Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

Do they give you any flak for wearing shorts on non formal nights?

I have never seen anyone denied entry into the MDR...others may have.

However, prepare yourself for the onslaught of comments along the lines of "There is no such think are dress shorts." :D

My 23 year old son wore cargo shorts with a nice shirt to the main dining room every night but formal night and no one ever said a word. I did tell him that I was pretty sure shorts weren't supposed to be worn but he really didn't care what I thought lol.

Since you brought it up, I will tell you our experience. We were just on the June 24th sailing on the Adventure of the Seas. A family, kids and adults, decided to show up to the main dining room, ON FORMAL NIGHT, wearing cargo shorts and t-shirts. They were not stopped. When we asked a hostess about the lack of enforcement of the dress code, she replied that the guest might complain that the staff member was rude and that management will not support the staff member. Instead, they will get a letter in their file. I don't expect anyone to wear suits but put on a pair of long pants, or, go back to Carnival.

I have seen men in shorts turned away from MDR and asked to put on long pant's or go to the Buffet. I would read up on dress on the RCCL website and follow what they say.

Didn't Royal change the dress code to allow shorts in MDR? On our recent Oasis cruise their were a lot of people wearing them. We were next to a table of 4 all wearing shorts. They were complaining how cruising has changed. In my humble opinion, if you want to go to dinner in shorts, stay home it's cheaper. If you want to dress like you are going to TGI Fridays, expect to be feed like TGI Friday.

Didn't Royal change the dress code to allow shorts in MDR? On our recent Oasis cruise their were a lot of people wearing them. We were next to a table of 4 all wearing shorts. They were complaining how cruising has changed. In my humble opinion, if you want to go to dinner in shorts, stay home it's cheaper. If you want to dress like you are going to TGI Fridays, expect to be feed like TGI Friday.

It seemed like Royal published a new dress code that allowed shorts in the MDR, but within a day they had retracted it.

If you want to go to dinner in a suit jacket, it's cheaper to stay home as well.

Men in shorts is bad but women is dresses cut above the knees is not? Be consistent please! :p Ultimately, the legs are underneath the table so should not even be visible to you unless you are actively looking for them.

As a general rule, millennials, do not LOOK for a reason to be upset.

Adventure does (did) make announcements every night that shorts were not allowed. While I have seen folks turned away on rare occasion I have also seen plenty of people served without one word from staff.

1. I don't think the cruise line should list "no xxxx" if they aren't going to enforce.

2. While the "dress" is "suggested", you should be willing to follow the "suggestion" or go to another venue that is more appropriate for your chosen attire. That is the nice reason to have options for dinner!

3. You can't just "not look" because you might be seated at a table at the entrance to the MDR and not have a choice of what you see!:) (Had this experience and wow did we see a lot of folks that chose to ignore "suggested"!

We even once heard a lady state...."wow...they are seating us in a corner like we aren't dressed right or something"! I was reading the menu but when I heard her comment as she was walking by I looked up. Yep....I would have seated her in the corner also. Tattered blue jeans and a tee-shirt.

I don't have a problem of folks not wearing a tux or sequins. If your "land life" doesn't require such attire then no need to spend $ for those type clothes to wear once. However, your "land attire" probably includes other clothing that would be quite acceptable within the "suggested attire" range. Even if you are a "beach bum/bunny", "ski bum/bunny", "surf bum/bunny" you most likely own at least one pair of long pants. Put them on or find a different dinner venue.

Adventure does (did) make announcements every night that shorts were not allowed. While I have seen folks turned away on rare occasion I have also seen plenty of people served without one word from staff.

1. I don't think the cruise line should list "no xxxx" if they aren't going to enforce.

2. While the "dress" is "suggested", you should be willing to follow the "suggestion" or go to another venue that is more appropriate for your chosen attire. That is the nice reason to have options for dinner!

3. You can't just "not look" because you might be seated at a table at the entrance to the MDR and not have a choice of what you see!:) (Had this experience and wow did we see a lot of folks that chose to ignore "suggested"!

We even once heard a lady state...."wow...they are seating us in a corner like we aren't dressed right or something"! I was reading the menu but when I heard her comment as she was walking by I looked up. Yep....I would have seated her in the corner also. Tattered blue jeans and a tee-shirt.

I don't have a problem of folks not wearing a tux or sequins. If your "land life" doesn't require such attire then no need to spend $ for those type clothes to wear once. However, your "land attire" probably includes other clothing that would be quite acceptable within the "suggested attire" range. Even if you are a "beach bum/bunny", "ski bum/bunny", "surf bum/bunny" you most likely own at least one pair of long pants. Put them on or find a different dinner venue.

Your # 3....Is a quick glance as they pass quickly by you going to ruin your dinner :confused:

I tend to look at my table mate not at everyone entering the dining room...JMHO but sad you're spending your dinner time assessing those that may have "ignored the suggested" nightly dress or whether they should be relegated to eating elsewhere in your opinion.

Hopefully you'll ask to not be seated near the dining room entrance on your future RCI cruise's or choose a cruiseline more in step with your needs and comforts ... after all it's a vacation....relax and enjoy :D

And by the same token, swimsuits should be fine for the MDR.

Taking this a bit far with that comment aren't we :eek:...We're not talking about swimwear but glad you got your 2 cents into this :rolleyes:

Taking this a bit far with that comment aren't we :eek:...We're not talking about swimwear but glad you got your 2 cents into this :rolleyes:

What if it's nice swimwear?;)

Not really. Every argument in favor of shorts in the MDR equally supports swimsuits in the MDR or even full nudity.

1. It's hot in the Caribbean!

2. It's my vacation, I'll wear what I want!

3. Just ignore whatever anyone else is wearing!

4. If you're that upset about what other people are wearing, them problem is you, not them!

We see these arguments raised all the time on these boards. If one accepts these arguments, there is no valid reason why one wouldn't also accept swimsuits in the MDR.

At the end of the day, however, it's irrelevant. RCI doesn't bother to enforce its "suggestions" in 99.9% of cases. Thus, there is no MDR dress code on RCI.

Not really. Every argument in favor of shorts in the MDR equally supports swimsuits in the MDR or even full nudity.

1. It's hot in the Caribbean!

2. It's my vacation, I'll wear what I want!

3. Just ignore whatever anyone else is wearing!

4. If you're that upset about what other people are wearing, them problem is you, not them!

We see these arguments raised all the time on these boards. If one accepts these arguments, there is no valid reason why one wouldn't also accept swimsuits in the MDR.

At the end of the day, however, it's irrelevant. RCI doesn't bother to enforce its "suggestions" in 99.9% of cases. Thus, there is no MDR dress code on RCI.

:rolleyes:

Every so often someone takes a pretty good argument, takes it a step too far and their whole point is wasted.