MedallionNet WiFi

coolcruiser777

as I understand - MedallionNet is just the fancy name for increase wifi speed. You still have to purchase wifi minutes to use it. As part of the Medallion rollout fiasco, it seems like Platinum and Elite passengers will get unlimited minutes - not just the standard 150 minutes for platinum members

as I understand - MedallionNet is just the fancy name for increase wifi speed. You still have to purchase wifi minutes to use it. As part of the Medallion rollout fiasco, it seems like Platinum and Elite passengers will get unlimited minutes - not just the standard 150 minutes for platinum members

I'll never get my wife off of her phone then...:p

We are going on our 1st princess cruise and I was told there would be a reduced rate for the internet once onboard for those who are not up to that status yet of platinum and elite- any idea of how much a reduction it will be?? We have some internet purchased already but curious as to what the reduced prices will be.

When I spoke to Princess regarding Medallion roll out and services they said the wifi would be increased speed but as an Elite I would recieve only my regular 150 minutes. Did you hear something different?

Chris

When I spoke to Princess regarding Medallion roll out and services they said the wifi would be increased speed but as an Elite I would recieve only my regular 150 minutes. Did you hear something different?

Chris

Yes it has been reported and documented that elite and platinum will have unlimited wifi on the preview sailings for *****

Will we be able to message each other and people on land for free using the messaging apps through SocialOcean (Facebook Messenger, iMessage, etc.)?

The way I understand it: Onboard to onboard is no charge as it is now.

Social sites will be a daily charge for unlimited use. I think the charge is $14.99/day, but not certain. Upgraded use goes up to $29.99 per day.

Platinum and Elites will get the same comp. internet mins that they currently have.

• I understand that wifi will be unlimited fir platinum and elite guests: Am I reading into this incorrectly?

• MedallionNet™ Wi-Fi – the best wi-fi experience on a cruise ship - fast, reliable, pervasive and affordable with an access point in every stateroom – enabling guests to share their vacation experiences with family and friends more quickly on social media. And during your preview cruise, MedallionNet will be:
    • Complimentary for our Platinum & Elite guests
    • Reduced daily rates for all other guests

• 3 weeks later...

From a mailing from Princess today to those sailing on a February 2018 Regal Princess cruise:

Bluetooth tokens not for everyone:

"While your stateroom is not in the activated group receiving physical Medallions, you will still be among the first to enjoy a host of all-new Ocean Medallion vacation enhancements"

but enhanced wifi is available, and appears to be "unlimited" on a per device basis. No word on actual typical speed/latency:

"MedallionNet™: The best Wi-Fi and digital experience at sea: fast, reliable, pervasive and affordable with an access point in every stateroom, enabling you to easily share your Princess vacation experiences with family and friends on social media. During your preview cruise, MedallionNet is available for:

• $9.99 per device (for a 24-hour period) or
  • $29.99 for up to four devices (for a 24-hour period) charged to the same stateroom folio or
  • FREE for our Platinum and Elite guests (one device per guest)."

• 1 month later...

We are currently on Regal and connected to MedallionNet. I am in the stateroom and service is iffy... internet speed is good but has a very high amount of latency (response time) which makes difficult to use. On the flip side, Regal intranet has no issues at all, very fast and no latency. We are platinum so we do have unlimited access (unlimited minutes) limited by network response times :).

While walking through passageways, we noticed several staterooms that are wired for medallion. It is an electronic touchpad located by stateroom door. We are in a full suite and do not have this feature. There are kiosks throughout the ship that appear to be for medallion users.

Rod

Update from Regal - currently no issues with medallionnet. Have good reliable service across ship.... speed and latency. Never have to login, always online. Easy to shift between phone and IPad. Only latency experienced is while on cruisecritic boards.:confused: To my friends up north, It is sunny and in the ‘80s.

Rod

Update from Regal - currently no issues with medallionnet. Have good reliable service across ship.... speed and latency. Never have to login, always online. Easy to shift between phone and IPad. Only latency experienced is while on cruisecritic boards.:confused: To my friends up north, It is sunny and in the ‘80s.

Rod

Thanks and this is my observation from our 2-day experience in November.

887ea12d720787c9951ff951c88af577.jpg

This is from recent thread. Sounded like they were still in port and also made the comment that it was "barely working". If it truly is 75 Down and 25 Up that would be a vast improvement even with the latency shown. Hope they post again once at sea and what their experience was with MedallionNet throughout the cruise.