Increases in DSC effective 4/1/18 (SUN & SKY)

ElaineKeagy

I just received this email from NCL about my 4/19 sailing on the Sun:

“Norwegian Cruise Line is making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1, 2018. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to the onboard staff dedicated to delivering superior guest service throughout the cruise.

To better address the demands of the enormously successful and the industry's only all-inclusive cruise experience offered on Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun, those ships' daily service charges will be:

· $19.99 per person per day for inside, oceanview and balcony staterooms

· $22.99 per person per day for suites

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2018 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate are not affected.”

I’m not really bothered by this increase because I will prepay my services charges at the old rate. What I don’t get is what is meant by:

“the industry's only all-inclusive cruise experience offered on Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun”.

On the Sun, I’ll be paying extra for my water, alcohol, wine, Internet, shore excursions etc. IMO these are the included items that makes a cruise all-inclusive. Viking Cruises are all-inclusive. NCL ..........uh NO.

What on earth do they mean by this statement??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m a slow typist OK?? And I’m specifically asking about the supposed all-inclusive cruising on the Sun and the Sky. Always a good idea to read the entire comment before posting.

I’m a slow typist OK?? And I’m specifically asking about the supposed all-inclusive cruising on the Sun and the Sky. Always a good idea to read the entire comment before posting.

Nicely played.

“the industry's only all-inclusive cruise experience offered on Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun”.

On the Sun, I’ll be paying extra for my water, alcohol, wine, Internet, shore excursions etc. IMO these are the included items that makes a cruise all-inclusive. Viking Cruises are all-inclusive. NCL ..........uh NO.

What on earth do they mean by this statement??

On the other ships, such as the 'Away's' for example, these inclusions for beverage for example are Perks, and an 18% service charge is added to our cruise fare for Beverage packages, or even an 18% per drink gratuity charge if without a package, and Specialty dining too at 18% of costs, and then PLUS the DSC.

I'm guessing that the increase for these two ships is to compensate for what was potentially being absorbed by the cruise fare, by the cruise line.

Edited by MizDemeanor

There are already about five threads on the first page about the DSC rate raise.

I'm sorry but with ANY Nickel and Dime'ing news from Norwegian, multiple threads on the same topic are bound to happen.

You obviously took the time to come into this thread knowing there is other threads on this subject already so whats the deal?

Edited by Georgie562

On the other ships, such as the 'Away's' for example, these inclusions for beverage for example are Perks, and an 18% service charge is added to our cruise fare for Beverage packages, or even an 18% per drink gratuity charge if without a package, and Specialty dining too at 18% of costs, and then PLUS the DSC.

I'm guessing that the increase for these two ships is to compensate for what was potentially being absorbed by the cruise fare, by the cruise line.

After calling the NCL helpless desk, I was able to confirm the new 19.99 & 22.99 DSC are only on Sun and Sky cruises sailing out of Canaveral. Those cruises are all 3 or 4 day cruises with Open Bar standard. Different port, longer cruise, it’ll be 14.50.

The gratuity charge was also recently raised to 20% for the package or individual drink without the package.