!

Ron

I wish I would've seen your response earlier! I booked the Pompeii tickets through Ticketone and after printing realized I booked them on the wrong day!!! I immediately emailed them and received a automated response saying all sales are final. Ugh...I pride myself on being very thorough so this has fried me! I am hoping when we arrive they allow us to do an even exchange for the tickets I have for the next day?! If not I will just purchase again an eat my mistake!

Thanks,

Amy