Live Machu Picchu (pre cruise), Mariner Lima to Buenos Aires 23 Jan -13 February

WesW

safe travels Wes (and Ida :-) ) Looking forward reading about the trip. We tried to do the same a couple years back, but had to cut out trip short due to a family emergency (travel insurance sure helps). Machu Picchu is still on our list of places to visit. Drink lots of water...that helps with the altitude. All the best

Looking forward to your posts since we board Mariner on Feb 25 for the Rio to Barcelona cruise - our first on Regent so we have lots to learn about this line and Regent overall. Any info you share will be great especially anything about dancing opportunities onboard (we love to dance and have abandoned several other lines as they had so little dance time...our fingers are crossed that we’ll have some dance times on Mariner).

If you have time to post a few instructions on posting photos to CC it will be greatly appreciated. They add so much interest!

Bon voyage!

Thanks also for the cruise well wishes RallyDave, Franzr, Carnevale, and Boatman's lady. Dave--thanks again for the Kuoda Travel recommendation.

Boatman's lady, please see some photo posting instructions below. My fav option to save download time is using the app TapaTalk. You can use tapatalk to post photos on cruise critic with your smart phone or tablet (I prefer Iphone and Ipad) You can also use the cruisecritic forums app (very, very similar to Tapatalk. I just prefer Tapatalk)

1. Download Tapatalk app from your google play or app store (free version).

2. Open the cruisecritic thread you're interested in posting words/photos.

3. At the left of "Write a reply" is a circle with a + in it--touch this icon.

4.Touch the second icon with grey icon with two small mountains in the icon.

5. Press done on the selected photo.

6. You will have three photo sizes to select from (Best, Medium, Small) recommend Medium unless

download speed is slow, then select small.

7. When download is finished a script will appear in the reply box that begins with IMG....and ends with IMG

8. You can put up to five photos in one reply if you choose or just one.

Like to write words (Caption) first before I press the circle with + to load photo.

Do a practice run at this cruise critic thread, also this thread has useful how-to post photos posts too.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741&page=66

Let me know if u have any ? please.

If you do not use App's TLCOhio has provided wonderful posting photo instructions using a third party site (use to use this technique, but now Photobuckett charges you to post and this process takes more time.

YourFIRST STEPis pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc.SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc.THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop.FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would,FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below.You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

Thanks also for the cruise well wishes RallyDave, Franzr, Carnevale, and Boatman's lady. Dave--thanks again for the Kuoda Travel recommendation.

Boatman's lady, please see some photo posting instructions below. My fav option to save download time is using the app TapaTalk. You can use tapatalk to post photos on cruise critic with your smart phone or tablet (I prefer Iphone and Ipad) You can also use the cruisecritic forums app (very, very similar to Tapatalk. I just prefer Tapatalk)

6. You will have three photo sizes to select from (Best, Medium, Small) recommend Medium unless

7. When download is finished a script will appear in the reply box that begins with IMG....and ends with IMG

Like to write words (Caption) first before I press the circle with + to load photo.

Do a practice run at this cruise critic thread, also this thread has useful how-to post photos posts too.

Wes. Thank you for taking the time to share how to add photo's.

When we take our first trip with Regent next January, I'm hoping to do a report as it will also be from a Brit's point of view and I hope to be of some use to other Brit's with things like the included Air and included hotel stays owing to the flight and time zone differences.

I have squirreled your info away as Tapatalk isn't something I was familiar with until joining this board.

So until then, I will 'join' you on your amazing trip and 'be' there with you, through your words and photos.

If you do not use App's TLCOhio has provided wonderful posting photo instructions using a third party site (use to use this technique, but now Photobuckett charges you to post and this process takes more time.

YourFIRST STEPis pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc.SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc.THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop.FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would,FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below.You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

Thanks for the great information Wes! I have downloaded Tapatalk so I’m ready for our cruise in April.

Wes and Ida: I just started reading your thread and it sounds as if you are about to embark on a truly wonderful trip. Looking forward to your comments and pics. Have a great time and be safe.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boatman's Lady, gjkov; your very welcome. Recommend you use the cruise critic photo thread and practice posting some snaps before your cruise. Bet you become comfortable using Tapatalk quickly.

Rj2002, Zqueeze1; thanks for your voyage well wishes and safe travel wishes. Roberto (and Pam) yes--we feel this voyage hits the sweet spots in South America (Machu Picchu, Chilean Fjords, Ushuaia, and the Falklands--we have been to Buenos Aires before--why we will disembark a day early.

Tonight we begin to medicate with Diamox to help prevent altitude sickness. Thanks to all who have warned us of the side effects; Champagne, Perrier will taste awful. However, better poor taste then excruciating head aches.

Hopefully, NJbelle will soon post--this is Eric and Janice's first day in the Sacred Valley, Peru.

Hello from the Sacred Valley!

Eric and I arrived in Lima two nights ago and were happy to be at the Wyndham Costa del Sol which is literally across a street from the airport. So easy. But we were tired after a long day and did not even go to the bar for our complimentary pisco sours! After a so-so nights sleep, we were up early for our flight to Cusco. All went well and we were picked up by Kuoda, our travel company for this trip. We headed toward the Sacred Valley, stopping at a smalll village along Lake Piuray (Kuoda helps the village by supporting the school and in other ways). The women of the village are weaving masters and we enjoyed seeing them demonstrate their talents. We also enjoyed seeing the Inca ruins at Moray. In the small town of Maras, we had a fantastic lunch with a couple who has built a small organic garden within their beautiful property overlooking the Andes. Then we saw the iconic salt pans carved into the mountainside. This is the rainy season and it did start raining by this time. We were happy to be deposited at our beautiful hotel, Tambo del Inka for the evening and night.

Let me talk about the food for a bit. Eric and I love to try new foods and ways of cooking foods. Our hotel has a lovely restaurant where we enjoyed local musicians while we dined on food from their organic garden and other local produce. Everything was so fresh and healthy! We had a local Peruvian wine - and I will say that it was not as good as Chilean or Argentinian wine we have had, it was pretty good and we do like to drink local. And today, I had quinoa for the 5th time in about 24 hours- in a risotto at lunch yesterday, then a salad at dinner, in a soup at dinner, then in a muffin this morning. At lunch, it was in my soup again! I am fiber-filled and doing great with this altitude! Maybe that is a new routine to deal with altitude sickness - quinoa! You heard it here first.

Today, we enjoyed fabulous weather. It was supposed to rain, but only did at the end of the day for just a bit. We went to the weekly market in Urubamba and we were definitely the only tourists there. I took tons of pictures and will post a few when Wes gives me a lesson

We also went to Ollantaytambo to see the Inca ancient town. Fascinating! Then we had brief break for a guinea pig snack. Yes, we did. There is a whole little villlage of cuyerias, where they vie for eaters. I am sure that we went to the best one - we had it roasted over coals, with head and little paws intact. It was delicious- and does not taste like chicken! Don’t tell my sister - we had them as pets growing up....

We also saw Pisac, Incan ruins with an unbelievable series of terraces. The views were incredible and I will post pictures later. We also visited the market in town and picked up a couple of souvenirs.

That’s all for now. Got to get ready for our early pickup for Machu Picchu in the morning!

Edited by NJBelle
spelling

Then we had brief break for a guinea pig snack. Yes, we did. There is a whole little villlage of cuyerias, where they vie for eaters. I am sure that we went to the best one - we had it roasted over coals, with head and little paws intact. It was delicious- and does not taste like chicken! Don’t tell my sister - we had them as pets growing up....

My dad was a bio-chemist so we had a guinea pig as a pet as well. I thought of Pinky when we were in the Sacred Valley but did not have any.

NJBelle, looking forward to further posts and photos!!

NJBelle/Janice & Eric, thanks for updating us your wonderful Peru adventure. Until I help u learn how to post photos (btw, your Sacred Valley photos on Facebook were outstanding, especially the one with Eric and you wearing the traditional Sacred Valley/Peruvian clothes and particularly the sharp looking hats). In the meantime, if you would like me to post a few of your photos from your FB page, happy to.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NJBelle’s (Janice & Eric) wonderful Sacred Valley photos she would like to share—their joy/wonder just pops out of the first snap:

f3809d3d156218ba4e86e466198cbdcf.jpg

1e048babd8b17b27f2d1953f254fbcfb.jpg

3dd9e774d19a0b22e80aa7286afb3535.jpg

3c29c40248dd24a5977a0fccd4bd1b39.jpg

My dad was a bio-chemist so we had a guinea pig as a pet as well. I thought of Pinky when we were in the Sacred Valley but did not have any.

NJBelle, looking forward to further posts and photos!!

Sorry to go off-thread but this post intrigued me. NCCruzQueen, please explain the cause-effect relationship of a bio-chemist father and a guinea pig pet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to go off-thread but this post intrigued me. NCCruzQueen, please explain the cause-effect relationship of a bio-chemist father and a guinea pig pet.

Jeb -bud,

Sorry I was unclear in my post. Dad would bring home the control guinea pigs and mice from the experiments at work. They became our pets. My brother and I also used control mice for most of our science experiments at school.

We’ve checked in to the stunning Belmont Hotel Monasterio. This original monastery was built in 1585. Please enjoy a few photos of the Monasterio’s gorgeous courtyard. Thanks to Kuoda Travel we were upgraded to most beautiful suite we have yet stayed at—pls see suite snaps below. Thanks to Jason our Kuoda Travel Personal host while we are visiting Cusco, we are having lunch at Cicciolina one of Cusco’s most popular restaurants before heading out on our afternoon tour of this beautiful city with tons of character.

cb212df857f65e1574f3ecb0247b4747.jpg

2406b71074d146446b676550040a6aa5.jpg

ecf2c0962ce49013c14a1c964bbd0074.jpg

66d9f198cfaa6542beec46425952d8b6.jpg

5119f94af1fa3716fb9384368d389515.jpg

1c77735076578ecd70918505afac2933.jpg