Best drinks onboard

Cancruizer

DW and I like the 24 carat gold margaritas. I also drink classic daiquiris which are easy to explain to the bartenders who usually don’t know how to make them. (The only potential problem is lack of fresh lime juice.) I’ll also drink a rum old fashioned now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a young man I favored bare bones everything, such as martinis only by KONA VILLAGE KID's definition. Nowadays, I seem to favor more elaborate things including cocktails. One of my favorite martinis on land, before the restaurant that served it lost favor with me, was a dirty martini with the olives stuffed with blue cheese. And the thing is I normally don't care for olives. I'm reading some great options on here, the first one I'm going to try is the Vesper! I am also experimenting with cocktails that have more volume such as the Isaac.

Recent 28 day cruise:

First week was Bulleit Rye straight up. After that it was mostly Talisker straight up interspersed with Chairman of the Board martinis - straight up with a twist. A couple of times I had a Tanqueray and Tonic or a Hendricks and Tonic. Sometimes at the tail of the evening I would have a B&B or Drambuie. Morning drinks were either Bloody Mary (extra spicy) or Pernod and OJ. (I may be the only person who drinks Pernod & OJ but I like it a lot.) We also got unopened splits of champagne and had Mimosas on the balcony a few times. It was also nice a couple of times to have a Cognac with desert while we were all still at the table gabbing. In Vines I favored the Spellbound Petite Syrah although it was much better in the glasses they use at Vines than it was if I got it "to go" to take to dinner. The glass really does make a difference in the way the wine tastes and feels. It was "featured" one night at dinner as well but the bottle they used in MDR had obviously been opened some other day. It wasn't exactly "corked" but tasted "stale". (None of the wines we tried in MDR were anything to remember.)

My wife loved the Raspberry Martini (Crooners made the best one by far) and the Lemon Drop Martini. She also loved Amaretto and Brandy or Grand Marnier. For beer we drank either Bass Ale or else Newcastle on tap. (My wife was an especial fan of the Newcastle.) We also found one bar on Lido deck that still had Alaskan Amber left because the ship had recently been sailing in Alaska. We took those - unopened - back to the cabin.

There are sooooooooooo many things available. We had booked under the Sip and Sail so felt free to have pretty much whatever took our fancy at the moment. My regular "last call" for the night was San Pellegrino. The small bottles were included with the beverage package.

Thrak, Where did you find Bulleit Rye on board? I've only seen Bulleit Bourbon but I prefer the Rye.

I feel your pain. Up until our recent cruise on Emerald there has been no Bulleit Rye. Wheelhouse on Emerald has the Whiskey Adventure. It's a vastly expanded menu that has some much higher-end (expensive!) offerings. It also has some additional "regular" offerings that are within the price range of the beverage package. One of those is Bulleit Rye. To date, Emerald has been the only Princess ship we have sailed that had the rye.

You can see info from Princess here: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/

Yes, I know that says Salty Dog Gastropub (also in Wheelhouse on Emerald) but just scroll down the page a bit and there is also info there about the Whiskey Adventure including a link to a pdf menu of the whiskey offerings.

I feel your pain. Up until our recent cruise on Emerald there has been no Bulleit Rye. Wheelhouse on Emerald has the Whiskey Adventure. It's a vastly expanded menu that has some much higher-end (expensive!) offerings. It also has some additional "regular" offerings that are within the price range of the beverage package. One of those is Bulleit Rye. To date, Emerald has been the only Princess ship we have sailed that had the rye.

You can see info from Princess here: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/

Yes, I know that says Salty Dog Gastropub (also in Wheelhouse on Emerald) but just scroll down the page a bit and there is also info there about the Whiskey Adventure including a link to a pdf menu of the whiskey offerings.

Awesome! I didn't even think to look at the offerings in the Wheelhouse last month when I was on the Crown but I'm on the Regal next week and will take a look for sure!

DW and I like the 24 carat gold margaritas. I also drink classic daiquiris which are easy to explain to the bartenders who usually don’t know how to make them. (The only potential problem is lack of fresh lime juice.) I’ll also drink a rum old fashioned now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto on the 24 carat gold margaritas at Crooners. Basically it's a blended margarita with a floater of Grand Marnier. YUM!!!!

Awesome! I didn't even think to look at the offerings in the Wheelhouse last month when I was on the Crown but I'm on the Regal next week and will take a look for sure!

According to the fine print at the bottom of that page missed it on Crown and with Regal you "may" well be in luck:

^The Salty Dog Gastropub is now available on Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess.

*The Whiskey Bar Menu is now available on Crown Princess, Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess, Golden Princess, Ruby Princess, and Sea Princess. Coming soon to Caribbean Princess, Coral Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess, Star Princess and Sun Princess.

Pricing and availability of Salty Dog Gastropub and Whiskey menu items vary by ship and are subject to change.

According to the fine print at the bottom of that page missed it on Crown and with Regal you "may" well be in luck:

^The Salty Dog Gastropub is now available on Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess.

*The Whiskey Bar Menu is now available on Crown Princess, Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess, Golden Princess, Ruby Princess, and Sea Princess. Coming soon to Caribbean Princess, Coral Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess, Star Princess and Sun Princess.

Pricing and availability of Salty Dog Gastropub and Whiskey menu items vary by ship and are subject to change.

fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

No luck on the Regal for Rye. :-( I did not go thirsty, however! ;p I'm on the Royal in March; maybe I'll have luck then!

Tried the Milky Way martini at Crooners recently as well as the Quantum of Solace and both were fabulous!! Thanks for the recommendation.

On another note, there were few poolside drinks we ordered twice. Unfortunately they were using mostly boxed flavour mizers and then adding 1 oz of rum so really just tasted sweet and generic. Not worth it, imo.

My favorite is chairman of the board which at one time was offered in the PES lounge but alas no more at discount price. Last cruise I feel in love with the green apple martini.

Chairman of the board was great in past years when served in the Elite Lounge, now not that good -- make better at home using the old recipe. Taught a bartender on Norwegian the recipe, they were delicious!

Edited by DrJohn
clarity

Hi All,

What are some of your favorite drinks on Princess? What MUST we try? Have loved the Toasted Almond Martini at Crooners in the past and DH enjoyed Lemontini and the mojitos Can`t wait to cruise again :D:ship::hearteyes:

Thanks!!

For a Caribbean Cruise - nothing says vacation like a Jamaican Stormy It's a take on the Dark & Stormy...but because they use Appleton Rum, it's called Jamaican Stormy....:hearteyes: