Per Person, Per Night Rate

JerseyGirlatHeart

Realize this is subjective, but will ask any way.

Where do others draw the line on “Per Person, Per Night” rate?

Now that I am retired and have time to cruise more often, and the flexibility, was wondering where others draw the line on their per person, per night rates.

Additionally, do you figure in “cost of perks” when figuring out your rate?

Two very different real “Examples” outlined below (both AQ Class — we normally cruise AQ ... love the intimacy of Blu vs MDR and Persian Gardens.) As you can see big difference in per person, per night rate and am now questioning myself.

14 night Caribbean Cruise, tax and fees = $4980 for two. Perks supplied: Drinks $840 (we spend approx $30.00 per person, per night on drinks/coffees), $175 OBC, plus $420 prepaid gratuities. So subtracting all perks = approx $126.60 per person, per night; or without subtracting perks = $177.85 per person, per night.

7 night Bermuda tax and fees = $3580 for two. Perks supplied: Drinks $420 (figured as above), $700 OBC. So using logic above with perks, plus adding gratuities ($210) = $190.71 per person, per night; or without perks/gratuities = $255 per person, per night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For our booked cruises

Eclipse 14 Night Caribbean March 2018 Veranda CAT 2C is $140

Silhouette B2B 21 Night Caribbean March 2019 Veranda CAT 2B $175

Eclipse B2B 21 Night Hawaii Sept/Oct 2019 Veranda CAT 2B $266

All USCy PerPaxPerDay

Hawaii cruise very expensive, I will monitor for possible price drop

We figure price per person, per day by taking the amount of money paid up front divided by the number of days. You can't predict, though you can budget, what you spend on the ship, but that can vary greatly. We don't budget anything in life, we are at the point of if you see it and like it, we buy it. We do put a value on the product and go from there. Paying $50k for a car or $4k for a tv, no problem. Paying more than $140 per day, including tips and fees, not going to happen.

Paying more than $140 per day, including tips and fees, not going to happen.

How to compare if what you bought was cheap. It is to review what it costs something similar, as an example: a night of Hotel in the islands that you are going to visit, add food and entertainment. Surely it will not match what you paid for the cruise.

How to compare if what you bought was cheap. It is to review what it costs something similar, as an example: a night of Hotel in the islands that you are going to visit, add food and entertainment. Surely it will not match what you paid for the cruise.

That wasn't the question, the question pertained to cruising. If you compare make sure you are comparing apples with apples. Food and entertainment is subjective, some people love it and some thinks it's average at best. In a hotel you are free do do what you want whenever you want especially at night. On a ship your activities are limited especially if you aren't a drinker. When you compare hotels to ships make sure the room is the same size, about the size of a walk in closet with a bathroom, if you don't count the shower, is only a little bigger than one on a plane.

Hey JG,

If you look at the big picture, taking a cruise anywhere is an immense splurge for which you should be ashamed of yourself, so what difference does the pp/nite rate matter?

Choose the voyage you like most and fugeddaboudit.

Enjoy your trip.

Ira

When it comes to cost of our cruises. I look at the final number not per night.

March 2018 14 nights on Millie Hong Kong to Shanghai. We booked a S2 suite with all 4 perks with a total of $750 OBC. So the cost per night is $302 pp

Oct 2018 14 nights on Eclipse Barcelona to Barcelona. We booked a S2 suite with all 4 perks with a total of $600 OBC. So the cost per night is $313 pp.

I get a little uncomfortable if the cruise gets above $357 pp

Don't really have a budget per night although I do usually break it down that way for curiosity sake and land trip comparison. I certainly won't pay a lot of money for sea days but if the itinerary is interesting I'll up the cost that I'm comfortable with. And while I consider perks like free drinks, I also consider that on a land trip my cost would be a fraction of that so it's basically a wash.

I am quoting a very wise member from another thread.

We have a dollar per day amount that we have set for cruising. This amount includes all things related to the cruise, net of free OBC etc. (Transportation, cruise, liquor, meals, spa treatments, excursions, etc) We spend this amount on almost every cruise. If the cruise is within a short flight distance, we might fly first class or book a higher category of stateroom or book more excursions or specialty dining. So, we know what any cruise will cost us before we book. There have been a few exceptions, but we try hard to fit the experience we want within the budget.

Everyone's budgeted amount would be different, but we find we get the experience we want at a price (adjusted for inflation) that compares favorably to cruising in the past.

We do keep track of our cruise costs by figuring out a pp/night rate, but also consider that different cabin levels, itineraries and timing will impact that rate. To determine our daily rate we add the cruise cost + taxes/fees + gratuities - OBC, then divide by 2 and # nights to get our pp daily rate. We consider a drink package or internet access to be perks that we wouldn't pay for, so we don't deduct these from our cost. If they are included as a perk then that's just part of the rate. Our best cruise deal to date came from a big box TA at $134pp/night (1C veranda cabin) that included bev package + other events. Our most expensive (won't include Galapagos) was a wine cruise in the Mediterranean at $219pp (A2). We really wanted to go on this cruise. A year later we happened upon a Mem Day rate for a similar itinterary at $147pp (A2).

We look at the base price for the cruise (not including taxes and government fees, but port charges) and try to keep it at or under $100 a day per person without any perks. If we have perks included, such as beverage package and free gratuities or OBC (whichever is more), we will set the limit at $150 a day pp. If I can get even more perks or a better price, even better.

Some say that can't be done but we've used it as our guide when booking each and every cruise. If I really want to book a specific itinerary, I will splurge a little ... but not a lot above my set limits.

Now that I am retired and have time to cruise more often, and the flexibility, was wondering where others draw the line on their per person, per night rates.

Additionally, do you figure in “cost of perks” when figuring out your rate?

Two very different real “Examples” outlined below (both AQ Class — we normally cruise AQ ... love the intimacy of Blu vs MDR and Persian Gardens.) As you can see big difference in per person, per night rate and am now questioning myself.

14 night Caribbean Cruise, tax and fees = $4980 for two. Perks supplied: Drinks $840 (we spend approx $30.00 per person, per night on drinks/coffees), $175 OBC, plus $420 prepaid gratuities. So subtracting all perks = approx $126.60 per person, per night; or without subtracting perks = $177.85 per person, per night.

7 night Bermuda tax and fees = $3580 for two. Perks supplied: Drinks $420 (figured as above), $700 OBC. So using logic above with perks, plus adding gratuities ($210) = $190.71 per person, per night; or without perks/gratuities = $255 per person, per night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I look at the cost I only include the perks we would want anyhow. We would buy the drink package (when on sale) and pay tips either way. The $300 OBC will get used so I include that too. I give zero value to a free internet package because I would never buy one and wouldn't use it. Including those makes it more apples to apples. Then you need to consider the ship and itenerary. The 14 night looks like a much better deal if they are both ships, ineneraries and dates you like.

With the current sale the Celebrity cruise was less than a Royal cruise when I added the cost of the drink package to a Royal cruise. As far as where to draw the line that's really individual.

I try to stay around $100 - $120 pp per day. I don't include perks into that and the most expensive category I will book is a balcony, but if it is a port intensive or cold weather itinerary, I will book an OV.

I'm really budget minded when it comes to the Caribbean just because I've been there so many times. I look for price and perks in that part of the world and I always try to stay under $100 pp per day for a balcony.

Maybe we are unusual, (a polite euphemism for weird :halo:), but we don't even bother to figure the "per person, per night" rate.

What we care about is the itinerary, the ship, and the "bottom line" (i.e., the total cost).

We are willing to pay a lot more for one cruise than for another of the same length, and to book different level stateroom accommodations for different cruises, for varying reasons.

This means that we do indeed "draw the line" very subjectively, as you state, but at our perceived total value of the cruise to us at that time.

We look at the base price for the cruise (not including taxes and government fees, but port charges) and try to keep it at or under $100 a day per person without any perks. If we have perks included, such as beverage package and free gratuities or OBC (whichever is more), we will set the limit at $150 a day pp. If I can get even more perks or a better price, even better.

Some say that can't be done but we've used it as our guide when booking each and every cruise. If I really want to book a specific itinerary, I will splurge a little ... but not a lot above my set limits.

That's what we do. And they ARE out there. Last year we snagged RC 12 day Hawaiian cruise to Vancouver $1118 base, inside. Off the ship everyday in HI and then enjoyed the ship during sea days. Loved every minute of it. If perks are included I just subtract value to check. We are near San Diego so we also shop itineraries close at hand.