MS Oosterdam Neptune Suite 7151

f3red

This is one of those aft-wrap suites that I heard so much about. I would like to know how big the table(s) are on the balcony. I saw a suggestion to bring a small tablecloth to use when dining on the balc, and wondered what size I should get, as "small" is non-specific. Some of the photos show a round table that looks about 24", but there must be another table around 30"x40" I would imagine. If anyone has access to one of these suites I would appreciate hearing from you. And if you forgot to bring your tape measure, just give it to me in any convenient units, such as x times the length of your iPhone, cubits, etc.

TIA,

rfp

We bring a 70" round tablecloth and it fits the Neptune Suites' veranda table perfectly. A pair of LED candles are also a nice addition for dinner on your veranda.

I am glad you responded - that's a lot bigger than I would have thought! OK - forewarned is forearmed!

That's about 3.9 cubits, or almost 13 times the length of an iPhone 6s (a little over 11 times the length of the 6s+). That's the tablecloth size, not the table size - but I can work with that!

And I just had a thought. Is the room steward able to provide a tablecloth for our use on request? The HAL chat agent seemed to think so. Does anyone have experience with that approach?

And I just had a thought. Is the room steward able to provide a tablecloth for our use on request? The HAL chat agent seemed to think so. Does anyone have experience with that approach?

If you are in a Neptune Suite and arrange with the Concierge to have "in room dining" served course by course, you will be provided a tablecloth and a dedicated waiter from Room Service. It is appropriate to tip the waiter who is sacrificing any other tips while he stays dedicated to all of your course-by-course delivery.

You can just have regular Room Service without the tablecloth and food from the MDR menu that will have all courses delivered at the same time (hint: don't have ice cream for dessert).

After a five year absence from HAL, I decided to book a couple of weeks on the Oosterdam in March of 2019. I always liked the stern corner suites on the Zuiderdam, Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam, so that's what I booked for this upcoming cruise. As I was reading the list of amenities for the Neptune suites, I saw that HAL had installed "Teak Lining" on the verandahs??? What did they line???? Anybody have pictures? I just can't imagine what they mean by that?:confused:

If you are in a Neptune Suite and arrange with the Concierge to have "in room dining" served course by course, you will be provided a tablecloth and a dedicated waiter from Room Service. It is appropriate to tip the waiter who is sacrificing any other tips while he stays dedicated to all of your course-by-course delivery.

You can just have regular Room Service without the tablecloth and food from the MDR menu that will have all courses delivered at the same time (hint: don't have ice cream for dessert).

When we were on Westerdam in a Neptune Suite, the Concierge told us that course by course dining wasn't available. The Concierge was happy to arrange the order from the MDR menu, but it was brought all as one course. No table cloth either.

When we ordered from the Pinnacle Grill room service menu, the waiter told us that had we told them that we were in a suite, they would have brought a table cloth.

FWIW, we think having a table cloth simply isn't worth the trouble.

When we were on Westerdam in a Neptune Suite, the Concierge told us that course by course dining wasn't available. The Concierge was happy to arrange the order from the MDR menu, but it was brought all as one course. No table cloth either.

When we ordered from the Pinnacle Grill room service menu, the waiter told us that had we told them that we were in a suite, they would have brought a table cloth.

FWIW, we think having a table cloth simply isn't worth the trouble.

That was our experience on the Oosterdam last year too. But the concierge, who very carefully reviewed our order with us--2 separate times--before dinner, didn't explain "no courses, no server, no tablecloth". (The Celebrity butlers do an amazing job in this respect,btw.) The room-service guy plopped the tray on our balcony and read off the order to verify. Didn't remove the chafing lids to make sure...so you guessed it: order partially wrong. And lukewarm. So much for THAT. But we still look forward to those free mimosas with in-room breakfast, lol.

After a five year absence from HAL, I decided to book a couple of weeks on the Oosterdam in March of 2019. I always liked the stern corner suites on the Zuiderdam, Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam, so that's what I booked for this upcoming cruise. As I was reading the list of amenities for the Neptune suites, I saw that HAL had installed "Teak Lining" on the verandahs??? What did they line???? Anybody have pictures? I just can't imagine what they mean by that?:confused:

The original verandah deck surface was that nubbly surface that's on all the outdoor decks. (Sand sprayed over tar? Like that).I imagine they laid a teak laminate over it, not actual boards (at least that what it seems like to me--and there's plenty of black grout between the teak strips). There are a bunch of photos on the halfacts website. This is from the K-dam:

kodm4184-Side-balcony.jpg

That was our experience on the Oosterdam last year too. But the concierge, who very carefully reviewed our order with us--2 separate times--before dinner, didn't explain "no courses, no server, no tablecloth". (The Celebrity butlers do an amazing job in this respect,btw.) The room-service guy plopped the tray on our balcony and read off the order to verify. Didn't remove the chafing lids to make sure...so you guessed it: order partially wrong. And lukewarm. So much for THAT. But we still look forward to those free mimosas with in-room breakfast, lol.

While we were very satisfied with our MDR room service, we probably won't do it again on our next cruise. We'll be on Rotterdam, near the stairs, and just one flight from the lido. We will do a couple of dinners in the PG and one in Canaletto. For the rest, we'll probably just get our own dinners from the Lido and dine on our balcony.