Are P&O restricting alcohol brought on board now?

Jo and Rob

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/alcohol

Each guest aged 18 years (21 years in United States of America ports) and older may bring up to 1 *litre of wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur on board as they embark the ship for the first time *only. Alcohol over the 1 litre limit will be stored and returned to you prior to the end of your *cruise. There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your cabin. However if it is consumed in the dining rooms, bars, restaurants or pool or lounge areas, it will be *subject to a corkage fee of £20* per bottle, per occasion which will be charged to your on-*board account.

You’re welcome to buy bottles of alcohol at ports along the way, but you won’t be able to drink it while on board. We’ll look after it until your cruise comes to an end and return it to you.

I did read the other day a poster said his bag was not checked at a port but a bottle he had in his hand was taken away until the end of the cruise.

So the good news is if they spot it you will get it back at the end of your cruise .

I read a suggestion of this in another thread. We are flying out to Barbados and intend buying some alcohol at the duty free and perhaps at the ports. Is this going to be permitted to bring on board or have the rules changed?

You now need to buy on plane or in duty free before you fly. Just one up to one litre bottle of alcohol (no wine boxes either) per person can be taken on at 'first' embarkation so you cannot get off ship in Barbados and buy it and you cannot buy at any port stops. If you do it will be held until Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You now need to buy on plane or in duty free before you fly. Just one up to one litre bottle of alcohol (no wine boxes either) per person can be taken on at 'first' embarkation so you cannot get off ship in Barbados and buy it and you cannot buy at any port stops. If you do it will be held until Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We normally bring wine boxes on board with Princess so it sounds as if it is getting stricter than other cruise lines. One litre is per person then not per cabin? I really like the cream rum liqueur they make in the Caribbean. Sounds like if I buy it I'll be bringing it home with me.

We normally bring wine boxes on board with Princess so it sounds as if it is getting stricter than other cruise lines. One litre is per person then not per cabin? I really like the cream rum liqueur they make in the Caribbean. Sounds like if I buy it I'll be bringing it home with me.
Princess policy is one bottle of wine per person, so you did well to get a wine box on board!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

A 2 litre wine box per couple in a cabin is ok, we do that. Marginally over the 2 bottle limit, but no dramas.:halo:

I asked on the P and O social media page and was told that you couldn't take a box of wine as it had to be one litre bottle per person and couldn't be combined. I was going to take the box on but not sure it would be worth the risk.

I asked on the P and O social media page and was told that you couldn't take a box of wine as it had to be one litre bottle per person and couldn't be combined. I was going to take the box on but not sure it would be worth the risk.

Can you buy a litre bottle of wine though? I thought wine was sold by 75cl bottles - 2 of which would make 1.5 litres?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you buy a litre bottle of wine though? I thought wine was sold by 75cl bottles - 2 of which would make 1.5 litres?

Not easily, and the only 1 litre bottles I have seen have been of the 'plonk' variety!

I do think P&O are being overly bureaucratic by not allowing a couple to bring on a 2 litre wine box.

Not easily, and the only 1 litre bottles I have seen have been of the 'plonk' variety!

I do think P&O are being overly bureaucratic by not allowing a couple to bring on a 2 litre wine box.

Do we know that they are though? It may say 1 ltr pp but has anyone tried to board with a 3 ltr box for example and been stopped?

Similar to Celebrity first day (embarkation day) you can bring 2 bottles of wine to be used in your cabin/veranda. At port of call all wine is confiscated and returned to you last night.

And on Celebrity everyone takes spirits in Rum Runners.

Do we know that they are though? It may say 1 ltr pp but has anyone tried to board with a 3 ltr box for example and been stopped?

In theory, if the 'powers that be" tried to stop you, you could tell them to pour out a litre, and then take the remaining 2 litres on board. And at the same time, ask them to save the litre for when you disembark!

In theory, if the 'powers that be" tried to stop you, you could tell them to pour out a litre, and then take the remaining 2 litres on board. And at the same time, ask them to save the litre for when you disembark!

Sounds like a plan [emoji6]

Not been on P&O UK since late 2016, Aurora/Oriana, policies change like the wind.:rolleyes:

Just rip the box open at the gangway and drink a litre of the 3 litre wine box, that should please the Alcohol Police. Hic.:halo::')

I have taken wine boxes, we call them wine casks, from 2 litre to 4 litre size, on P&O UK, Princess and Cunard, no accompanying bottles, not been in trouble. I just put them in back pack which goes through X Ray. But with new P&O restrictions, not quite so sure. But then I have no new P&O cruises on the horizon. Had a couple booked this northern summer on Adonia, but you don't want to hear that saga again.:o:( Gonzo.:evilsmile:

We took a 2lt. box. There was no problem at all.

• 3 weeks later...

We had 4 ports Barbados Barbados St Lucia st kitts (applied) Antigua Barbados(applied again) 1st Barbados was embarking over 2 days but the rest Antigua my parents brought on small bottle of white rum no sign the 2 extra people it takes to police at the other 2 ports.

We were asked, politely, by one person after security, standing by a desk with labelled alcohol bottles on it, whether we had alcohol to declare. We never had so maybe looked innocent, so not certain what would happen if you had alcohol but said no.

We were asked, politely, by one person after security, standing by a desk with labelled alcohol bottles on it, whether we had alcohol to declare. We never had so maybe looked innocent, so not certain what would happen if you had alcohol but said no.
Very British way of going about things!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

What are they going to do otherwise? Rub down passengers and take them for a strip search.

I would have thought that the scanners would clearly identify any drink in the cases, so absolutely no need to ask a polite question. Just tell the passenger in question to open the bag in question and establish that the new rule was not being broken.

You’re not there when your cases are being scanned so nobody asks you to open your bag. Shoreside ( in our case at Southampton) they were not concerned in looking for alcohol and at the security scan the people said it had nothing to do with them. Terrierjohn mentioned the desk as you board the ship in port. We took alcohol in and put it through the scanner in our bag and were not asked. We had one bottle we carried onboard in a Barbados duty free carrier bag and we were asked about that. I know a lot of people bought wine in the USA where again the scanners were ashore and run by port security who were not looking for alcohol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums