Free walking tour of Puerto Vallarta, anyone done this?

rob in cal

My wife and I will be in PV on March Wednesday March 7, and it looks like the Municipal Tourism Office operates a free walking tour starting at 9, or 12 that day. Has anyone taking this? I'd like to know what sites are covered so that we don't duplicate our walking around before the tour (we will probably take the 12 o'clock tour).

Although we live in P. Vallarta each winter, I havenot done this but heard about it. Indeed a free walking tour, but of course tips are expected. May I advise you to take the 9 am tour as around noon it can be very hot if on a sunny day.

Since tour starts at the tourism office, the walk will be around Malecon and old town.

Ine, perhaps you can help with some local info. In the second d week of March, are whales in the area and is ocean water warm enough for swimming and snorkeling?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Forums mobile app

Whales will still be here, but probably more north in the bay. Official the season lasts till March 23. So better book a tour if you want to see some. Since this is nature no guarantee for seeing some, although this year is better then some other years.

Depending where you live, we find the ocean water warm enough to swim. Maybe not warm enough for snorkeling. Also remember snorkeling here is by far not as good as in the Caribean.

• 2 weeks later...
Whales will still be here, but probably more north in the bay. Official the season lasts till March 23. So better book a tour if you want to see some. Since this is nature no guarantee for seeing some, although this year is better then some other years.

Depending where you live, we find the ocean water warm enough to swim. Maybe not warm enough for snorkeling. Also remember snorkeling here is by far not as good as in the Caribean.

Ine, may I pick your brain since you live their part time? we are doing a food tour in the morning with Vallarta Food Tours. We will then have at least 4 hours before we need to think about getting back to the ship. What would your recommend we do? The other couple we are traveling with are not beach people. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

We'd be tired at the end of a 4 hr tour but it sounds like you have more energy than we do? Any interest in the Botanic Garden in PV??

https://www.vbgardens.org/

Haha - well I will have energy but I'm going to need to gauge the fuel level on my friends. If they've got some gas left I want to have some suggestions that we can do. Thanks for the above link. I never would have thought of that but it looks really nice.

Any idea how to get there from port? It looks like an hour by car. Too far and $$$ for a taxi i would think.

Although I love the botanical garden I have my doubts going there. Driving time by cab is about 45/60 minutes or more one way, depending from where you will start.. The drive itself is partly along the coast, very nice, but not all of the road is well maintained, which can make the drive longer. It is a 2 way winding road, so speed can be limited.

We drive our car here, so I can not help you with the costs. It will; not be cheap. Another problem might be the return. To be sure you will have a cab, you better arrange the driver to wait for you, which costs extra of course.

The garden itself is beautiful, worth a visit, but I think your time is too limited.

Some foodtours stay in town, others go to Pitillal, a small mexican village not that far from Vallarta.

Maybe take a cab and walk/have a drink there? Also even people who arenot beach people like to have a drink in one of the restaurants on Playa Los Muertos. Another option is to walk.have that drink along the Marina where you will see some nice yachts. All of that much closer to the port.

Although I love the botanical garden I have my doubts going there. Driving time by cab is about 45/60 minutes or more one way, depending from where you will start.. The drive itself is partly along the coast, very nice, but not all of the road is well maintained, which can make the drive longer. It is a 2 way winding road, so speed can be limited.

We drive our car here, so I can not help you with the costs. It will; not be cheap. Another problem might be the return. To be sure you will have a cab, you better arrange the driver to wait for you, which costs extra of course.

The garden itself is beautiful, worth a visit, but I think your time is too limited.

Some foodtours stay in town, others go to Pitillal, a small mexican village not that far from Vallarta.

Maybe take a cab and walk/have a drink there? Also even people who arenot beach people like to have a drink in one of the restaurants on Playa Los Muertos. Another option is to walk.have that drink along the Marina where you will see some nice yachts. All of that much closer to the port.

Thanks!

We'd be tired at the end of a 4 hr tour but it sounds like you have more energy than we do? Any interest in the Botanic Garden in PV??

https://www.vbgardens.org/

We agree with Ine (our Amigo) on this topic...but gave it some additional thought. If you have your heart set on visiting the Botanical Garden it can be done from the port without spending a fortune (but its still a long drive). The most reasonable way to get there from the port would be to use Uber...which only can happen if you have a working smartphone, their app, and an account. From the Port you should cross the road over to the Gallerie Mall or Walmat/Sams (this is all one big shopping area). From there you can summon an Uber X car (they can carry 4 adults). Uber will charge somewhere in the 350 - 400 Peso range (one-way) $18-$23 to take you to the Botanical Gardens. It is unlikely you will be able to get another Uber car to come all the way out there to pick you up (you can try)....but getting back on the local bus is not difficult and cheap (but it does take some time). You simply walk out of the Botanical Gardens, cross the road and wait for the bus. It will drop you in the Romantic Zone from where you can trasnfer to another bus (to get you out to the port (called the Marina by many)) or you would be able to get Uber or a taxi from that part of town.

While many here in PV are very proud to have the Botanical Gardens (the place is privately owned) it is nothing like the expansive gorgeous gardens one finds in Europe (or many other places). It is actually a very serious and professional attempt to showcase a lot of local/regional and national floria. Here is a link to their own web site: https://www.vbgardens.org/visit-us/

The folks who own and operate (and volunteer) the Botanical Gardens are friendly and will respond to any question you have (via the "contact us" on their web site. But we would again reiterate Ine's warning that its a long drive from the Port (it can easily take an hour).

Hank

We agree with Ine (our Amigo) on this topic...but gave it some additional thought. If you have your heart set on visiting the Botanical Garden it can be done from the port without spending a fortune (but its still a long drive). The most reasonable way to get there from the port would be to use Uber...which only can happen if you have a working smartphone, their app, and an account. From the Port you should cross the road over to the Gallerie Mall or Walmat/Sams (this is all one big shopping area). From there you can summon an Uber X car (they can carry 4 adults). Uber will charge somewhere in the 350 - 400 Peso range (one-way) $18-$23 to take you to the Botanical Gardens. It is unlikely you will be able to get another Uber car to come all the way out there to pick you up (you can try)....but getting back on the local bus is not difficult and cheap (but it does take some time). You simply walk out of the Botanical Gardens, cross the road and wait for the bus. It will drop you in the Romantic Zone from where you can trasnfer to another bus (to get you out to the port (called the Marina by many)) or you would be able to get Uber or a taxi from that part of town.

While many here in PV are very proud to have the Botanical Gardens (the place is privately owned) it is nothing like the expansive gorgeous gardens one finds in Europe (or many other places). It is actually a very serious and professional attempt to showcase a lot of local/regional and national floria. Here is a link to their own web site: https://www.vbgardens.org/visit-us/

The folks who own and operate (and volunteer) the Botanical Gardens are friendly and will respond to any question you have (via the "contact us" on their web site. But we would again reiterate Ine's warning that its a long drive from the Port (it can easily take an hour).

Hank

Hank as far as I understood this poster had only 4 hours left after doing another tour. That is why I told him he will be short in time, so even by cab or Uber he might have problems returning in time for his ship.

Hank as far as I understood this poster had only 4 hours left after doing another tour. That is why I told him he will be short in time, so even by cab or Uber he might have problems returning in time for his ship.

Hadn't noticed the 4 hour issue. By the way, speaking of Uber last night we had an interesting experince. We had dinner at La Isla and strolled out in front to summon an Uber car to get back to Centro. A few seconds before our Uber ride arrived a yellow taxi pulled up to us and asked if we needed a taxi. Before we could even answer our Uber car arrived....and he had a big magnetic sign on his door saying, "UBER." The taxi driver did not look happy. It is the first time I have ever seen such a large Uber sign. By the way, the Uber cost was about 1/2 of what the taxi would have cost. Wonder how long before the taxi-Uber wars intensify?

Hank

My wife and I will be in PV on March Wednesday March 7, and it looks like the Municipal Tourism Office operates a free walking tour starting at 9, or 12 that day. Has anyone taking this? I'd like to know what sites are covered so that we don't duplicate our walking around before the tour (we will probably take the 12 o'clock tour).

I'm sorry I hijacked your thread! :o

Hank

Thank you very much for the info!

Thanks very much!