Freedom Dining: How is restaurant allocated?

Eveglos

We have our first cruise in May- sailing on Azura to the Norwiegan Fjords. We have opted for Freedom Dining and were wondering how the restaurant is allocated? Is it the same restaurant each night? Is it allocated by Deck number(we are on C Deck) or is it just done randomly?

Any advice much appreciated- as I said we are cruise novices

Thanks

Eve

Hi....there are 3 Main restaurants for dinner at night....2 are allocated for Freedom dining the other for Set time dining. All 3 restaurants serve the same menu. You will be allocated either of the 2 Freedom dining restaurants and that will be the restaurant that you have for dinner each evening. Not sure how they allocate a particular restaurant but it doesn't make much difference because as I said all 3 have the same menu.

Enjoy your cruise....it has every chance of being the first of many and the Azura and the Fjords are wonderful....we did the same cruise on Azura last September.

After night one, you can use either freedom restaurant.

Didn’t realise that- thought we had to eat in the same one each night. Good to know.

Thanks all

Not certain that's correct, they do prefer you to use the allocated restaurant, otherwise usage can become skewed.

Not certain that's correct, they do prefer you to use the allocated restaurant, otherwise usage can become skewed.

Yes, I didn't believe that was true. You are allocated a restaurant and I assume that you stick to it. Perhaps I am wrong. No real reason to switch from one to the other btw.

Yes, I didn't believe that was true. You are allocated a restaurant and I assume that you stick to it. Perhaps I am wrong. No real reason to switch from one to the other btw.

Completely true - done it many a time without issue. Even been ‘diverted’ to the other before due to one being so much busier.

I think you guys are right.

What we found on the Azura was you would find your assigned freedom restaurant card would be in your cabin

for the Meridian or Peninsular also written on that card ...

" please present this card when attending for dinner." (or words to that effect).

We could go for breakfast(8am-9.30am) ,lunch (12.15pm-1.45pm) or afternoon tea (4pm-4.45pm)

in the Peninsular regardless of which freedom venue you had been given as the Meridian only opened for dinner service (6pm-9.30pm) . Peninsular also opening (6pm-9.30pm) for dinner service for it's guests.

(The above is based on a Azura sea day last year Thursday 30th March 2017)

Same as the above post we were once diverted to the other if one was busier than the other one that we had been given .

Hi....glad you are finding the Forum helpful....although at times you can get some unhelpful comments. Even though you can change restaurants as someone previously commented there is no reason to do so as they are identical in decor and menu choice.

" please present this card when attending for dinner." (or words to that effect).

Never been asked to produce the card. Just been asked for cabin number, they check this on the computer to make sure that you are freedom dining. I suppose that the only circumstances they would ask for it was if someone purporting to be from your cabin had already checked in to dine.

Never been asked to produce the card. Just been asked for cabin number, they check this on the computer to make sure that you are freedom dining. I suppose that the only circumstances they would ask for it was if someone purporting to be from your cabin had already checked in to dine.

...and also to check who has told them that they are diabetic, have allergies etc. My OH has diabetes 2, and he's always brought the next night's menu at the end of his meal. :)

Sorry if my post read as you must take the card out of your cabin.

I was trying to point out was what is on the card ..

On the Azura was you would findyour assigned freedom restaurant card would be in your cabin for the Meridian or Peninsular

also written on that card ...

Which we did take at night with us but we were still checked by the method you stated.

Hope this is more clear :)

On our first cruise about 5 years ago on Ventura we were told we could choose either freedom dining restaurant after first night, but we didn’t change. Since then we have been told our allocated restaurant was for the rest of the cruise. So perhaps the policy changed somewhere along the line. But it is true, at one time you could change

On our first cruise about 5 years ago on Ventura we were told we could choose either freedom dining restaurant after first night, but we didn’t change. Since then we have been told our allocated restaurant was for the rest of the cruise. So perhaps the policy changed somewhere along the line. But it is true, at one time you could change

The usual P&O consistency, we have gone to the other restaurant if our allocated one had a queue waiting to get in, on some cruises there has been no problem on others we have been told that we have to stick to our allocated restaurant.