Snorkel Aruba?

What was that?

We'll be on Aruba Friday, 16 March - for 10 hours - after passing thru the Panama Canal on the Oosterdam.

I am wondering if we can just get off the boat and walk to a beach? According to Google Maps, it kinda looks like that's unrealistic, so I'll have to sign up for a snorkel excursion, unless someone can advise me otherwise.

TIA

We did a snorkel trip to the sunken vessel out there, and I have to say it was cold water and bad visibility, not a lot to see. Wear a wetsuit or rashguard for some extra protection. Maybe it was just the conditions that day.

We also had a blast renting the 2-person go-kart like dune buggies which headed over the mountain and came back along the sand dunes. It was a long excursion making it worth the price and a fun way to see Aruba.

Top it off with a Porterhouse steak at El Gaucho (reservations recommended) steakhouse, one of the finest steaks I've ever enjoyed.

One of our favorite destinations.

There's a thread on the Aruba board, called something like "Everything you wanted to know about beaches" or similar. The Aruba board is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=168

There's also a Scuba and Snorkeling board here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=40

And TripAdvisor has loads of information too. :)

We did a snorkel trip to the sunken vessel out there, and I have to say it was cold water and bad visibility, not a lot to see. Wear a wetsuit or rashguard for some extra protection. Maybe it was just the conditions that day.

I agree with JRG: Our snorkel over the wreck was not enjoyable, poor visibility, very cool water, too deep to see anything much of the wreck, lots of boats and snorkelers, chaotic. But then we were taken to a dock for lunch and to a place where we were able to snorkel off the beach... the beach snorkel was quite memorable!

We were in shallow water with schools of silvery fish swimming around us; each school was one size of fish - all were 3 inches, or all were 5 inches, etc. They swam around us as if we were island in the sea and it was thrilling. Some of our group saw octopus, flat fish and beautiful colored fish. I'd recommend inquiring about snorkeling from a beach. Enjoy! m--

I agree with JRG: Our snorkel over the wreck was not enjoyable, poor visibility, very cool water, too deep to see anything much of the wreck, lots of boats and snorkelers, chaotic. But then we were taken to a dock for lunch and to a place where we were able to snorkel off the beach... the beach snorkel was quite memorable!

We were in shallow water with schools of silvery fish swimming around us; each school was one size of fish - all were 3 inches, or all were 5 inches, etc. They swam around us as if we were island in the sea and it was thrilling. Some of our group saw octopus, flat fish and beautiful colored fish. I'd recommend inquiring about snorkeling from a beach. Enjoy! m--

Do you know what beach you went too? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

It might just be the conditions on the day you were there. We took a Catamaran snorkel excursion several years back. We ended up at the wreck, Anguilla. There were thousands of colorful fish. There were also hundreds of people from different excursions. Our experience in the Caribbean is that the conditions are rougher in Jan & Feb.

We'll be on Aruba Friday, 16 March - for 10 hours - after passing thru the Panama Canal on the Oosterdam.

I am wondering if we can just get off the boat and walk to a beach? According to Google Maps, it kinda looks like that's unrealistic, so I'll have to sign up for a snorkel excursion, unless someone can advise me otherwise.

TIA

No, there is no beach you can walk to from which there is decent snorkeling. The best beach for snorkeling is Arashi (nearby Boca Catalina also gives access to the same area) which is about a 25 minute bus ride (the 10a) from town (across the street from the cruise port) or a taxi ride. Arashi is located past Palm Beach and within sight of the Lighthouse. Some will also suggest that Baby Beach is an option, be we were completely underwhelmed at the snorkel opportunities at Baby. And Baby Beach is difficult to access unless you have a rental car.

Just a warning. Snorkeling off Arashi (or Boca Catalina) involves swimming some distance...which means one should have decent fins and some experience. And you will need your own equipment. Otherwise, you can book various boat snorkel tours...many of which will bring you to the same reef area you can access from Arashi.

Hank

That wreck is in very deep water and has a nasty current. You can see the divers 50 or 60 feet below you. The crew members on the anchored boats spend a lot of time rescuing snorkelers that are drifting out to sea. Not a safety issue, just too much work.

The best place we ever snorkeled there was off the south end of the main runway (Runway Beach). About two feet of absolutely clear water, nice coral and nose to nose with a lot of fish, even octopi. We had a ship excursion there, but other folks arrived by cab. The tour operator also brought in folks by bus from town so you can likely find locals that do shore snorkeling with an internet search.

There are a couple of rocky points near Palm and Eagle Beach (bus 10/10A/10B) but not that great snorkeling. As with anything near a beach water tends to be murky. Same with DePalm Island excursions.

For the OP, you can walk to the beaches north of the pier, but you have to walk about 3/4 mile around the cargo port. Have done it, but so much easier to walk across the street to the bus terminal and take a bus. Was $2.40US last we went but they do take several currencies. Only place we have ever been where you can pay on a bus and get change.

Taking the bus to one of the beaches north of town is the way to go if you want to snorkel. The bus station is across the street from the port (it has a Pizza Hut sign on it) and you can buy a "Retour" card for $5 there at a kiosk--good for round trip ride. If you don't buy the card, it may be a little more each way and, if you get change, it will be in florins. Take the 10A bus to Arashi or Boca Catalina (our favorite spot). Arashi is the end of the line but ask the driver when to get off if you want to go to Boca Catalina. If it is a long wait for the 10A, you can take the 10 to Malmok and walk north for a short distance to Boca Catalina or farther to Arashi. Bus schedules: http://arubus.com/schedules/

If you don't want to have to swim a long way in deep water to see anything, enter at Boca Catalina and swim to the right. There is a sandy entry and you will see fish right away. On decently calm days, you can swim in the shallow waters of Catalina Cove where there is plenty to see. Or, you can swim out to where the Catamarans make one of their stops and watch them feed the fish--when it is calm this is not difficult and I did it without fins (I am not talking about swimming to the wreck--that's crazy, though 2 guys in our group did it). These same areas can be accessed from Arashi, it is just a longer swim. The shallower areas at both beaches is now roped off so you don't have to worry about watercraft running you down. There is shade available with Palapas and trees and sometimes the chair rental guy is there. The only down side is that there are no facilities. Arashi has a place to rent gear, buy drinks and snacks and a pay restroom.

I'm curious about how to get to Runway beach--I've never read about it before and don't see a beach on the map just south of the runway. It sounds interesting.

Aruba has an excellent local bus - one direction takes you out to all the large hotels and the other dirction takes you out to where the locals live - if you go to the end of that more remote direction you can connect to another bus (or walk) to "Baby's Beach" which had good snorkeling reports and a much more laid back atmosphere than the crowded high rise beaches at the massive hotel end of the island.

I believe the some what remote "Spanish Cove" (or something like that) had the best reputation for snorkeling which again is a bus stop on the more remote side of the island bus route. They were in the process of developing this site for more tourist access when we were there a year ago.

Best snorkeling was on Bonaire taking the ferry to "Little Bonaire". There was a beach that was somewhat walkable from the Aruba port area (long walk), heading slightly out of town towards the hotel direction of that island that actually looked like the best beach option of all. No one was there and it was very pretty and appeared to have some good snorkeling options.

• 5 months later...
By all means, go on the Jolly Pirates of Aruba. You will never forget it. It is one of our all-time favorite excursions and we sail with them every time we go to Aruba. They have a nice web site.

Just curious how you get to Moomba beach. Do you take a taxi or is there a bus?

We did a snorkel excursion in Aruba and very disappointed. Too many people. Every boat on the island seemed to be there. Luckily our boat broke down just as we got there so we had to (slowly) return to the dock and all money refunded. We were glad as didn't want to snorkel with the hoards of people there. Possibly other excursions are different but this was our experience.

Take the bus. Big bus parking area close to dock. Ask any driver what bus to take to a nice beach. Ask driver of the bus to beach to drop you off. Private beaches didn't seem to care if you were there as long as you didn't use chairs/umbrellas when needed by authorized guests. Most locals speak enough English that you won't have a language problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Take the bus. Big bus parking area close to dock. Ask any driver what bus to take to a nice beach. Ask driver of the bus to beach to drop you off. Private beaches didn't seem to care if you were there as long as you didn't use chairs/umbrellas when needed by authorized guests. Most locals speak enough English that you won't have a language problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure we totally agree. Most bus drivers, if they are friendly, and simply going to tell you to go to Palm Beach or possibly Eagle. These are the two most popular beaches on the island. As to Private Beaches, they really do not exist on Aruba. The only Private Beach of which we are aware is actually on a small island off of Aruba and operated by the Renaissance Hotel. DePalm Island is private and visited by some excursions. But all Aruba beaches are public beaches and you are free to plop yourself (and a towel) down just about anywhere without paying a fee. If you want chairs and umbrella or palapa you will have to find a place that rents to the public. These rental folks do exist on both Palm and Eagle Beach. Some other beaches such as Manchebo do not have any vendors who will rent to the general public.

So my advice is that if you want to go to any beach other then Eagle or Palm...you do your homework before leaving home. Nearly all the West Coast beaches can be reached by one of two bus lines. Beaches elsewhere on the island can be more complicated to reach via public transit (Baby Beach being about the most difficult).

Hank

• 7 months later...
On 1/16/2018 at 12:09 AM, LeeW said:

The best place we ever snorkeled there was off the south end of the main runway (Runway Beach). About two feet of absolutely clear water, nice coral and nose to nose with a lot of fish, even octopi. We had a ship excursion there, but other folks arrived by cab. The tour operator also brought in folks by bus from town so you can likely find locals that do shore snorkeling with an internet search.

This is a really old thread, but thought I'd reply in hopes that you (LeeW) will see this and can help.  I'll be in Aruba March 3 on the Koningsdam.  Apparently, it's Carnival that day and there's a parade from 10 -7 which I've heard may make getting to and from the ship challenging.

I searched for info on Runway Beach and didn't find any, but could it be the same as Surfside Beach, which is about a mile from the ship and at the end of a runway?  It's our last port day, so I'd like to get to a beach, preferably one where I can snorkel at least a little.  The ship excursions don't look great, and I don't want to go far on a non-ship excursions given what I've learned about the crowds and taxi situation during the parade.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, BSinPNS said:

We would second Aruba Bob.  Great time.  Small group.  Enjoy!

Normally, I'd look into that.  I was about to book with Jolly Pirates, also highly recommended, but learned of the situation with the Parade the day we're in port.  So not chancing a non-HAL excursion.  People in our roll call have said they've heard we could have issues getting back to ship if we're on the opposite side of the street and various excursion providers have said taxis could be an issue.  So if I get off and find out I can get to Surfside Beach and back and stay port side of the parade, I may walk.  

Bus # 10 across from port will take youto Boca Catalina ...ask driver .You. Will need your ownequipment ..no facilities there ....thats where all the exvursion boatsgo 

as far as the wreck is concerned it gave myson and I the creeps we did not like it ..it was very spooky and creepy 

have fun