Butler Service

PenyFan1960

In a couple of weeks time my Wife & I will be off on the Q.V. in a QG Penthouse.

My question is, laying aside what I might read in literature received, what sort of service will we really expect to receive?

I quite realise that this could vary in a little detail from Butler to Butler but there must be basic services which he or she would undertake. I assume the Butler would have an Assistant for the more mundane tasks.

We would not wish to cause any embarrassment by asking the Butler to undertake a task outside his remit.

What does your Butler do at home?

Seriously, when we've stayed in a suite and had the services of a Butler we have had very little to no use out of them.

Others will throw cocktail parties, maybe ask them to unpack or pack, book speciality restaurants.

What did you have in mind?

What does your Butler do at home?

Seriously, when we've stayed in a suite and had the services of a Butler we have had very little to no use out of them.

Others will throw cocktail parties, maybe ask them to unpack or pack, book speciality restaurants.

What did you have in mind?

Thanks for your response and as examples, I would expect my Butler to clean our shoes and keep suits/trousers in good shape and attend to our laundry etc.

Keep the drinks & fridge stocked without asking.

And of course reserve seats at the theatre & speciality restaurants.

Oversee that the cabin is always in a state of perfection.

Am sure there are lots of other tasks would come to mind once on the cruise.

But of course a Butler should anticipate duties without asking.

The butler doesn't organise theatre or speciality restaurants, that's the job of the concierge, who will also send any invitations should you wish to hold a cocktail party. The concierge desk is located in the Grills Lounge and times that it's manned are published. (On QM2 there is a Concierge Lounge.)

Few people ask the butler to unpack. The butler will organise your drinks and snack and canapes, and if you have a party, will provide extra nibbles etc. and pour drinks if asked.

If you want tea/coffee of breakfast in your room, it will be the butler who delivers it, same for lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.

They will deal with your laundry and bring back and hang the shirts, trousers dresses etc..

The butler and the assistant usually make up the room together.

As my shoes have never got dirty on board I have never asked them to clean them, rather just polish them up myself.

Stewart

Thanks for your response and as examples, I would expect my Butler to clean our shoes and keep suits/trousers in good shape and attend to our laundry etc.

Keep the drinks & fridge stocked without asking.

And of course reserve seats at the theatre & speciality restaurants.

Oversee that the cabin is always in a state of perfection.

Am sure there are lots of other tasks would come to mind once on the cruise.

But of course a Butler should anticipate duties without asking.

I fear you are going to be disappointed.........

Couldn't have said it any better Big Mac. As for the polishing shoes, what era is the OP living in . :')

When a was a boy/lad I wore trainers, but when I grew up I caste aside such boyish things and started to wear proper shoes.

To keep my Jermyn St shoes in good shape I like to apply the occasional polish and I have this in mind after going ashore on cruises.

But each to his own!

Couldn't have said it any better Big Mac. As for the polishing shoes, what era is the OP living in . :')

Actually the butlers on Silversea (every cabin gets one) polish your shoes without asking every formal night.

Honestly, some people hear the word butler and think they will be transported into the world of Downton Abbey. A butler on a ship is a totally different animal. Nice to have but totally dispensable imo.

In a couple of weeks time my Wife & I will be off on the Q.V. in a QG Penthouse.

My question is, laying aside what I might read in literature received, what sort of service will we really expect to receive?

I quite realise that this could vary in a little detail from Butler to Butler but there must be basic services which he or she would undertake. I assume the Butler would have an Assistant for the more mundane tasks.

We would not wish to cause any embarrassment by asking the Butler to undertake a task outside his remit.

As you say, butlers vary, but there is no harm in asking for whatever you think is reasonable. I have had a butler serving a Q1 with less initiative than one in a Q5 - they all vary. The new idea of a separate butler access to a Q1 on QV is a brilliant idea.

My key card wouldn't work once - the butler let me in and then went down to reception and got me a new card (all without asking). Frankly there should be no problem in him/her getting your shoes polished - just what one would expect in a good good hotel.

Have fun.

From Cunard’s FAQ:

‘Simply ask your stateroom steward / butler who will take your shoes away and return them shined.

This service is complimentary to all guests.’

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When a was a boy/lad I wore trainers, but when I grew up I caste aside such boyish things and started to wear proper shoes.

To keep my Jermyn St shoes in good shape I like to apply the occasional polish and I have this in mind after going ashore on cruises.

But each to his own!

Couldn't agree more I take care of my Gucci shoes too, but wouldn't dream of asking anyone to polish em for me ;)

From Cunard’s FAQ:

‘Simply ask your stateroom steward / butler who will take your shoes away and return them shined.

This service is complimentary to all guests.’

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And I bet many of us have never even bothered.

One of our QG butlers enjoyed having some fun with my stuffed Cunard bear, Sammy. I would come back to the room and Sammy was reading, wearing sunglasses getting a tan, snacking, watching TV, etc. :D:D

One day I decided to have some fun too and left him for the butler to find, face down with his little paw clutching a bottle of whiskey...

We've sailed in QG on QM2 twice and of course had butlers both times. Big contrast. The first was basically a cabin steward in a fancy uniform, providing nothing more than the cabin stewards in Britannia Class, who, IMHO, do a fine job. But the second had a very different and professional approach to ensuring that we were receiving stateroom service that we wanted and needed. We took advantage to use him for rapidly receiving our continental breakfasts en suite right when we phoned him, even when it was late in the morning. We've had butler service on Azamara and Oceania as well, and again, the experience was mixed. I think the whole concept is overrated.

On our first crossing in QUEEN MARY 2, Queens Grill, we had a butler. It was a major shrug of the shoulder, "big whoop" as far we were concerned. Oh and I do like my shoes cleaned and in the old days there was no "big deal" attached to this simple service... in any class of service... you just left your shoes outside your cabin door in the evening and "boots" returned them beautifully polished the next morning. All this butler stuff seems just a lot of nonsense to me... a really good cabin steward and stewardess is what really counts. Ditch the butlers and cut the number of cabins the stewards and stewardesses have to work and get back to the basics of good, useful service c. 1965. But it won't happen as it one of the "perks" Cunard feel compelled to offer to justify the jawdropping rates for QG vs PG.