Anyone ever take Amtrak into Los Angeles to board a ship at the LA World Cruise Termi

cmdchiefthom

My wife and I are retired, and are considering taking Amtrak from South Bend, IN to LA to board the Star Princess for the 15 day RT to Hawaii. Time for us is not an issue, so 40+ hours on a train in a private bedroom suite sounds relaxing. If anyone here on the boards has used Amtrak cross country to board a ship, would you plese share your experience;)

We too travel Amtrak (cruising or not). Used the train to catch an Alaska cruise out of Seattle and last year an AQSC river cruise on the Snake/Columbia Rivers. We allow at least a day prior for arrival and do some local sightseeing. We typically travel sleeper paid with Amtrak Guest Rewards Points. The train is part of the vacation, not just a way to get there.

We've taken Amtrak several times from Reno, NV. Once to LA and once to SF for cruises. I would imagine that you would take the Zephyr to California (it ends at Emeryville across the bay from SF) and then change to the Coastal Starlight to go south to LA. You can change anywhere from Sacramento to Emeryville. Both cities have hotels within walking distance of the trail station as the trains don't arrive close to each other. Sacramento is where the Coast Starlight turns north again to Seattle. In LA you'll need to get to the port, we took Super Shuttle but if you do that schedule a private car, not the shared one or you might be driven around the city before getting to the port. We've enjoyed our times on the train, may take a lot longer than flying but much more relaxing.

Not sure why you would take the northern route California Zephyr if you are going to LA...the Southwest Chief route makes a lot more sense. It goes from Chicago to LA, so you would probably have to take the train from Indianapolis to Chicago to catch it.

Once you are at Union Station in LAX, you can take an Uber or shared van Supershuttle to get to the port (about 30 miles) or there is a Amtrak shuttle called the Throughway that you can book by booking your entire trip from Indianapolis (or Chicago) with your destination as San Pedro, CA (SPD) instead of Los Angeles. It takes you to the Catalina Express (ferry) pier which is a short walk to the cruise ship terminal in San Pedro. A taxi will be VERY expensive.

taxi fare finder.com will give you an approximate fare.

Execucar would also work. It’s Super Shuttles black car service.

FWIW Catalina Express is at Pier 95, the cruise ships are at 91, 92, 93.

Like others have advised...be sure to leave at least one full day of 'cushion' in case your train is seriously delayed....

From South Bend, you are in good shape, as you can take either the Capitol Limited or the Lake Shore Limited to connect in Chicago with the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles....I would recommend booking the former, as it's scheduled earlier, and if it's seriously delayed from New York, you may have the option to take the latter....

And if both are seriously delayed to jeopardize your connection in Chicago, you always could take the South Shore Line commuter train and taxi over to Union Station...

Have traveled on Amtrak a number of times, although not traveling to a cruise. While Amtrak's on time numbers have improved, I would schedule so that you arrive in the LA area at least two days in advance, to prevent any issues. Just to be safe.

I so agree with this. We did use Amtrak to get to Seattle (from Ventura Co. on the Coast Starlight) for a cruise, and padded in at least a day and a half.

I actually went on the Chief to go from Union Station in LA to Jefferson City, MO back in the 70s for grad school.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also thinking of taking Amtrak to LA from Kansas City. Our cruise is January 2019, and we'd actually have to board the train on either Dec 31 or Jan 1. If you have the opportunity to post a followup, cmdchiefthom, I am eager to learn what you decide to do and the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We are also thinking of taking Amtrak to LA from Kansas City. Our cruise is January 2019, and we'd actually have to board the train on either Dec 31 or Jan 1. If you have the opportunity to post a followup, cmdchiefthom, I am eager to learn what you decide to do and the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Biker, I went ahead and booked it. There is an Amtrak station in South Bend, so 2 hours to Union Station in Downtown Chicago. We have four hours there, but they have a lounge area for passengers who book a Bedroom, which we did, plus they will secure your luggage, and I know a couple of restaurants in the loop, so we won't starve. We board at 3, and its 40 + hours until we arrive at Union Station in downtown LA. Uber XL to the Doubletree in San Pedro for 2 nights, then 15 nights aboard the Star. On the way home, we disembark the ship as late as we can, again call UberXL, and head back to Union Station downtown, head to the Lounge, we booked a Bedroom, and wait to board at 6:00 PM for the 42+ hour trip back to Chicago, and then to South Bend. I like the less stressful ride with a view, comfortable chairs, a bed, bathroom with shower, meals included in the fare, and beverages for sale. For me it's kind of a no brainer, vs today's airlines;)