Room service etiquette - What do we do with tray/plates when done? Standard cabin?

UmaDaughterOfUrsula

On at least on line, That was the instruction we were given ‘place the tray in the hall for collection’.

Sorry I’ll do as the line asks.

Can you please tell us which cruise lines tells you to do that, and also provide the link?

We would never ever leave a tray in the hallway. First of all it’s a danger. Second it’s gross and inconsiderate for other passengers to have to look at someone else’s left over eaten food and dirty dishes. People should not be too lazy to call room service to come pick it up.

HAL actually leaves a card telling you not to leave the tray in the hallway. Celebrity doesn’t say anything but the few times I have ordered breakfast they have called to say they were on their way (I think to confirm we were up and someone was there to let them in), and a little later to find out if everything was OK and we enjoyed breakfast - which would have been an opportune time to ask them to come back to pick up the tray and dishes - if one had not left the cabin yet and was there when the call came in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Celebrity really had a preference, they would publicize the process for picking up the dirty trays and dishes from room service. So feel free to put the dirty dishes in the hallway if you wish. In a standard cabin there really is much extra space to store dirty dishes and trays. What amazes me is that dirty dishes can sit in the hallway all night after the stateroom attendants leave for the evening. I would think that Celebrity should have someone assigned to roam the ship and pick dishes as well as other cleaning at night.

On a cruise with my daughter and granddaughter last year our neighbors seemed to think it was alright to put their dirty dishes right in front of our cabin door. I couldn't believe it. The second time it happened I had a word with guest relations who sent someone to speak to them. Needless to say, it didn't happen again. A little common sense goes a long way. Call for a pickup and leave them in your cabin until they come.

How to get your own back.

Take a room service breakfast card, fill it out with the obnoxios neighbour's cabin no. scribble a name (so it can't be read), then fill out the card with all the stuff you dislike and with the earliest possible delivery time. Late at night hand it on your neighbour's door.:evilsmile:

How to get your own back.

Take a room service breakfast card, fill it out with the obnoxios neighbour's cabin no. scribble a name (so it can't be read), then fill out the card with all the stuff you dislike and with the earliest possible delivery time. Late at night hand it on your neighbour's door.:evilsmile:

Hahahaha. I would never do this, but don't they usually call your cabin when they are on their way with your delivery? (only ordered once and cannot remember)

You should do what you feel most comfortable with. I'm just saying that I've never been instructed to leave the tray in the hallway on any Celebrity ship.

John Heald, Carnival’s brand ambassador routinely tells everyone to place them in the hall. I completely disagree with it and refuse to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Celebrity really had a preference, they would publicize the process for picking up the dirty trays and dishes from room service. So feel free to put the dirty dishes in the hallway if you wish. .........

This statement implies that you are still among the fortunate ones who do not yet need to maneuver a wheelchair or scooter or stroller, or even walk with a cane down a narrow passageway on a rocking ship dodging trays and garbage piled on the floor.

Furthermore, a service cart or suitcase or large stuffed laundry bag, or other obstacle may be parked on the opposite side of the hallway

Under such circumstances, it can become challenging for even active and able-bodied passengers to pass through the hallway, especially when carrying anything bulky.

Some hallways have doors opening to cabins on both sides, and therefore people who follow your advice would be piling dirty trays, dishes and garbage outside their door (or their neighbor's door) on both sides of the hallway.

Modern luxury indeed!

Is that really what Celebrity management had in mind when they selected the Modern Luxury slogan? :(

Hahahaha. I would never do this, but don't they usually call your cabin when they are on their way with your delivery? (only ordered once and cannot remember)

Even better if the request was made for the earliest morning delivery and those that didn't order it like to sleep late in the morning. :evilsmile:

G.M.T,

I’ll have to watch out I don’t offend you then, I believe we’re both on Millennium in March [emoji23][emoji849][emoji848]

Diane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not easily offended :halo:, unless dear MiL comes into sight. :mad::evilsmile:

Indeed we are. How's the planning going? Got Vietnam all tied up now researching Taiwan.

Ron

Never leave them in the hallway. Holland America leaves a card with the tray asking to please leave it in the cabin and call room service to have it picked up, or your room steward will take care of it. I'm very sure Celebrity has the same policy. This goes for ALL cabin catagories.

This is the correct answer!! Call room service back to let him/her know the dishes are ready to be picked up. If they have time, they will pick them up and if not, the task will be passed on to the room steward.

This is the correct answer!! Call room service back to let him/her know the dishes are ready to be picked up. If they have time, they will pick them up and if not, the task will be passed on to the room steward.

Agree. But then there are those that will say "in a standard cabin there really is much extra space to store dirty dishes and trays". Not buying that excuse.

Which is what I said way back on page one because I know this is what they would like you to do. However, having got a sensible and common sense answer some here will still argue the toss. It really does seem to be the way of a lot of posters on this board now.

Phil

However, having got a sensible and common sense answer some here will still argue the toss. It really does seem to be the way of a lot of posters on this board now.

Phil

Maybe there should be rules of etiquette for the Cruise Critic posters. :confused:

Oh!!!!! There is. :cool:

You know, not sure if anyone else remembers this but on the Infinity, there used to be a cart for trays and dirty dishes in the hallway. Once you were done with your room service order or with dishes you brought down from the buffet, you could place your dishes on this cart and room service would go by and clean them all out every 45 minutes or so. The carts were only placed in areas with a niche so it didn't interfere with people with mobility problems (like where the hallways took a turn and were wider at this point). I thought it worked out perfectly but then again, I wasn't in that room right across from the cart and even though I never saw it happen, there may have been some messes created by people that missed the cart. Well, it was discontinued for a reason. But, I thought, at the time, it was a splendid idea.

You know, not sure if anyone else remembers this but on the Infinity, there used to be a cart for trays and dirty dishes in the hallway. Once you were done with your room service order or with dishes you brought down from the buffet, you could place your dishes on this cart and room service would go by and clean them all out every 45 minutes or so. The carts were only placed in areas with a niche so it didn't interfere with people with mobility problems (like where the hallways took a turn and were wider at this point). I thought it worked out perfectly but then again, I wasn't in that room right across from the cart and even though I never saw it happen, there may have been some messes created by people that missed the cart. Well, it was discontinued for a reason. But, I thought, at the time, it was a splendid idea.

Gone with Modern Luxury. They sold the carts off in a job lot with the afternoon tea suite trolleys ;)

Phil

I don't know if anyone remembers when people didn't carry food and drink all over the ship like it was a fast food restaurant. It really wasn't long ago that the elevators didn't smell like leftover food and drink and you could get on without having to dodge the plates and glasses.:eek: More evidence of Modern Luxury.

I don't know if anyone remembers when people didn't carry food and drink all over the ship like it was a fast food restaurant. It really wasn't long ago that the elevators didn't smell like leftover food and drink and you could get on without having to dodge the plates and glasses.:eek: More evidence of Modern Luxury.

...or having to step over or around some food item that feel off their plate and they are too lazy to stop and clean it up! :mad:

Agree. But then there are those that will say "in a standard cabin there really is much extra space to store dirty dishes and trays". Not buying that excuse.

Just like Dragnet: "Just the facts ma'am" There isn't extra space for dirty dishes in a standard cabin. There is only a small table by the sofa and the countertops are full. Where do you suggest? If Celebrity wanted passengers to keep dirty dishes in the cabin or call for pick-up they would tell us. Feel free to call guest services to have my dishes in the hallway picked-up.

Edited by bigbeergut

Just like Dragnet: "Just the facts ma'am" There isn't extra space for dirty dishes in a standard cabin. There is only a small table by the sofa and the countertops are full. Where do you suggest? If Celebrity wanted passengers to keep dirty dishes in the cabin or call for pick-up they would tell us. Feel free to call guest services to have my dishes in the hallway picked-up.

We also stay in standard cabins. Never had a problem finding space to temporarily stash the dishes. We use the small table and vanity top. Agree nothing but just the facts, ma'am. I also agree I've never seen it published or heard what to do with dirty trays and dishes. Just take the initiative, call and ask someone.

Edited by davekathy

We also stay in standard cabins. Never had a problem finding space to temporarily stash the dishes. We use the small table and vanity top. Agree nothing but just the facts, ma'am. I also agree I've never seen it published or heard what to do with dirty trays and dishes. Just take the initiative, call and ask someone.

We've never had a problem either. Maybe it depends on the size of your order. :evilsmile: