Albania on the Oosterdam

moorerf

We will be on a Med cruise in May that has a stop in Sarande, Albania. I have done some research and find not much to do in Sarande but maybe a walk about. Anyone know any sites to see in town?? I am not interested in an excursion to Burint or for that matter anywhere. Also will it be possible to get a few Albanian Lek from the attendant in the Neptune Lounge? (we are in a Neptune suite). I just want a small amount to use for buying a snack etc...and not really feeling I want to use an ATM there. Anyone who has visited that can provide some insight???

We had a stop in Sarande in 2016, after all of our Turkish ports were cancelled. I'm afraid that it was underwhelming. It's a seaside town on the Albanian Riviera, with a rock-pebble beach like you would find in Nice, and Soviet-era architecture. There's a boardwalk with shops and restaurants and bars running along the beach, and lots of people had set up stalls and stands because the cruise ship was in. One woman was selling some beautiful hand-made lace, but most of the items were trinkets like you'd find in a flea market or dollar store.

It's kind of interesting to actually go to Albania, because of its history and mystery in the 20th century, but there isn't a lot there IMO. The people we knew who went to the Blue Eye or the castle, either on a HAL tour or independently, were generally not that impressed. I don't know anyone who went on an archeological tour, to Burint or further afield.

Don't worry about Lek, Euros were accepted everywhere we went in town, and I believe that all of the restaurant & bar signs advertised prices in Euros.

We will be on a Med cruise in May that has a stop in Sarande, Albania. I have done some research and find not much to do in Sarande but maybe a walk about. Anyone know any sites to see in town?? I am not interested in an excursion to Burint or for that matter anywhere. Also will it be possible to get a few Albanian Lek from the attendant in the Neptune Lounge? (we are in a Neptune suite). I just want a small amount to use for buying a snack etc...and not really feeling I want to use an ATM there. Anyone who has visited that can provide some insight???

Unless something has changed the concierge in the Neptune Lounge isn’t in the money exchange business. The front desk may have Albanian Leks but may not since Albania isn’t exactly a major port for HAL or any other line for that matter. While Albania hasn’t joined the EU yet I wouldn’t be surprised to see them accept Euros. That’s fairly common even for non-EU countries in that part of the Med.

Sarande is an extremely unprepossessing city, being made worse nearly every month by shoddy new construction along the shore (and in other places).

Seems a real shame not to get out into the countryside even a bit to see some of the more beautiful landscape of Albania...

Unless something has changed the concierge in the Neptune Lounge isn’t in the money exchange business. The front desk may have Albanian Leks but may not since Albania isn’t exactly a major port for HAL or any other line for that matter. While Albania hasn’t joined the EU yet I wouldn’t be surprised to see them accept Euros. That’s fairly common even for non-EU countries in that part of the Med.

I realize they are not in the money exchange business but from what I have read on HAL site and here in cruise critic they can take care of many things for you so you don't have to go to front desk, stand in line etc...One of the perks of a suite in this category!

:D

We have been to Sarande twice, once in 2008 when we did the tour Dave in NJ mentioned. Seeing the countryside was interesting, especially the bunkers that have been turned into houses.

We were also there in 2016 when bleacher04was there. We just walked around town. On the main street there is an old ruin that is either Greek or Roman. It is not that impressive as there are only the foundations left.

Walking along the waterfront was nice. We enjoyed checking out the kiosks and the waterfront restaurants. It was just a pleasant couple of hours ashore.

We have also been to Durres twice and Triana once. We’ve found you did not need Leks as Euros are readily accepted in Albania.

Sorry you don't want to go to Butrint- it was fabulous. Perhaps reading up on the Roman history of this area would make it more appealing. It is a gem and probably haunts more than many other now over-touristed ancient sites.

Our tour also included going up to a hillside castle/fort and a fish lunch. So track down at least a resaurant to enjoy through a dining website. Agree, just wandering around to see the state of disrepair and failed shoddy construction projects is a lesson in itself, and getting some people to people contact to learn what it was like living in Albania during those long years or total isolation. Learn about the Battle of Lepento which took place in nearby waters and why that was so important to us even today.

Time to apply that general travel advice rule we follow "There is no unintersting street in India". Just wander and uncover, even the ordinary. Watch kids play in a school yard, see seniors out on an social excursion, visit a grocery store, find an open market, see how their post office operates, find their government buildings or library ....

I realize they are not in the money exchange business but from what I have read on HAL site and here in cruise critic they can take care of many things for you so you don't have to go to front desk, stand in line etc...One of the perks of a suite in this category!

:D

The concierge can indeed exchange money for you and/or cash travellers cheques and/or provide you with smaller denominations.

IF the ship has LEK, the concierge will as well.

I doubt the ship will have that currency, though. They will have euros, most likely.

One other interesting thing about Sarande. There are quite a few cafes along the main street where the men go to dring coffee and to visit. However, there are no women sitting in the cafes or at the sidewalk tables. It is strictly for the men.

Of the three Albanian towns we've visited, it is definitely the least modern or picturesque. It seems like when Durres and T riana were being brought into the 21st century and spruced up, they forgot Sarande.

Still, interesting to see for a couple of hours.