Norwegian cruises gratuity increase ?

rbell

I'm just new at this, so please have patience. I have a question about NCL gratuities. We have just signed up for a Cruise in Nov 2018. We signed up for the FREE unlimited beverage package but advised we would have to pay the gratuity of approx $239.00 at time of final payment. Is this on top of the DAILY gratuity?

I'm just new at this, so please have patience. I have a question about NCL gratuities. We have just signed up for a Cruise in Nov 2018. We signed up for the FREE unlimited beverage package but advised we would have to pay the gratuity of approx $239.00 at time of final payment. Is this on top of the DAILY gratuity?
Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yes, the gratuity on the beverage package is totally different from the DSC (daily service charge).

Yes. The beverage gratuities are for bartenders.

The daily gratuity/service charge is divided among cabin steward, waiters, and some behind the scenes folks.

• 2 months later...
If I'm reading correctly....

Was $13.50pppd...now $13.99pppd

Was $15.50pppd...now $16.99pppd (suite)

Sky only

Was $13.50pppd...now $18.99pppd

Was $15.50pppd...now $21.99pppd (suite)

Since the SKY is all alcohol included, they are making it higher to make up for the bar employees not picking up 18% would be my guess. $5. more is not going to kill me :) That is less than I would paid on 5 drinks

Just got this email from my t/a

Dear Robert, Thank you for making your travel arrangements with us. We know you must be eagerly anticipating your cruise. Please be advised of some important information about your Norwegian Cruise. Norwegian Cruise Line is making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1, 2017. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. The new rates for all ships, except Norwegian Sky are: $13.99 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom $16.99 per person per day for any suite or Haven category To better address the demands of the enormously successful all-inclusive product aboard Norwegian Sky, the new rates for Sky are: $18.99 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom $21.99 per person per day for any suite category Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2017 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate are not affected. We value your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or require further assistance, please feel free to call us at XXX XXX=XXXX. Sincerely, Customer Care CRUISES ONLY

Nominal yes, but not so much when it happens every year.

NCL seems to have the highest fees yet seems like their services are declining. the UBP sucks, fee for this fee for that. whats next 30% for gratuity service charge on UBP and UDP?

Cruisng with NCL might no longer be the best value. Will start looking into other vacation options for next year.

;pSo for a family of 4 I will now be paying a whopping 14 dollars more for a 7 day cruise. I'm out, will never cruise again with NCL, horrible company, how can they do this

the Nickle and Diming continues... :(

My email from NCL shows higher charges for Sky and Sun than discussed here 19.99 pppd for non-suites 22.99 pppd suites. It is pretty absurd to call it discretionary and certainly not "all-inclusive"

Sammy the 19.99/22.99 pppd will ONLY be charged to Sun and Sky guests on 3 and 5 day cruises out of Port Canaveral. These are the ONLY free open bar cruises.

I’m on an 18 day departing from Seattle so we’ll only see the 51 cent a day increase.

And I’m prepaying this weekend, so not to see any increase at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

and the post is nearly a year old . Have you all been in hibernation
Actually it seems like you've been hibernating the last week...... DSC will increase on April 1, 2018 for any NEW bookings and for anyone who pays DSC on board (regardless of booking date)

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

My email from NCL shows higher charges for Sky and Sun than discussed here 19.99 pppd for non-suites 22.99 pppd suites. It is pretty absurd to call it discretionary and certainly not "all-inclusive"

[emoji849]both the sun in the sky are or soon will be all inclusive open bar so there's no service charge on the beverage package that's what is the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums