glad I found you!

StormySeas

I am really glad I found this group! lots of good suggestions and support for those that need it. I am 56 but will be 57 soon. Not yet retired but looking forward to retirement very much!!! :D DH and I love to cruise and hope to do more cruising when we finally retire. do you find that cruising is different for a 55+ cruiser?

Well one thing that is different is the cost of travel insurance. I just priced the same insurance and at 55 the cost is $230, at 65 the cost is $290, and at 75 the cost is 463!

Another thing is that you will find more people take longer cruises (usually once past retirement). For example, on a world cruise at least 95% of the people on board are over 55.

Good point about travel insurance. when we hit 65 and over, started to pay for medical coverage and medical transportation, rather than just trip ins.

More likely to take ship tours rather on our own, more expensive, less work, less risk.

Take more interest in the ship, than just the destinations.

I agree cruising is good at any age but it is 100 times better when you retire, before retirement one cruise a year now i have 3 booked one 10, 14, and 8 day plus we also do Pre and Post stay something we could not do before retirement it has been 3 years since i said farewell.

• 4 weeks later...

Retired at 57 and never looked back even though I am getting less income. I am enjoying life! I can travel whenever I want and the deals are much better than during summer time. Husband is so envious he can't wait for his turn in 2019.

My wife retired in 2005, just before the world went to crap. I sure wish we'd have known - she probably would have continued for a few more years. The downturn impacted my job (was made part-time initially and lost it completely after a few more years), depleted our savings, and made me absolutely risk adverse when it came to what I still had in my 401K. I eventually did get a new job, but it pays me $35k less a year than what I was earning in my old one. The bottom line is that I'll (thankfully) still be able to retire when I'd expected (provided I can stay employed for another 7 years) but it is going to be with a more modest income than I'd envisaged 12-15 years ago. So no doubt we'll have the time to travel but am not sure I'll have the funds to do it as often as we might like.

It is tempting to try to retire earlier than 65, but like you, the funds don't allow it right now. I'm trying to sock away as much as I can and we've cut back on our vacations ( so painful!) and living on a tighter budget. Should have done so when we were younger!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I retired almost 3 years ago. My wife is pulling the plug in about 3 months. Up to now, we've taken a maximum 2 week winter vacation to a warm climate and tried to work in a cruise on occasion. Soon, we'll be able to spend more time in a warm climate during the winter as we won't have a career to get back to. We live about 400 miles north west of Minneapolis where it hit -35F yesterday. So, I'm sure you can appreciate the desire to escape the freezing cold as the aches and pains of a senior citizen set in.:p