Temperatures in the Fjords in May.

Jennizor

Can someone give me any idea of the temperatures in the Fjords in May? My daughter and son-in-law are going there on their first cruise at the end of May. They have 3 small boys and are wondering what to take. It should be warm when they leave Southampton but after that I am not sure as this is a cruise we haven’t done. Any help appreciated.

The same in May '14... we did have a lot of heavy rain, and there were some snowflakes one evening, but at least we were on the ship. Day time- it was warming up because there's so much daylight in May, so sometimes it was T shirts, but we needed fleeces as well.

Hello. We went in May ‘16 with our two young children. From what I can remember, The temperature varied between 10-20 degrees, but we saw quite a lot of sun - we were very lucky, and it only rained for one afternoon (Flam afternoon). There might have been an odd shower but no other persistent rain. Also, when we were travelling back down the North Sea to Southampton we were out on deck sunbathing with many others.

I think this is probably the exception rather than the norm for the Fjords, but my best piece of advice is pack for every weather eventuality. If your boys are anything like mine, they would have enjoyed the holiday just as much jumping in puddles as wandering around in t shirts! Have a great time, we loved the Fjords and would happily go back with our kids.

Thanks for this thread.

Wondering because of considering.

What would be the warmest time of year to go?

Probably late summer, so around August. In terms of weather and temperature, in summer it's likely to be not dissimilar to western Scotland, though of course if the cruise takes you a long way north up the coast it's likely to get a bit cooler.

Because Norway has almost 24 hours daylight from the end of May into July, the ground and sea do warm up quite well, and you can have a heat wave...and then it stays mildish through until autumn.

Treat it as if you were at home, we have been 3 times in late May and only needed coats on 3 occasions, twice in Bergen. I think we have been lucky as we have had some great weather and come homed tanned. Enjoy the fantastic Fjords.

I have been in May twice and both times the temperature was between 10-15 degrees with clear skies and sunshine. I just wore layers eg. t -shirt blouse and sweatshirt and lightweight jacket just in case. We did go to the top of a mountain one day and I just put a thermal t -shirt on instead. We did find that when we were in the Fjord on the ship it was quite warm out of the wind, very pleasant.

My experience based on several Fjord cruises is that weather is comparable to spring in UK.

There is however a strong chance of rain and the temperature can vary. I would take a pullover and a warm coat just in case. Also, if you do the mountain excursions then it gets very cold and you will definitely need warm clothes.

Wandering around towns like Bergen or Stavanger, it was very pleasant and no different to a spring day at home.