Port of Seward, sniffer dogs?

kingstonKouple72

We will be embarking from Seward this summer....

Anyone know if the port of Seward has sniffer dogs?

Alaska has legal cannabis and there are stores that sell edibles. I appreciate that this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I ask those whose natural reaction is to respond with "MJ is evil and/or illegal" successfully fight that urge. I'm not looking to smoke anything. That would be disruptive, even for me (we vape rather than combust). Eating brownies or gummies won't affect anyone, including the puritans.

Thanks.

We will be embarking from Seward this summer....

Anyone know if the port of Seward has sniffer dogs?

Alaska has legal cannabis and there are stores that sell edibles. I appreciate that this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I ask those whose natural reaction is to respond with "MJ is evil and/or illegal" successfully fight that urge. I'm not looking to smoke anything. That would be disruptive, even for me (we vape rather than combust). Eating brownies or gummies won't affect anyone, including the puritans.

Thanks.

Interesting.

If the edibles are legal in AK, and if you are of age to purchase, and you keep your purchase within the allowable limit. I believe the only option the cruise line would have is confiscation?

You would obviously be within State Law but is there some sort of supersceding Federal complaint that could be made at the port if the cruise line sussed it out. i.e is the port itself subjuct to Federal Jurisdiciton?

The cruise line is a private entity and while they probably have their rules against the crazy weed, what is their protocol if they were to find it?

Time to go digging through contracts and code books.

You would obviously be within State Law but is there some sort of supersceding Federal complaint that could be made at the port if the cruise line sussed it out. i.e is the port itself subjuct to Federal Jurisdiciton?

International port = TSA & Customs, both Fed.

The only sniffer dogs I saw last summer were in Vancouver and then they were mostly concentrating on crew, not passengers. I am only familiar with Princess, but cannabis was never mentioned on board, nothing was said about bringing it back on in ports, and no one was searched coming on board except for the usual run the bag through the scanner. I talked to a few passengers near the shop in Ketchikan last summer who indicated that they had visited the store and that they considered the availability of cannabis one of the reasons they were enjoying their Alaska cruise more that summer (there are also nearby stores in Juneau and Skagway). Obviously, you can enjoy your purchases in port before embarking on the ship. Smoking or vaping on the ship would not be allowed under the current tobacco policies but I doubt anyone would stop you or say anything were you to bring edibles back on board. The policy seems to be that if you don't talk about it, they won't do anything about it. This may change this summer with the recent federal policy changes, but as far as the State of Alaska is concerned you are perfectly legal. The "Stroke and Toke" kayak shore excursion may be a few years off yet, and the cruise lines may have to deal with the US Coast Guard policy of no drugs on board, but at the moment they seem to be ignoring the whole issue. As stated above, it is illegal to fly out of state with cannabis in your possession.