Is Oceania Customer Service Going Down Hill?

Cliff-FLL

We have a travel agent, so our direct interactions with Oceania CS in Miami is somewhat limited. However, it seems that, over the past couple/few years, there has been a sharp decline in its quality. Quite awhile back, I sent an email to ask a very generic question and received a response that requested my confirmation number and other identifying information. I responded that the question didn't require providing the requested information. A back-and-forth exchange ensued and she would not provide the requested, very-vanilla information unless I identified myself and my booking information.

Last year, after Hurricanes Irma & Maria, we called to find out the alternate ports of call for our November cruise. A few of the ports had been impacted significantly and other cruise lines had already announced their itinerary variations to exclude those ports. The first agent couldn't quite grasp what we were asking so we asked to speak with a supervisor. She insisted that Oceania had no plans to change the ports of call - which was ridiculous, since those ports were essentially closed. She spent the entire time arguing and finally told us, in a very condescending manner, that we would be notified via email when/if they decided the new ports of call.

We spoke with Oceania CS today, with our travel agent conferenced in, about receiving our travel documents, luggage tags, etc. We'll be leaving for Europe well before the cruise and, as with all previous cruises, we expected to receive the doc's well in advance of the cruise date. In this case, we were told we'd "probably" receive them a few weeks before the cruise in May. After much back and forth, the Oceania rep finally said that we'd "probably" get them toward the end of March. When we asked about having them sent via UPS or Express Mail, she informed us that they never did that -- which we know for a fact is not true.

In the past, our interactions with Customer Service seemed to hinge on "What can I do to be of assistance and resolve this?," but now seems to be "Your request doesn't fall within our strict parameters and we're not budging."

Thoughts?

Sorry to hear that, but we haven't had the experience you had. We haven't cruised "O" for a while, but have booked a cruise not to long ago for this year. I did need to talk to "O"'s CS and got the answers I needed, they were most helpful.

Quite awhile back, I sent an email to ask a very generic question and received a response that requested my confirmation number and other identifying information. I responded that the question didn't require providing the requested information. A back-and-forth exchange ensued and she would not provide the requested, very-vanilla information unless I identified myself and my booking information.

We spoke with Oceania CS today, with our travel agent conferenced in, about receiving our travel documents, luggage tags, etc. "

Thoughts?

You asked for thoughts, so here are mine...

The fact that you:

(1) chose to engage in a protracted back and forth exchange with the customer services team; and

(2) needed to have your agent sit in on
your
call

makes me think that your predicament is of your own making.

Thanks for asking for my opinion... :)

The fact that you:

(1) chose to engage in a protracted back and forth exchange with the customer services team; and

your
call

Yes. Shame on OP for wanting to know what ports he was visiting and for wanting to get his documents before the cruise. I'll bet he even had the gall to turn up for his cruises as well, instead of just staying home and letting the cruise line keep all his money. Some people's children...

The fact that you:

your
call

Your reply nicely illustrates why posting questions on this board is of limited value. The typical regular here is a cheerleader of whichever cruise line they participate in and will assume that negative comments must be the fault of the poster.

My TA has made comments that sometimes information can be slow or possibly incorrect because of unfamiliar staff sitting in for vacation, pregnancy, or other medical relief issues.

I have an experienced TA. I use that TA. I never call Oceania directly, but ask my TA the questions and she responds back within an acceptable time frame. That’s what she gets paid to do. I’m not a control freak that has to get involved in every conversation. Oceania quite strongly encourages their customers to utilize their TA as a buffer in the process.

I have an experienced TA. I use that TA. I never call Oceania directly, but ask my TA the questions and she responds back within an acceptable time frame. That’s what she gets paid to do. I’m not a control freak that has to get involved in every conversation. Oceania quite strongly encourages their customers to utilize their TA as a buffer in the process.

This, my thoughts exactly. Tell your TA what you want to know, let them deal with it. I think in 10 years I've called Oceania once.

Your reply nicely illustrates why posting questions on this board is of limited value. The typical regular here is a cheerleader of whichever cruise line they participate in and will assume that negative comments must be the fault of the poster.

I’m sure we have all observed customer service interactions where there was in issue related to how a question was being asked, rather than what was being asked.

As an aside, there are typically 2 sides to a story. It is bemusing to sse the label “cheerleader” used disparagingly to discredit the opinion of somebody who (having only heard one side of the story), does not immediately assume that a post portrays a situation objectively, without being selective and/or self-serviing.

I’m sure we have all observed customer service interactions where there was in issue related to how a question was being asked, rather than what was being asked.

As an aside, there are typically 2 sides to a story. It is bemusing to sse the label “cheerleader” used disparagingly to discredit the opinion of somebody who (having only heard one side of the story), does not immediately assume that a post portrays a situation objectively, without being selective and/or self-serviing.

Why would you not assume that the poster has a legitimate inquiry? Why would assume the poster is not a perfectly pleasant person who would like the input of others? Your attitude is certainly more telling than that of the OP.

This, my thoughts exactly. Tell your TA what you want to know, let them deal with it. I think in 10 years I've called Oceania once.

Plus 1. Your ta speaks to folks at a higher level than the cs people. Your ta’s contacts are knowledgeable. The phone reps are hit and miss

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a travel agent, so our direct interactions with Oceania CS in Miami is somewhat limited. However, it seems that, over the past couple/few years, there has been a sharp decline in its quality. Quite awhile back, I sent an email to ask a very generic question and received a response that requested my confirmation number and other identifying information. I responded that the question didn't require providing the requested information. A back-and-forth exchange ensued and she would not provide the requested, very-vanilla information unless I identified myself and my booking information.

Last year, after Hurricanes Irma & Maria, we called to find out the alternate ports of call for our November cruise. A few of the ports had been impacted significantly and other cruise lines had already announced their itinerary variations to exclude those ports. The first agent couldn't quite grasp what we were asking so we asked to speak with a supervisor. She insisted that Oceania had no plans to change the ports of call - which was ridiculous, since those ports were essentially closed. She spent the entire time arguing and finally told us, in a very condescending manner, that we would be notified via email when/if they decided the new ports of call.

We spoke with Oceania CS today, with our travel agent conferenced in, about receiving our travel documents, luggage tags, etc. We'll be leaving for Europe well before the cruise and, as with all previous cruises, we expected to receive the doc's well in advance of the cruise date. In this case, we were told we'd "probably" receive them a few weeks before the cruise in May. After much back and forth, the Oceania rep finally said that we'd "probably" get them toward the end of March. When we asked about having them sent via UPS or Express Mail, she informed us that they never did that -- which we know for a fact is not true.

In the past, our interactions with Customer Service seemed to hinge on "What can I do to be of assistance and resolve this?," but now seems to be "Your request doesn't fall within our strict parameters and we're not budging."

Thoughts?

Hmmm.. We booked directly with a customer care agent for the line. She's been helpful & then some. The only thing I'll do differently, is buy my own insurance. The cruise line insurance is really quite steep. Other than that our recent 10 day trip on the Riviera was among the best we've ever had. Only the Queens Grill trip in 2010 on the QM2 was better. Then again it was more than twice the price. We have booked a 14 day trip next Jan. & look forward to the great staff that made our recent trip so nice. You seem to be really kind of looking for a fault here. If you don't like it, then I'd suggest you get a refund if at all possible & then book another line.

Quote "As an aside, there are typically 2 sides to a story. It is bemusing to sse the label “cheerleader” used disparagingly to discredit the opinion of somebody who (having only heard one side of the story), does not immediately assume that a post portrays a situation objectively, without being selective and/or self-serviing."

In reality, there are generally 3 sides to every story one persons story, the other persons story, and the true story :-)!!

Quote "As an aside, there are typically 2 sides to a story. It is bemusing to sse the label “cheerleader” used disparagingly to discredit the opinion of somebody who (having only heard one side of the story), does not immediately assume that a post portrays a situation objectively, without being selective and/or self-serviing."

In reality, there are generally 3 sides to every story one persons story, the other persons story, and the true story :-)!!

Three sides? Hmm. Never thought about it that way. Great post.

In my opinion, it isn't up to posters to judge another person's post (or another poster). Why make a negative assumption? If we, as posters, have a question about what someone posted, why not politely post the question. I believe what a poster writes until/unless they post something that is obviously incorrect or misremembered. Even then, I would not be negative towards them.

If you use a TA, they are the point of contact. The cruiseline pays them a commission to deal with client. Period. Sometimes you might can get info directly but would never expect that. That's why some opt to book directly. If you opt to go with the TA, then abide by the policy.

Regarding travel documents, don't you just need to print out a boarding pass. Luggage tags can be provided at boarding. Cruise lines seem to be following the airline model of not providing documentation.

But you are right customer service has changed. Companies have smaller staffs providing less personal service. Almost everything is done online. Last time I tried to book an air ticket there was a fee to do it over the phone, no fee to book online.

If you use a TA, they are the point of contact. The cruiseline pays them a commission to deal with client. Period.
And, this is why they ask for a booking number. To check to see if this is something that should be directed to the TA.

We have a travel agent, so our direct interactions with Oceania CS in Miami is somewhat limited.

<snip>

Quite awhile back, I sent an email to ask a very generic question and received a response that requested my confirmation number and other identifying information.

<snip>

Thoughts?

What was the question you asked O? Without knowing the question it is difficult to provide a contextually meaningful answer.

We spoke with Oceania CS today, with our travel agent conferenced in, about receiving our travel documents, luggage tags, etc.

<snip>

Thoughts?

You'll receive cruise docs about 2 months prior to the cruise. I received my upcoming May 10 cruise docs on back on March 10, exactly 2 months in this case. Now, that assumes that your TA has requested that Oceania send them directly to you. If not then they go to your TA's address and then they are forwarded to you by your TA. How long that takes is up to your TA, but I would guess 2-5 days at least, depending on where they are located, day of the week received by them and then forwarded to you, and how timely your TA is.

FWIW I leave O's Travel docs at home as I don't need the weight and space consumption as I only do carry-on. Two to three weeks prior to sailing one receives a Final Cruise Vacation Summary email with the Vacation Summary pdf attached which is all that is needed. I do print out a hard copy of page 1 of the attached Vacation Summary. In my case Cruises are almost always part of a much longer land based RTW trip, so if I happen to get cruise docs prior to departing home, I will take the luggage tags with me, but luggage tags are available from the porters at the pier.

... if I happen to get cruise docs prior to departing home, I will take the luggage tags with me, but luggage tags are available from the porters at the pier.

What I'm about to say is based on one experience only: We discovered we had not packed our official luggage tags as we were packing at the end our pre-cruise stay. When we arrived at the port, we told the porter who approached our taxi. He shouted out for the head porter who was responsible for keeping the replacement luggage tags. No one had a marker so the required information was filled in using a pen. This last-minute method absolutely got the job done. All our luggage arrived at our room no later than an ordinary cruise embarkation. However, I would have preferred the information be written so it could be read at a distance like the pre-printed official version. In your place, where you know you don't have the cruise luggage tags, I would pre-emptively make a replacement luggage tag with clear bold writing.