West Coast "Vancouver Shuffle" cruises

runnerodb83

For those that may not be familiar with the term, the Vancouver shuffle is a cruise scheduling technique that allows you to leave from a US port and return to a different US port without violating the PVSA.

My friend Cruisin Rob has put together a list of *eligible* voyages for 2018 on HAL and Princess ships.

Check it out.

http://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2018/01/west-coast-cruises-capitalizing-on.html

Interesting but from the few I checked, it looks like they all involve changing ships which automatically makes them OK, and also makes them somewhat of a hassle. This is worse than just changing staterooms on a B2B! Not sure what the point is - simply going from one US port to another US port is hardly my top criteria for choosing a cruise. What am I missing?

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting but from the few I checked, it looks like they all involve changing ships which automatically makes them OK, and also makes them somewhat of a hassle. This is worse than just changing staterooms on a B2B! Not sure what the point is - simply going from one US port to another US port is hardly my top criteria for choosing a cruise. What am I missing?

Even worse, you'd be stuck with the food on Princess and HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of ways to spin this. A cruise is (at least) a point in the Princess loyalty system, no matter how short. We did a Vancouver-Seattle cruise on the Ruby Princess in a suite to get double points; makes getting to Elite a lot easier.

When I was shopping for our 2014 cruise, one of the TAs I visited was helping a Seattle-based couple book an Amtrak ride Seattle-Vancouver, a one-night Vancouver-Seattle cruise, and then staying aboard the ship for a seven-day Alaska round-trip. Great scenery on the ride north, two cruise points for 8 days of cruising, and a Seattle round-trip in the grand scheme of things (though probably some additional transportation logistics to either park near the train station then get back to there at the end of the cruises, or park near the cruise terminal and get to the Amtrak station at the beginning).