Average age on Oceania Cruises

Chrissi3010

We also have to keep in mind that age is a state of mind in many instances. I know some 80-somethings who are still young and some 50 -somethings who are really old. In my experience, I've found the mindset of many travelers on Oceania to be much younger than their calendar indicated ages.

We also have to keep in mind that age is a state of mind in many instances. I know some 80-somethings who are still young and some 50 -somethings who are really old. In my experience, I've found the mindset of many travelers on Oceania to be much younger than their calendar indicated ages.

Always nice to have conversations more interesting than "how 'bout them 'niners?".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First of all I hope to make it to 80 given I was told I had 2 years to live 10 yrs ago after being diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, however, we have been on 5 Oceania cruises I have never met any 80 somethings that acted younger than any 50 somethings that we know. We are mid 50's. Now when and if I get to 80 then I will probably say that age isn't anything but a number as well (smiles).

It's true that I am now among the older cruisers, but age has never meant much to me. As a young child -- I was maybe 12,my sister 10 -- we liked to visit a neighbor who had long been widowed. To me she looked like she was in her 90s. Maybe she was only in her 80s. But we loved talking to her, hearing her talk about her long dead husband, look at all her curios in her apartment.

On one of our Renaissance cruises we had dinner with a young couple -- this was probably our first of three. They were in their late 30s, we were in our 40s (well, I was anyway). We had gathered in looking around at the boat drill attendees that the average age seemed to be in the 70s.

So I asked this young couple how they felt about the cruise in terms of their obvious youth. They said they'd been taken aback upon boarding to see four (4!) wheelchairs being taken on board, but they were enjoying the cruise.

On our various cruises, when younger we enjoyed talking to older folks, and now that WE are those older folks, we enjoy talking to younger passengers.

The fact is: this question cannot be answered because age often depends on itinerary and time of year. If you're on a longer cruise (I'm far from the first to say this), you're likely to have an older average age. If it's holiday time in the Caribbean, it should run younger.

It really doesn't matter IMO. You make what you will of your vacation. If you are younger and take time to talk to older passengers, you may be surprised.

Mura

We are thinking about booking an Oceania Cruise (Canada/New England on the Insignia). We read a lot of reviews saying that the average age of the cruisers is very high, mostly retired people. Is that your experience, too? And are we probably too young for that ship with 50? We wanted to book the cruise for the size of the ship and the wonderful itinary during the Indian Summer and usually do self-guided and self-organized shore excursions...thanks in advance for your advice.

Christine

On our recent Riviera trip, we found the average age to be 70ish. We're mid 50's/early 60's. We felt quite at home. We prefer a more sedate quiet crowd. This is a reason we'd never be on Carnival or the really big ships from NCL/RCCL.

Edited by keithm
additions

As long as one avoids Oceania shore tours I’m not sure it matters much. Wonderful conversations and experiences expressed and learned across a multitude of decades enhances the experience.

However, when one is so unlucky to get placed on a shore cruise with late 70 or 80 something that believes they are still a 50 something, things can go downhill quickly. Don’t sign up for O shore tours and the odds of age issues affecting one’s cruise diminish dramatically. Rather simple actually.

As long as one avoids Oceania shore tours I’m not sure it matters much. Wonderful conversations and experiences expressed and learned across a multitude of decades enhances the experience.

However, when one is so unlucky to get placed on a shore cruise with late 70 or 80 something that believes they are still a 50 something, things can go downhill quickly. Don’t sign up for O shore tours and the odds of age issues affecting one’s cruise diminish dramatically. Rather simple actually.

Age and fitness are not necessarily aligned. I know plenty of cruisers you eschew who are more fit than some in their 60 s. Stereotype all you want. The shoe does not always fit

Do people actually go around asking the passengers their age??

Some people may look older or younger than their actual age

Our friend had a stroke at 47 he spent 2 yrs in the hospital relearning how to walk & talk again... he returned to work & was able to drive a car again

he is now 68 & wheelchair bound but they enjoyed travelling

Up until a couple of years ago they were still able to cruise

He used a mobility scooter .. he was able to walk a few steps but it took a lot of effort

It is not always older people who have medical or mobility issues & you never know when you will be on that list

JMO

We most always take the O tours. I guess we've been lucky on our 15 cruises not being inconvenienced by any passengers. We cruise to have fun and see new sights not stress about the small stuff! We are in early 70s and very spry..at least that's what our kids and grandkids tell us.

palakika--

we too often take shorex, sometimes for safety and sometimes because O has snapped up the great guides and safe vehicles.

Many of the very best excursions we've ever been on have been with O--Demos with an archaeologist who had spent 40+ years digging there, same true at Ephesus, and another with an Israeli war vet who was a historian and explained Masada as few others could--don't write off shorex.

Average age on our long Sirena cruise from San Diego to Rio? I can only guess around 65. Now if you take out the three young girls who were accompanying an older man, and who probably were around their thirties, the average age would increase.

We had plenty of good conversations with fellow travelers. I did not have the feeling of people being "sedated". Somebody has used that expression on this thread. Well traveled, interested and fun conversation partners, this is our impression.

Ivi

Thanks for your replies; we very much appreciated them.

As we don't mind a more quite ship due to our stressy jobs and enjoy good food in a nice surrounding, we might give it a try. :-)

And we won't travel during summer holiday time....

my first and only cruise was almost 5 years ago when i was 40. i L O V E D it! i was one of the younger ones but didnt feel at all out of place. there were also a few families.

my mom (75) are going again in august and i cant wait!!

we didnt spend much time on the ship, but when we did we were eating. the food is amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

What is the entertainment like on Oceania? Itinerary is important to us but so is having a bit of night life on the ship in the evening. We looked into Viking (as you can see below have been Celebrity fans) but from everything I read the entertainment is sparse and seems to be focused on people who grew up in the 50s/60s/70s (not that there is anything wrong with that, just not our thing :D).

Looking to try a smaller ship experience and more exotic itineraries now that we are travelling sans children.

What is the entertainment like on Oceania? Itinerary is important to us but so is having a bit of night life on the ship in the evening. We looked into Viking (as you can see below have been Celebrity fans) but from everything I read the entertainment is sparse and seems to be focused on people who grew up in the 50s/60s/70s (not that there is anything wrong with that, just not our thing :D).

Looking to try a smaller ship experience and more exotic itineraries now that we are travelling sans children.

Entertainment is low key

If it is a port intensive cruise it may not be an issue

most upper premium & luxury lines will have an older demographic & cater to their likes

Many Celebrity cruisers finally do the bottom line "net daily rate" math comparison with Oceania and jump ship for O. Once they've experienced the better service and food quality, many never return to Celebrity.

As for the age demographic, the longer cruises (> 2.5 weeks) do attract many baby boomers. But, you will find families with kids in summer and holidays especially to The Med, Alaska, etc. Note too that O is very popular with Alumni travel groups and on their cruises the age span is huge.

That said, IMO, the more critical factor than age is experience. Oceania's passenger base is generally very savvy world travelers who have worked hard for their money and know the quality ROI makes O a true cruising value.

BTW, there is one nightly show. But do recognize that the small size of the ships limit the production capabilities. Quality and variety is good. But, if you want Broadway, book a cruise that sails in/out of NYC.

Many of the very best excursions we've ever been on have been with O--don't write off shorex.

So glad to hear this since we'll be taking at least 36 Oceania shore excursions on our next cruise. We mostly take private excursions, but that will be too cost prohibitive on the next cruise. I've taken many ship tours on other cruiselines and have found all but one tour to be quite good. It's nice to hear someone say nice things about O tours because most posters have negative things to say about them.

I've been known to say nice things about ship's tours, too. Yes, I prefer private tours -- for the usual reasons: cheaper, smaller groups, more customizable. But we've often taken ship's tours (and more so with the advent of oLife tours) and in general they have been very good to excellent. Yes, we've had the occasional loser -- but that can happen with private tours as well.

Mura

Many Celebrity cruisers finally do the bottom line "net daily rate" math comparison with Oceania and jump ship for O. Once they've experienced the better service and food quality, many never return to Celebrity.

As for the age demographic, the longer cruises (> 2.5 weeks) do attract many baby boomers. But, you will find families with kids in summer and holidays especially to The Med, Alaska, etc. Note too that O is very popular with Alumni travel groups and on their cruises the age span is huge.

That said, IMO, the more critical factor than age is experience. Oceania's passenger base is generally very savvy world travelers who have worked hard for their money and know the quality ROI makes O a true cruising value.

BTW, there is one nightly show. But do recognize that the small size of the ships limit the production capabilities. Quality and variety is good. But, if you want Broadway, book a cruise that sails in/out of NYC.

its not necessarily shows that we are looking for, although we do attend them. We like to enjoy live or DJ music we can dance to or just sit and listen.

One thing I note, is some of the average cruise review "scores" on some of the Oceania ships are less than 4 out of 5. Which is usually a bad sign. Wondering if that is higher expectations, due to the higher cost, not being met?

its not necessarily shows that we are looking for, although we do attend them. We like to enjoy live or DJ music we can dance to or just sit and listen.

One thing I note, is some of the average cruise review "scores" on some of the Oceania ships are less than 4 out of 5. Which is usually a bad sign. Wondering if that is higher expectations, due to the higher cost, not being met?

Here in San Francisco, if a new restaurant gets even only 2.5 stars (max 4) review from the Chronicle, their first year success is assured. That said, I still put the most value on how consistent and long lasting are the written reviews from all sources.

I trust that you'll find Oceania fits the bill of most cosmopolitan travelers across the board of experiences. The "stars" (particularly in voter polls) are useless.

I've been known to say nice things about ship's tours, too. Yes, I prefer private tours -- for the usual reasons: cheaper, smaller groups, more customizable. But we've often taken ship's tours (and more so with the advent of oLife tours) and in general they have been very good to excellent. Yes, we've had the occasional loser -- but that can happen with private tours as well.

I prefer private tours too, for the same reasons you mention. But we'll have 81 ports! Most private tours go from $50-100pp, so that would come out to an additional $4,050-8,100 on top of my cruise fare.....not realistic on my budget. So, we're taking the 36 included ship excursions and just DIY walking around for many of the rest of the ports. That's why I'm happy to hear some positive feedback for O's tours. Thx!

• 5 months later...