BSO deputies hospitalized after boat collides with cruise ship (Oosterdam)

dobiemom

(I didn't see this posted yet. I hope the deputies are OK.)

Two BSO deputies were taken to a hospital after a patrol boat collided with a cruise ship in Port Everglades Harbor, Saturday.

The deputies were aboard a Port Everglades Harbor Patrol boat when a mechanical failure caused it to crash into a Holland American Oosterdam at around 4:30 p.m., according to police.

The deputies were transported to Broward Health Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

Damage to the ship appeared superficial, but the ship’s departure has been delayed until an inspection has been completed by the Coast Guard.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/bso-deputies-hospitalized-after-boat-collides-with-cruise-ship/amp/

I'm glad to hear that the deputies are okay. It's ironic to think that one of the the BSO boats tasked with keeping boaters away from shipping actually ran into a ship. You probably can't pick it up on the webcam, but in person you can hear law enforcement yelling at recreational boaters almost every day.

(I didn't see this posted yet. I hope the deputies are OK.)

Two BSO deputies were taken to a hospital after a patrol boat collided with a cruise ship in Port Everglades Harbor, Saturday.

The deputies were aboard a Port Everglades Harbor Patrol boat when a mechanical failure caused it to crash into a Holland American Oosterdam at around 4:30 p.m., according to police.

The deputies were transported to Broward Health Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

Damage to the ship appeared superficial, but the ship’s departure has been delayed until an inspection has been completed by the Coast Guard.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/bso-deputies-hospitalized-after-boat-collides-with-cruise-ship/amp/

Oosterdam left FLL about 8pm last night.

Thanks, dobiemomn and joekerstef, for the info.

We left Fort Lauderdale about 4-1/2 hours late. They ran pretty much wide open all night and the following day to get to Amber Cove on time. Between the headwind and the ship's speed it was nearly impossible to open the door to the Observation Deck above the Crow's Nest.

We left Fort Lauderdale about 4-1/2 hours late. They ran pretty much wide open all night and the following day to get to Amber Cove on time. Between the headwind and the ship's speed it was nearly impossible to open the door to the Observation Deck above the Crow's Nest.

We had a cabana rented in the Retreat area for the week. It was impossible to use on the first sea day due to the conditions you mentioned. Once we finally managed to get the door open, the winds were brutal up there! My wife took a couple of photos of me where the wind is trying to rip my shirt off!

We had a "Wave Request" scheduled with the webcam. We had an early dining reservation, so we finally gave up on the sailaway. Dinner was finished and we realized we still hadn't left, so we went to our balcony. Of course, it was dark by this time and I had no idea if the webcam was still following us. I pulled out my iPhone and repeatedly turned the flashlight on and off. I watched the replay of the video once we got home and sure enough, you could see my flashlight. I wasn't about to let darkness spoil my webcam fun :)

It was interesting to listen to the captain talk about the accident during his Q&A session on Sunday. He really didn't have any more details than what is posted here, other than the massive amount of paperwork involved. Then the coast guard got involved and had to inspect our ship for damage, to which he kind of chuckled and said there wasn't much worry there when a small, aluminum boat collides with a massive, steel cruise ship. The BSO boat hit the bow of the ship and we were in cabin 5002, which is all the way forward. We never heard anything unusual. Their small boat didn't stand a chance against the Oosterdam.

We were on that sailing and I several of us heard a loud noise near the end of Muster Drill.

It wasn't until several minutes past posted Sailaway time that we learned what had happened.

We were unable to hear the announcements.

Thankful that our cruise went as planned.