Zip Line Charge!

sidari

A guy called Barrie who is onboard Seaside right now has posted on FB that the daily paper says that you now have to pay $10 pp single use to use the Zip line or $50 for the unlimited cruise pass valid for all guests staying in the same state room! He posted the daily to prove it.

A guy called Barrie who is onboard Seaside right now has posted on FB that the daily paper says that you now have to pay $10 pp single use to use the Zip line or $50 for the unlimited cruise pass valid for all guests staying in the same state room! He posted the daily to prove it.

wow.. not good...

That's pretty sad really. Carnival charges nothing for the Sky Ride on Vista, NCL doesn't charge for their excellent ropes course on the Escape, and Royal doesn't charge for their zip line or Ultimate Abyss attractions. MSC seems to be really trying hard to turn people away. The reviews for Seaside have been marginal at best, and this just seems like another poor decision by MSC management.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't imagine how they need to charge for crowd control. Oasis holds 1,000 more people than Seaside and has only one line and not two - and they don't have to charge. They control crowds for ice skating by giving people tickets with a time slot - still no need to charge. No charge for flow riding - even though it is popular and people sometimes have to wait an hour or more for their turn to surf.

They are going completely against industry standard by charging for zip line, if it is confirmation they are charging for slide board as well, they need to release that information and be upfront and honest in their advertising.

Bait and switch is never a good idea, especially for a cruise line trying to gain a foothold in North America.

Sometimes I have to wonder how this happens. Is someone over at MSC headquarters in Switzerland sitting in a chair making random decisions? Lets start charging for the zip line today!

Bait and switch is never a good idea, especially for a cruise line trying to gain a foothold in North America.

Sometimes I have to wonder how this happens. Is someone over at MSC headquarters in Switzerland sitting in a chair making random decisions? Lets start charging for the zip line today!

So far this ship has been nothing but bait and switch. Pretty much nothing I received in writing in my initial booking is turning up to be true for my cruise. I'm REALLY trying to keep an open mind and wait until I am on board because sometimes things do improve, but it is proving more and more difficult.

I doubt very much it is any random decisions. I'm sure someone planned all along to increase revenue via this and other new charges.

So far this ship has been nothing but bait and switch. Pretty much nothing I received in writing in my initial booking is turning up to be true for my cruise. I'm REALLY trying to keep an open mind and wait until I am on board because sometimes things do improve, but it is proving more and more difficult.

I know the feeling, but keep an open mind as much as possible until you sail. Hopefully it's awesome. MSC sure does make it hard though. This is just the kind of crap they pull that turns people off to them. They are just not as polished, organized, and professional as other lines. Some things just seem so arbitrary and they lose credibility. Still there is something about them I'm attracted to, and I still love the look and design of SEASIDE. All this commotion actually makes me a bit more excited to sail on her, just to see what all the fuss is about for myself ... and to see if things are really that bad or if people are just being dramatic or overly critical (which happens a lot on CC).

This reminds me of the Margaritaville venue on NCL Escape. It was always billed as free until it was overwhelmed on the transatlantic, so NCL implemented a charge once the ship started sailing from Miami. They're still trying to figure out how to get people to use the facility as it's a ghost town now for most of the cruise. Perhaps MSC will find a solution, but at $10 I will not be trying it. Maybe it will be free on the first day for YC guests like Margaritaville is for the Haven.

I doubt very much it is any random decisions. I'm sure someone planned all along to increase revenue via this and other new charges.

Can you give examples of what you received in writing in your booking that your are not receiving for your cruise?

This reminds me of the Margaritaville venue on NCL Escape. It was always billed as free until it was overwhelmed on the transatlantic, so NCL implemented a charge once the ship started sailing from Miami. They're still trying to figure out how to get people to use the facility as it's a ghost town now for most of the cruise. Perhaps MSC will find a solution, but at $10 I will not be trying it. Maybe it will be free on the first day for YC guests like Margaritaville is for the Haven.

Yup. I was on the ESCAPE inaugural crossing. I thought the food at Margaritaville was crap and was glad it was free. I certainly wouldn't pay for it and I'm glad many people are not. I've also heard it's a ghost town since they started charging. Such as shame, as I loved the space on GETAWAY before they turned it into a Margaritaville. Unfortunately it will still be on the new NORWEGIAN BLISS. I'm sure NCL has a licensing agreement with the Margaritaville organization for a certain number of years, just like they did Nickelodeon.

Celebrity has tried a few of these stupid charges and at least they have backed down.

If you don't know just recently they tried to "upgrade" their burger bar to "kobe style" burger and $10 hot dogs.

At least they recognized they made a mistake and withdrew this new charge.

Wonder if MSC would ever do an about face like that?

Lines try things like this every so often. It amazes me at the amount of anger that is geared toward them. I really can,t complain especially for the price we pad in Yacht Club would be well over double in the haven. There is your $10 zip line charge!! I love coming to this site, but the amount of negativity is amazing. If you are frustrated with MSC take your money elsewhere.

Lines try things like this every so often. It amazes me at the amount of anger that is geared toward them. I really can,t complain especially for the price we pad in Yacht Club would be well over double in the haven. There is your $10 zip line charge!! I love coming to this site, but the amount of negativity is amazing. If you are frustrated with MSC take your money elsewhere.

I posted reviews in another post of my New Years cruise on the seaside I just returned from today, if this is true I just have to ask the rhetorical question, what the heck is wrong with MSC? They hyped the Seaside so well I bought into it and sailed her and was not impressed with the food and overcrowding issues and now they may start adding charges after people booked based on the free recreation they kept hyping?

By the way I did not see an unreasonable long line for the Zip Line all week so I’m my opinion it’s definatrly not for crowd control reasons.

I posted reviews in another post of my New Years cruise on the seaside I just returned from today, if this is true I just have to ask the rhetorical question, what the heck is wrong with MSC? They hyped the Seaside so well I bought into it and sailed her and was not impressed with the food and overcrowding issues and now they may start adding charges after people booked based on the free recreation they kept hyping?

By the way I did not see an unreasonable long line for the Zip Line all week so I’m my opinion it’s definatrly not for crowd control reasons.

And the sad thing is that’s it’s a beautiful,ship with hardworking staff....it’s the bad management decisions on food choices and things like this that are keeping Seaside from shining.

Sadly we are in the minority.

I know I paid much less on Seaside than I would have on RCCL or Celebrity. With the price savings, I have no issue paying for the specialty dining or the $50 zipline charge (if that means I would not have to stand in line for 90 minutes to get my turn!).

When I try to tell my friends and family about MSC, I tell them that it is an "a la carte" type of cruise line. If you don't like that and feel you are being nickled dimed, then go pay for the "all inclusive" on other cruise lines at a much higher rate.