Queen Elizabeth - Canary Islands

_kerry_

We are platinum members but have only traveled on QM 2. We will be joining QE on her canary holiday trip.

Do you have any insight (Good/bad) about QE vs QM 2 ?

Any recommendations on Canary Island excursions / activities ?

Thanks for any information.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

QE is much smaller than QM2 but very easy to find your way around. The Lido is also much nicer than Kings Court. The theatre is a million times better than on QM2 no still bench seating and much better sight lines.

If you have not done it before I recommend Mount Teide in Tenerife.

I agree with Lanky Lad regarding the theatre and the Lido. I also think the Commodore Club is better laid out, with the piano in a central location in front of the bar and more tables for two, which are directly positioned besides the windows. On QM2, it's mostly tables with 4 chairs and they are set further back. However, on QM2, there is a choice of 3 hot canapés served directly from a large platter whereas on QE, you are presented with 4 canapés, two meat/fish and two vegetarian on a small plate (assuming nothing has changed since I was last on her in September 2016).

I personally also prefer the Britannia Restaurant on QE, which is lighter and has tables for two by the windows.

I do think QM2's outdoor decks are nicer, with the teak decking and you also get a handheld shower in Britannia staterooms: on QE it's a fixed head. However, I think storage (cupboards, drawers) are better in the QE staterooms. Overall, QE gets my vote (I recently posted a review of my fjords cruise on QM2 this July, in which I compared and contrasted both ships).

As for the itinerary, I'd recommend excursions which take you out of the port area to explore some of the natural beauty of the islands. Not sure which ones you are visiting, but last September there was a trip to the national park in La Palma, which took us to view the Caldera Taburiente and in Gran Canaria, we hiked down into and consequently up out of, the Caldera Bandama. Both excursions had high activity levels and the volcano hike in Gran Canaria was slippery on the way down and steep on the way up - and it was also very hot! I therefore only recommend it to sure footed, fit people who can cope in the heat!

If you are also visiting Madeira, the cable ride to Monte is worth doing - it's easily something you can do yourself without taking a ship tour.

Hope you have a great trip!