Weather for the Upcoming Jan 7 TA crossing of Queen Victoria and/or Queen Elizabeth

dadsbdaycruiser

Last year we did a crossing on the Queen Elizabeth and had a a very quiet crossing- which was wonderful. This year we are sailing on the Queen Victoria from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. I remember seeing some forecasts for the upcoming weather for last year's crossing, but can't seem to find the link this year. Does anyone have these links? Or information on the upcoming weather next week, now that we are one week out? It sounds like there has been some weather, and would be interested in any insight. Thanks!

Reliable weather forecasts have a delay of 3 days and you should wait some time until such forecasts are available.

I did a transatlantic on Queen Victoria a few years ago and the weather was stormy for about 2 to 3 days, but the ship managed the storm well. In general, the North Atlantic can have any weather at any time of the year, but no worries, Cunard ships and their captains will do their best to make the crossing enjoyable.

We are also on the QV this Sunday, as we were in Nov/Dec on the roundtrip to the Caribbean. On the way over on leaving the Azores we had a Force 10 and homeward between Azores and UK a Force 11! Who knows what we will get: the Atlantic is full of surprises.

The projection for next Sunday's sea condition by the U.S. Government's NOAA show seas ranging around 16-18 feet in the English Channel and winds tending to come from the west. It could be a rough ride for Mrs. Brown!

I've been looking at the U.S. Navy's along with NOAA's wave prediction sites. Of course the predictions are all very fluid. The Navy site still shows an agitated English Channel for Sunday night. Once we get out of there it's any layman's guess

what the crossing holds in store. If we do a direct great circle route things look very rough, but if we skirt down the coast running a rhumb line course west of the Iberian Peninsula and Africa and then cut west it just looks rough!

So it's been a little bit of tricky crossing. On Tuesday we sailed alongside the Queen Elizabeth all day, which was actually really neat.The seas increased on day two, were very rough on Tuesday night.

After a very hard night of high seas, we awoke to an announcement by our Captain that both the QV and QE would not longer be going to Bermuda, and instead would have an evening and morning stop in that Azores the same day. We had a lovely night in Praia da Vittoria (our group went off to Angro to Hermoiso which is an absolutely lovely place and thoroughly enjoyed ourself)- and a much needed quiet day of sailing on Wednesday and a warm evening in Port, we again woke up to rainy windy conditions. So another announcement was made that we will not be going ashore this morning and will be headed to Florida.

I'm actually kind of relieved that we won't be making the trek to Bermuda, I suspect it will be easier to stay to the south of some of the weather.

How's the weather treating you now, dadsbdaycruiser?

I'm in the QE right now. We have been having a very rocky evening, although, IMO, not as much as Tuesday night. Tuesday night was the first time I can ever recall being seasick to the point of actual illness on any seagoing vessel, in my life. I guess I can tell myself that it takes seas so rough to change the entire itinerary of a serious ocean liner, to make me seasick ;)

We spent much of Wed in port, because the winds were too high fir the tugboats to get us out from port, but we were underway by the afternoon. Last night was quite rough, not quite as bad as Tuesday night but we woke up to stormy seas and most everyone has been awoken during the night at some point. As the day has gone by it has improved- it's still rolling as I write this but the Commodore said that the worst should pass by midnight and it should continue to improve.

I was up in the spa today and they said that there were pictures of the QV (taken a few days ago from the QE) of the bow of our ship underwater during some of the worst on Tuesday.

Hope things are calming down for you all on the QE, let us know how it's going.